NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

A4 Transmission fluid flush

Eddie44

I don't know how many of you saw this thread on CF C5 General. I emailed Mike at AZP&S the other day to ask about getting my A4 flushed. He advised with a higher mileage (54k on mine) he wouldn't necessarily recommend it. He said he's seen them start slipping after a fluid flush. The below thread kinda confirms the great advise Mike gave.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread...#post1556088876

Just a heads up for some of you A4 owners. :thumbs

i have heard that many 'a times - they say NEVER flush with a high mileage trans - just drain the pan and refill - what i heard (and i don't recall the exact words) was that there is a metal "bond" in the fluid that helps prevent slip - i'm not sure if the metal is shavings or what, but when you drain that fluid it removes that "bond"

i don't know if it's ever really been proven - as who's got the time and money to replace the trans after the 'test' is complete!

i say just change the filter and the fluid that's in the pan then and be done with it!

Guest LT4ME

If you flush your trans at factory recommended intervals from day one, you'll never have any issues caused by the flush (as long as whomever does it doesn't use some crap chemical), the trouble comes from flushing transmissions that have not been properly maintained. The flushing agent can dislodge debris, then redeposit it somewhere else in the trans, causing line pressure issues, solenoid issues, valve body issues and other things up to and/or including complete trans failure.

If you have more than 30k on the clock and have never serviced your trans, have the trans tech do a pan service first, then evaluate at that point whether you've created some headaches for yourself by ignoring recommend maintenance intervals.

If you've bought the vehicle used and don't know for an absolute fact the trans was properly maintained, assume the worst and opt for the pan service.

Good flush chemical suppliers are Granatize (my perferred vendor) or B&G (a company started by ex-Granatize employs using chemical formulations back-engineered from Granatize products). I can't remember the names of some of the bad ones I've encountered, but they are out there.

What is with CF, i can never get there page to download fully so I cannot browse the forum worth a crap?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clement

i'm glad i read this post... i changed the filter and fluid from the pan and cleaned the pan at ~95k and was considering flushing the system at 100k (soon), but after reading this, i'll leave it alone..