NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Keeping Cool?

Jakeoman

Any C5 corvette owners have any cooling mods for cheap that help a modified vette like myself survive these 120 degree days? My coolant temps are sittin around 220 and oil temps sittin around 235 at all time and it bothers me... Lookin to shave 20 degrees off... (ive already tried "Purple Ice", brand new thermostat, water pump, coolant crossover pipe, 30/70 mixture) Anyone had any good experiences with aftermarket radiators? Different fans?

What temp are your fans set to come on? The temps you are seeing are what GM designed for and not harmful at all. My car runs at 199 pretty much all the time just from changing the fans to come on earlier.

Clean out the crap that's stuck in the fins of the radiator and AC condenser.

my fans are tuned to keep the car at 205. so basically they are on ALL the time. haha I suppose your all right and I wont worry to much about it

Clean off the radiator/condenser fins, it'll make a huge difference. The last time I had mine cleaned 2 years ago I was running similar temps you're seeing, once it was clean it was pretty consisent around 199. Side note (Sean will remember this), I was running a bit hot after passes at the AutoX so I knew it was time to clean it again. I'm getting ready to head out on vacation (taking the Vette) so I dropped it off at LPM earlier in the week for service and a good look over. I requested they pressure wash the radiator/condenser, once they removed the Circle K cup and washed everything out the temps are back to normal! :thumbs That cup was likely jambed up there while I was at the AutoX!

Clean off the radiator/condenser fins, it'll make a huge difference. The last time I had mine cleaned 2 years ago I was running similar temps you're seeing, once it was clean it was pretty consisent around 199.

Side note (Sean will remember this), I was running a bit hot after passes at the AutoX so I knew it was time to clean it again. I'm getting ready to head out on vacation (taking the Vette) so I dropped it off at LPM earlier in the week for service and a good look over. I requested they pressure wash the radiator/condenser, once they removed the Circle K cup and washed everything out the temps are back to normal! :thumbs That cup was likely jambed up there while I was at the AutoX!

Sure it wasn't a cone that you ran over? :smilelol OK, jus kiddin' Jim. :P

Clean off the radiator/condenser fins, it'll make a huge difference. The last time I had mine cleaned 2 years ago I was running similar temps you're seeing, once it was clean it was pretty consisent around 199.

Side note (Sean will remember this), I was running a bit hot after passes at the AutoX so I knew it was time to clean it again. I'm getting ready to head out on vacation (taking the Vette) so I dropped it off at LPM earlier in the week for service and a good look over. I requested they pressure wash the radiator/condenser, once they removed the Circle K cup and washed everything out the temps are back to normal! :thumbs That cup was likely jambed up there while I was at the AutoX!

Sure it wasn't a cone that you ran over? :smilelol OK, jus kiddin' Jim. :P

:smilelol

Mine was running just fine temp wise at the autoX...never got above 200 while waiting in line and at the end of a run only at 205. With the higher temps now I'm seeing 220 in traffic all the time.

I agree on cleaning out the front of the radiator/condensor. These cars are like vacuum cleaners.

• 2 weeks later...

the cities used to use street sweepers, but since there are so many corvettes on the road cleaning them up theres no need.

Just did mine last night. Found A/C condenser cleaner in an aerosol can at homedepot for like $5. 1can was about right for the fronts of both the condenser and radiator.

As stated, lower fan kick on temps, clean out the Radiator and Condenser, I installed Flex-a-Lite fans for a little more space and better flow, My car with AC on hardly ever see's 220 in stop and go it really takes a long time of stop and go for it to get close. I am also finishing my low cost version for a dual core radiator upgrade as soon as I can find a LS1 Vette Radiator that's bad but the plastic tank ends are usable. Might turn out to be a nice upgrade for cheap if you can source one the way I did and have a shop like Performance Radiator clean and set it up for you.

If anyone needs to clean their A/C condensor and radiator, I've got the hardware to do so. Let me know and we can do it at my house, or I can show you what needs to be done. I clean my stuff twice a year now and have no cooling problems.

• 4 weeks later...