NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

cooling woes...check this out!

F22trainer

OK, don't everyone roll your eyes...but I learned something today.

Had the car in for oil change and A/C recharge, along with a few other little things. (CLASSIC ROCKS!)

A/C was getting a bit weak at times and thought it just needed a shot of freon maybe. Well we all know how I've been whinning about my coolant temps and guess what we found out:

as you know by now I added the B4P second cooling fan which helped somewhat with the temps and it seemed that the existing fan was working properly as it was coming on when it should. Well, in checking the A/C, Joe noticed the fan was not turning very fast at all (not the B4P unit) and tapping the unit caused it to speed up...OK, bad fan. Seems as though that fan was weak to begin with, gradually got worse, and the B4P unit had been taking up the slack, and by replacing the bad fan - more air was brought through the condenseras well as the radiator, thus allowing the A/C AND radiator to work more efficiently!

Now the good part...

Drove in city traffic at lunch with A/C on max the whole time - the results, please...

Temps got no higher than 222º in stop and go driving from Ind. School to Washington St., via 7th st. When the rpms came up, the temps started dropping immediately. Previously they would rise about a degree every 30 seconds when stopped at a light, surge a few degrees on acceleration, drop a degree or two until I hit the next light and then the temps would go a couple degrees above what it was at the previous light, etc. Today, even when sitting at the light, if I gave her a few extra RPM's the temp would start to drop right away...HURRAY!!!! (used to only make it get hotter)

When moving in traffic the temps came right down to a nice 214º.

So what did I learn...even if your fan is working - make sure it is wroking PROPERLY. Seems kind of obvious now that as hot as these cars run, the cooling system has to be totally 100%, in order to adequately cool the beast.

Hope this helps someone else out!

A/C and cooling sytem is now "104%, go with throttle up"! :thumbs

score!!

I know how good it feels when you dont have to fret about overheating.

cheers

chad

MORE HARD DATA...

From downtown, the SR51 was bumper to bumper 10-15 MPH from I-10 all the way to Bethany Home. I had the A/C on MAX from the time I left the Civic Plaza Garage. My temp was 185º when I got on the freeway (via Jefferson from 7th St. to the I-10), the temp maxed at 222º while crepping along, dropping a few degrees occaisionally and coming back to 222º but never once above. Once traffic got moving it settled at 214º and stayed there all the way to Andrew's house! The sat and car heat soaked for about 15 minutes while we chatted. When I started it - 224º, by the time I backed out of the driveway - 214º, again. I have just enjoyed a cool and comfortable commute, sans the overheating anxiety of heavy traffic.

THANX ChadC - I could hear you yellin' SCORE from my office!

Headers and exhaust are right around the corner... :D

When I first got mine (back in May), it would climb as high as 230-235. While pulling my harmonic balancer I noticed this layer of what could only be described as "felt." While in there I cleaned that off and about 2 pounds of dirt/sand from the radiator vanes. I could not believe how much dirt that thing was holding?!?!? :chris

Now even in this hot weather and some stop and go nothing above 220-225. In open air at speed only 200-210.