NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Escalade hit a spay can

Final Effort

Final Effort

My son in Ohio has a Black Escalade. On Friday on his way out of town he hit a can of white spray paint. He says the whole hood and one side has like white over spray on it. Today he tried to remove it without much luck. I suggested Polish or Rubbing compound, using the lightest then working back to the course as necessary to do the job. He tried Clay bar it works but he said he really had to work it. He tried Keroseen with not results. Any suggestions ?

Final Effort

Thinner

As in lacquer or enamel ? I also was thinking of mineral spirits.

Final Effort

Ok; I just talked to my kid and told him to try the Lacquer Thinner. Thanks

Or very careful masking, and sand with a 2500, then clay, and machine polish. Ted will chime in soon as teh resident expert!

I would say start easy and work up. You can get ahold of a more aggressive clay than stuff sold at retail stores. If more was needed, I'd go with a buffer and polish. If more needed, I would go with a cut and a wool pad. I would not try chemical thinners or strippers. They could weaken the clear coat. Wet sanding would be the final option...

If all the above fails he could buy a second can of white and spritz the other half to match, sell it as "custom" paint. :bang

sand with a 2500,

Then you'll have to use a compound to cut into the clear to polish out your sanding scratches,

a cut and a wool pad.

I would not try chemical thinners or strippers. They could weaken the clear coat.

Are you not going to weaken the clear coat by sanding or cutting into the clear coat?

Or better yet, take it to your local stealership and tell them you have a defect in your paint and GM should take care of it for Customer Enthusiasm!

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Claying is a bitch, but its always been my best bet. If you don't want to go with conventional clay you can give him two other options. One is the 'hi-tech magna sponge": http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/bhs-212.html The other one is quite new and is called the Super Speedy Prep Towel: http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/speedy-surface-prep-towel-ssp-589.html I own both and both are very easy to use and don't give the hassle clay bars do. They're both also pretty aggressive. There IS a new decontamination set up where you hook a disc to a dual action polisher, its made by the same group who made the Speedy Prep Towel. Then you just go over the area with the dual action polisher and the disc SAFELY removes the contaminants. This is the kit: http://www.nanoskinusa.com/_e/AUTOSCRUB_System/product/AS-004/AUTOSCRUB_6_Start_Up_Kit.htm It comes in 3" also. I'd give IT a try....WAY safer than paint thinner...less agressive than sanding (and safer) and if you do the Dual Action set up, the machine does most of the work for you. The thing with going straight to compounding as Ted suggested is: A: You're gonna remove clear coat that you don't HAVE to be removing B: You're going to remove the overspray, but it will transfer to your pad and then get run all over your good paint thus causing marring/swirls. I'd avoid that IF you can...if it comes down to it then i guess you do what you gotta do, but id use 3000 grit paper and take my time to cut it slowly. Hopefully the items i listed above will help though.

Good suggestion. I'm betting the black SUV will need to be detailed anyway. Black cars almost always do. Gotta pick me up a magna sponge. Thanks!

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Yeah if its black it needs polishing lol. Im going to order the autoscrub set up and see how it works...magna sponge is a nice tool, just be careful, soft paint can get marring from it so, just do a test spot first :)

Always. Thanks for the info, sir. Learning stuff every day. I'm thinking of getting one of the Flex circular (not DA) polishers with the smaller backing plate for the 5" pads. Do you have any experience with those?

Blk n Blu

3-M adhesive cleaner works well and is not as agressive as laquer thinner. :2cents

Guest Sidewinder

Thanks for the links to the autoscrub and sponge!! I'm in!! Save the paint thinner for happy hour. I get rail dust all over my vehicles from this damn rail gun.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Always. Thanks for the info, sir. Learning stuff every day.

I'm thinking of getting one of the Flex circular (not DA) polishers with the smaller backing plate for the 5" pads. Do you have any experience with those?

Are you talking about like the 3404 or the PE Flex,the rotary ones? No i haven't tried those. I have the Makita and the DeWalt (older one). The Makita is much smoother IMO. The Flex rotaries ive heard are good with smaller pads...i usually use one rotary for my 5-6" pads and a second one for 3-4" pads so i dont have to change back n fourth depending on the area im polishing. I think the Flex would be good for the little guys 5" and under...ive heard they dont quite have the power to move the bigger guys as well as the full size rotaries like the Makita