NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Negotiations

1EVLC7

What was told to me a long time ago by a dealer parts guy was, each dealer sets their own prices (mark-up) on parts. This is not governed by GM, Ford, Dodge or whoever the OEM happens to be. Just call around to the various dealers for the same part and see if the price changes, I was amazed at the difference sometimes depending on the part. Unless I have to have it "right now", I go online.

Having had 5 new homes built in the past 15 years we have always negotiated on them and saved thousands over the asking price, the house in arizona we were able to save over $25,000.00. Cars have always been a toss up, our new cars were harder to work with and we were always close to the list with the small items only neg ( add ons by the dealer ) My first wife was the office mgr. for 12 dealerships and I watched how they priced every thing and yes most of their profit came from the back shop, look at your bill, it is based on a fixed hour price , even if they finished sooner. I am new to the area and have not had a chance to work with coulter cad but he seems really to care about us (Corvette guys).

Well the dealers did start it and now the consumer will finish it. When GM was marking up the original ZR-1 for double MSRP, they deserve all the bad press for not budging when the buying power is on the other foot. Also if the cars didn't cost so damn much to produce, maybe the dealers could get a better price and pass it on to the consumer. GM is still saddled with a pile pensions. Maybe the model is flipped. You mentioned a steak you're being served. The waiter isn't paid for ripping you off on your meal, effectively encouraged to give you the worst deal with a monetary reward. Instead the waiter is depending on the patron to tip them for their service and honesty. I bet the salesmen would be a lot more up front about pricing of the car if they were dependent on the consumer for their gratuity. Van in north Scottsdale recently performed warranty work on the G8 for a faulty water pump. The proceeded to recommend to my wife another $700+ in basic maintenance. That is a ripoff and sets precedence for the type of businesses dealers are. They also didn't do a recall on the airbag. Great job there guys! Ed however, has provided me with outstanding service and I dread the day I have to go to a different dealer.

Desertdawg

Why wouldn't every dealer let the customer haggle? The greatest reward I ever had was the only NEW truck I bought, my 93 Crew Dually, I haggled them down a couple of grand on the price, then I told them what I wanted for my trade in. I probably paid too much for the new truck and didn't get enough for my trade but I bragged for a year about my cunning ability to "get what I wanted" out of them... When the new thing was "No Haggle Prices" I said I wouldn't even waste my time stopping at any of those dealers!

Desertdawg

I guess I should also mention that I'm the king of "openbox, scratch&dent, floor model" appliance negotiations...

Why wouldn't every dealer let the customer haggle?

The greatest reward I ever had was the only NEW truck I bought, my 93 Crew Dually, I haggled them down a couple of grand on the price, then I told them what I wanted for my trade in.

I probably paid too much for the new truck and didn't get enough for my trade but I bragged for a year about my cunning ability to "get what I wanted" out of them...

When the new thing was "No Haggle Prices" I said I wouldn't even waste my time stopping at any of those dealers!

And the Sales Manager bragged about sticking it to Santa and making him smile while he did it. :lol

Desertdawg

Sorry Eddie, back then I didn't look like Santa, I looked more like Dan Haggerty... aka Grizzly Adams.

Minus the BeeGee's hairdo

Posted Image

Desertdawg

Sorry to burst your bubble Deano, this is the oldest picture I have on any puter, circ, 1998 or about 5 years after buying my new truck... I wasn't always grey...but I was always hairy!

1988? Judging by the Vietnam era graininess of that pic, I am thinking 1968.

If we could only embed videos....

You know what? That is some heavy shit, video link removed...

Desertdawg

it is grainy because all I had at the time was a floppy disk camera and it took lousy photos

I think you are getting a floppy disk camera, and those old Kodak Disc cameras confused... post-1078-081598500 1337832459.jpg

I think you are getting a floppy disk camera, and those old Kodak Disc cameras confused...

post-1078-081598500 1337832459.jpg

No, those did not take a digital photos Parker. :lol

There used to be a floppy disk camera that used the 3.5 in floppy. I had one. :facepalm:

Posted Image

Actually, I've had both. :lol

Sorry to burst your bubble Deano, this is the oldest picture I have on any puter, circ, 1998 or about 5 years after buying my new truck...

I wasn't always ghey...but I was always beary!

Fixed.

There used to be a floppy disk camera that used the 3.5 in floppy. I had one. :facepalm:

Posted Image

Dude, if you are telling me the picture of Zack Gallafanakis' perverted uncle kneeling by his "bait plane" was taken with a digital camera, you are high....

Posted Image

Dude, if you are telling me the picture of Zack Gallafanakis' perverted uncle kneeling by his "bait plane" was taken with a digital camera, you are high....

So you don't think there were digital cameras in the mid-to-late 90's, or you were high and can't remember back then?