NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 differential leak

Guest Bradsc5

Guest Bradsc5

My 98 started leaking from the driver's side of the differential. It seems to be a common problem with the c5. I called AZ Power&Sound who referred me to AZ Differential. The guy there quoted me a repair price of $375 which seems reasonable but they need the car for a couple of days. Next I called John Sheldon at Gateway Chevy and he quoted a charge of $1600!! I also have a call into Extreme but haven't heard back yet. How can there be an almost $1300 difference in the same job? Has anyone else had this fixed? Is there somewhere else I should be taking the car to? Any help/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

I think it depends on where the leak is ultimately coming from. My car was @ the dealership last week due to column lock. While there I had them check a small diff leak I have (drip really). They told me the leak is coming from the inspection plate & would have to drop the entire axle to get to it. The service guy told me it would be covered by my extended warranty & therefore I didn't ask him the cost. However, if they drop the entire axle I could see how it could get pretty expensive.

Jim

Its a 98 w/ 45,ooo miles, I can get an ext. warranty?

Knowing that now, I don't believe so. I didn't know the year and such. Anybody else know for sure? Hope you can find a good fix that don't cost you much!

Its a 98 w/ 45,ooo miles, I can get an ext. warranty?

Knowing that now, I don't believe so. I didn't know the year and such. Anybody else know for sure? Hope you can find a good fix that don't cost you much!

You can still buy an extended warranty, but they have a waiting period after you start before they will cover it. Also, if they inspect the vehicle and see that it looks like the problem has been happening for a while, they will deny the claim.

Hope that helps.

You can get one, but hugely expensive. I just bought my 99 with 46,000 miles. Bank offered me warranty...$4,000!!!!! :crazy

Guest Bradsc5

I think I might have a deal working to swap in a used DTE unit with 3.90's through Mike at AZ P&S. All the warranty companies I've checked want to inspect the car and the leak is pretty visible. Has anyone here made the jump from 3.15 to 3.90? Wondering what to hope for in seat of the pants performance and what to fear in mpg loss.

I think I might have a deal working to swap in a used DTE unit with 3.90's through Mike at AZ P&S. All the warranty companies I've checked want to inspect the car and the leak is pretty visible. Has anyone here made the jump from 3.15 to 3.90? Wondering what to hope for in seat of the pants performance and what to fear in mpg loss.

I went from 2.73s to 3.42s and it made a noticable difference. As far as 3.15s to 3.90s, you should really notice it.

As for the fear in MPG loss, you will experience the lead foot syndrome. With the new :burnout ability you will be putting more gas as well as rear tires if you do not stay out of it.

Something to understand, with the 3.90 gears, you will be at 3900 rpms in 3rd (Auto Trany) at 75 mph. I can not remember how much the rpms dropped when in overdrive.

Have fun :burnout

• 3 weeks later...
My 98 started leaking from the driver's side of the differential. It seems to be a common problem with the c5. I called AZ Power&Sound who referred me to AZ Differential. The guy there quoted me a repair price of $375 which seems reasonable but they need the car for a couple of days. Next I called John Sheldon at Gateway Chevy and he quoted a charge of $1600!! I also have a call into Extreme but haven't heard back yet. How can there be an almost $1300 difference in the same job? Has anyone else had this fixed? Is there somewhere else I should be taking the car to? Any help/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Chevy dealer in Alb,NM quoted me $450 to replace gasket on driver side Diff cover. They can get to it without dropping shaft!!! that is total :bs

Thanks,

Brad

Chevy dealer in Alb,NM quoted me $450 to replace gasket on driver side Diff cover. They can get to it without dropping shaft!!! that is total :bs

:agree I was just talkin' about this in another thread, so I went and dug up my receipt. Lou Grubb, now Power Chevy, charged me $340 for the diff seal/leak repair. Also do a search on CF, there are lots of threads (its very common), and some even mention the Service Bulletins issued by GM. Good luck!