NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Charity stops here

check6x

Just prior to going to NORC (Silver State)I had the swirls removed from the paint. Arriving in Ely the car needed washed, it was cold and there was charity car wash so why not? Now the car is covered in swirls. There was a black vette behind me, one of the after market builds with a large hump and opening in the hood, I wonder if he is also unhappy?

I had a long response typed up here, but it got lost. Here are the cliff notes: 1. That sucks. Seriously. 2. Possibility number one, the detailer used a really good synthetic sealant when they removed the original swirls. The dirty little charity car wash people messed up the sealant. I would try a clay bar and reapply the sealant by hand and see what it looks like. 3. Possibility number two. The charity car scratchers used a super harsh detergent with dirty mits and rags which scratched the crap out of your car installing swirls while you handed them cash for the priveledge. You are back to square one and needing them removed again. Properly. 4. Having no idea who the original detailer was or what he/she used to buff out the original swirls...its possible they were never removed in the first place. Many polishes have fillers which can hide the swirls temporarily. After several washes with good car shampoo (or one with Dawn dish liquid), the fillers were removed, exposing the original swirls. Either way, you are back to square one.

Extender32

This is why I never let anyone wash my car. Nobody will take care of your car like you do. I'm sure Ted or Willis would be more than happy to detail your car but after attending Ted's do-it-yourself training session, I want to detail my own car and have it look like his.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Unfortunately that sounds about right. I'm going with option 3 listed from Ted. You really think those guys know much about car washing? Hell most CAR WASHERS don't know jack about it. Here is a little horror story for you. One of my clients who owns a tricked out Camaro told me when he was younger his school was holding a charity wash as well. They had all kinds of cars coming in and out all day. Towards the end of the day one of the teachers went to grab a 'sponge' out of the bucket and guess what they pulled out instead....STEEL WOOL! One of the kids had brought STEEL WOOL to use for washing the cars, not knowing any better of course. :facepalm: With that being said, next time just give them the $ for whatever the charitable cause is :). And while yes some detailers will use fillers to hide swirls...more than i care to think of lol...CHANCES are...if you have had your car washed a few times since they removed the swirls, something would have started showing back up by now... Crappy part, Vettes have hard ass paint and it takes a lot of work to correct their paint. And as to the guy with the black vette, chances are he doesn't even know what swirls are lol. Just my thoughts.

Unless the volunteers for the carwash look like this: I do not stop

Unfortunately that sounds about right. I'm going with option 3 listed from Ted. You really think those guys know much about car washing? Hell most CAR WASHERS don't know jack about it.

Here is a little horror story for you.

One of my clients who owns a tricked out Camaro told me when he was younger his school was holding a charity wash as well. They had all kinds of cars coming in and out all day. Towards the end of the day one of the teachers went to grab a 'sponge' out of the bucket and guess what they pulled out instead....STEEL WOOL! One of the kids had brought STEEL WOOL to use for washing the cars, not knowing any better of course. :facepalm:

With that being said, next time just give them the $ for whatever the charitable cause is :).

And while yes some detailers will use fillers to hide swirls...more than i care to think of lol...CHANCES are...if you have had your car washed a few times since they removed the swirls, something would have started showing back up by now...

Crappy part, Vettes have hard ass paint and it takes a lot of work to correct their paint. And as to the guy with the black vette, chances are he doesn't even know what swirls are lol. Just my thoughts.

My true story goes just a little further. When I was in high school about 95 years ago, our junior class held a car wash to help pay for the prom. I didn't go but saw the damage. One of the girls actually was using a brillo pad to help get the Kansas dirt off the cars. She ruined 6 or 7 paint jobs before anyone saw what she was doing. We obviously did not make any money from the wash. :facepalm:

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Unfortunately that sounds about right. I'm going with option 3 listed from Ted. You really think those guys know much about car washing? Hell most CAR WASHERS don't know jack about it.

Here is a little horror story for you.

One of my clients who owns a tricked out Camaro told me when he was younger his school was holding a charity wash as well. They had all kinds of cars coming in and out all day. Towards the end of the day one of the teachers went to grab a 'sponge' out of the bucket and guess what they pulled out instead....STEEL WOOL! One of the kids had brought STEEL WOOL to use for washing the cars, not knowing any better of course. :facepalm:

With that being said, next time just give them the $ for whatever the charitable cause is :).

And while yes some detailers will use fillers to hide swirls...more than i care to think of lol...CHANCES are...if you have had your car washed a few times since they removed the swirls, something would have started showing back up by now...

Crappy part, Vettes have hard ass paint and it takes a lot of work to correct their paint. And as to the guy with the black vette, chances are he doesn't even know what swirls are lol. Just my thoughts.

My true story goes just a little further. When I was in high school about 95 years ago, our junior class held a car wash to help pay for the prom. I didn't go but saw the damage. One of the girls actually was using a brillo pad to help get the Kansas dirt off the cars. She ruined 6 or 7 paint jobs before anyone saw what she was doing. We obviously did not make any money from the wash. :facepalm:

Ouch...nice. Well it wasn't used on the paint but...my mom was at a friends hosue and everytime she'd go there the neighbor would come out (80+ yr old man...) and tell her "Oh hey i can clear those headlights up for you no problem!" She'd tell him thank you but my kids take care of my car for me. So after abotu 4 or 5 times of her telling him NO...she came out to leave one day and the old man is leaning over infront of the car with AJax scrubbing the hell out of her lights.... :banghead

Ted, Thanks for the detailed reply. I wondered if there was something that would hide the swirls and wash out over time. That was the first was wash so I too see option three as the remedy. I have now taken off the sponsor decals and there is nothing but glossy, shiny paint where they were.

Unless the volunteers for the carwash look like this:

I do not stop

:agree I would make make an exception.

Looks like the hood emblem got a great scrubbing......... :banannarainbow:

I once had a tricked out black SS El Camino 4X4 on a Blazer chassis and had it washed at one of those...paint was F'd up real bad. Found out they were using powerded laundry detergent. :banghead

• 3 weeks later...

No one washes or details my cars but me :) It's just not worth it. With that said, a professional detailer would be the exception to that rule. They understand how to clean a car without killing the paint.

I do not stop

Nice... but get off the car! lol They can look good without sitting on the Vette :cool

I do not stop

Nice... but get off the car! lol They can look good without sitting on the Vette :cool

I'm thinking that would be a bitchin applicator....and applicatee :yesnod