NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

New turbo technology

Ted Y

Today, I heard from Two Snails about a new turbo technology where the turbos were sealed and did not require oil lines to be pumped to and from the turbos. Although they have not been installed in a Corvette yet to my knowledge, the possibilities are tempting in a car with limited space. It would make rear mount systems a lot easier. Perhaps someone could chime with more details about the manufacturer and product.

That would be nice. It seems to work fine on my procharger, but a turbo sees much more heat with the exhaust. Plumbing the oil lines was one of the biggest pains on my previous attempt. Along with finding a proper scavenge pump to get the oil back to the engine. I since found out for the feed line that nitrous lines work well and you can use the pills as restrictors. Copper line with compression fittings leaked badly. Plus I could never get a straight answer on just how much oil pressure the turbo should get.

Plus I could never get a straight answer on just how much oil pressure the turbo should get.

It's more about volume than pressure. You want enough to lubricate and cool, but not so much that it crosses the seals and blows smoke out the exhaust. Turbonetics recommends not using retrictors unless you are pushing oil past the seals.

Ted,

Comp Turbos has those. They use ball bearings and a special grease. http://www.compturbo.com/spotlights/oil_less.php

Plus I could never get a straight answer on just how much oil pressure the turbo should get.

It's more about volume than pressure. You want enough to lubricate and cool, but not so much that it crosses the seals and blows smoke out the exhaust. Turbonetics recommends not using retrictors unless you are pushing oil past the seals.

Ted,

Comp Turbos has those. They use ball bearings and a special grease. http://www.compturbo.com/spotlights/oil_less.php

I don't know that I would call this new technology, as guys on the big board have been discussing the Comp Turbos for over a year.

That being said, it's definitely cool that these can be mounted on any axis.

Looks like you still have to plumb in water coolant lines instead of oil lines.

Looks like you still have to plumb in water coolant lines instead of oil lines.

Yes. But unless your water pump fails, you always have water cooling. I called Comp today and they said they recommend a -6AN water feed and return plumbed into the heater lines.

Loud Pedal

Interesting to say the least. I would be much more comfortable plumbing coolant then engine oil. A crankcase can empty pretty fast if a line fails. That's one of the many reasons we stay away from the STS systems. I wonder what this would do to coolant temps though. I suppose either way the heat ends up back in the engine to be radiated out. It might even be more efficient to not have to soak the heat through the block and definately worth doing some homework.

Ive heard mixed reviews on these. Cool idea I think, especially for those doing remote systems.

Ive heard mixed reviews on these. Cool idea I think, especially for those doing remote systems.

Steve, what would be the potential negatives to a conventional turbo oil fed system?

Steve, what would be the potential negatives to a conventional turbo oil fed system?

I recall seeing someone having issue with longevity. Something along the lines of the grease passing the seal into the exhaust. Theres no constant supply of oil to the turbo so if a seal does leak in the future, its more likely to fail without notice. Might have been a rare case though. Curious to see more testing. They are fairly expensive but apparently can be mounted on any axis so there is more options as far as versatility with installation.

Steve I know a white frc that would be fun to try these on :-)

Sweet! Thanks for sponsoring my project Joe :D

When I busted the feed line off my STS kit I dumped 3 quarts of oil in about 30 seconds. If it wasn't for the humongous smoke cloud behind me I would have blown my motor.

When I busted the feed line off my STS kit I dumped 3 quarts of oil in about 30 seconds. If it wasn't for the humongous smoke cloud behind me I would have blown my motor.

Dude, how did you manage that? That sounds like a story in itself.

I was racing my Avalanche at the Glamis sand drags. 22" wheels and 4 wheel drive. At the end of the run a Ford Bronco side swiped me. $8k in damage to my truck. The hit made the turbo jump up and break the feed line off.

Holy shit, dude! That's a story to hang your hat on right there. I couldn't even get my original turbo oil feed fittings off without removing both the compressor and turbine housings.

Holy shit, dude! That's a story to hang your hat on right there.

I couldn't even get my original turbo oil feed fittings off without removing both the compressor and turbine housings.

Next time try hitting them with a Bronco first.

You should have been there the time I raced my Mitsubishi Evo at the sand drags. Over 100mph scooting along in the sand and beating some of the lower powered rails.

Going off topic here for a minute. Jon, sounds like you're had a lot of different fast cars. What's your impression of the bone stock C6 so far?

Going off topic here for a minute. Jon, sounds like you're had a lot of different fast cars. What's your impression of the bone stock C6 so far?

I was thoroughly unimpressed with the stock shocks and sway bars. Since I put the Pfadt shocks and sways on I like the C6 the best of the cars I've owned. WRX, Evo, M3, S2000, GTO, and turbo Avalanche. 2nd place would be my old 600hp supercharged fire engine red 1968 Impala fastback.