NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Pics showing the difference on the 2012+ exhaust systems

FNBADAZ06

FNBADAZ06

A member on the big boards just changed out his 2012 C6 Z06 exhaust (with 4 cats) to the earlier 2011-older exhaust with the 2 cats. His pics showed the difference in lengths of the two different x-pipes, and the length difference in the exhaust pipe plumbing coming out of the primary cat's. It also shows there are no additional O2 sensors added past the secondary cats.

As of 2012, all C6 models have this new 4 cat exhaust, which means that any aftermarket exhaust built for earlier models is NOT a direct bolt-on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

NoWorries

Looks like the ball and socket positions are switched also. So now anyone doin a C6 2012+ header swap will have to do a midpipe too until the aftermarket adjusts?

FNBADAZ06

Looks like the ball and socket positions are switched also. So now anyone doin a C6 2012+ header swap will have to do a midpipe too until the aftermarket adjusts?

:yesnod

Is the 2011 x-pipe the same length as the earlier (what years?) h-pipe?

FNBADAZ06

Is the 2011 x-pipe the same length as the earlier (what years?) h-pipe?

Yes.

It doesn't appear to affect any aftermarket products. Headers tie into their own x-pipes and muffler systems are identical. The only real concern is people buying some 2012 stuff and some earlier stuff to put on a LS2/3 car. If it was me with the 2012, I'd simply cut out the rear cats and welded in a straight section.

FNBADAZ06

It doesn't appear to affect any aftermarket products. Headers tie into their own x-pipes and muffler systems are identical. The only real concern is people buying some 2012 stuff and some earlier stuff to put on a LS2/3 car.

If it was me with the 2012, I'd simply cut out the rear cats and welded in a straight section.

It would affect all cat-back exhaust systems.....the down pipe from the cats for the newer 2012 cars is longer. If you were adding long tubes in addition to the rest of the exhaust I would agree with you.

It doesn't appear to affect any aftermarket products. Headers tie into their own x-pipes and muffler systems are identical. The only real concern is people buying some 2012 stuff and some earlier stuff to put on a LS2/3 car.

If it was me with the 2012, I'd simply cut out the rear cats and welded in a straight section.

It would affect all cat-back exhaust systems.....the down pipe from the cats for the newer 2012 cars is longer. If you were adding long tubes in addition to the rest of the exhaust I would agree with you.

A cat back on a Vette is only the over-the-axle pipe and muffler, which is the same as 2011. Yes, the down pipe is longer, but the x-pipe is shorter to compensate, so no change from there back.

Anybody switching to headers would also use the matching aftermarket x-pipe, so no change there either.

I don't understand why someone would go through the expense and time to change both down pipes and x-pipe, rather than simply cut out the cats and stick in a straight pipe. Do they think they'll have an engine warranty problem and intend to deceive a mechanic at a dealership.

Posted Image

So what's your point with that pic?

See the very first pic you posted and notice how the x-pipes compensated to allow the back end of each system to remain at the same location.

You can bet GM didn't change the length of the over-axle pipe. Therefore the aftermarket "cat-back" market is not affected.

The header market never hooked up to stock x-pipes anyway, so they aren't affected either.

Posted Image

The header market never hooked up to stock x-pipes anyway, so they aren't affected either

simple, Tom......

2012 Corvette's can not just "bolt-on" the complete exhaust systems (mid pipe and over axle combo) from 2011 and earlier Corvettes OR aftermarket units without...

a) installing headers, or

b) using the 2012 cat assembly.

The B&B headers attach to the existing OEM mid-pipe, so your statement is not 100% factual. It is the sole reason I went with B&B headers.

Pretty simple, no ?

Victor, have you installed those headers yet?

Nope, still collecting dust in the garage. :facepalm:

My car's tags are due next month and I think I'll be going thru emission testing (OBDII), so I definetly don't need any emission readiness test to get in my way. While I have HP Tuners now, which could help with that issue, I'm not ready to dive into that arena yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The header market never hooked up to stock x-pipes anyway, so they aren't affected either

simple, Tom......

2012 Corvette's can not just "bolt-on" the complete exhaust systems (mid pipe and over axle combo) from 2011 and earlier Corvettes OR aftermarket units without...

The B&B headers attach to the existing OEM mid-pipe, so your statement is not 100% factual. It is the sole reason I went with B&B headers.

Pretty simple, no ?

Anyone with an LS2/3 certainly wouldn't bother putting on a 2012 Z06 system. So that seems like the only ones really affected are the 2012 Z06 owners who don't want the second cat, but want the first one, and are unwilling to cut and weld in a straight section. Also, those rare owners who want B&B headers.

I was not aware that B&B used the stock mid-pipe. Maybe that's why LG, Kooks, and AR have nearly all the header market.

Posted Image

simple, Tom......

Pretty simple, no ?

Anyone with an LS2/3 certainly wouldn't bother putting on a 2012 Z06 system. So that seems like the only ones really affected are the 2012 Z06 owners who don't want the second cat, but want the first one, and are unwilling to cut and weld in a straight section. Also, those rare owners who want B&B headers.

I was not aware that B&B used the stock mid-pipe. Maybe that's why LG, Kooks, and AR have nearly all the header market.

:at wits end::leaving

Posted Image

I think what Steve is trying to say is:

Posted Image

I could care less about the length of all your pipes. :partygrnhat: I am thoroughly amused by this thread however. :LolLol: