NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C6 QUESTION FOR RECHARGING MY A/C SYSTEM

SLAMMER

I have noticed my A/C system is no longer blowing as cold of air as it once did. I know the temps have been up these last few days however as I remember it felt much cooler in the past years. It's a 2006 I bought new in 2007. So I picked up some 134A coolant and a standard A/C fitting (I was told) filler unit with a pressure gauge. I read the instructions that told me to attach the filler hose to the low pressure line (the bigger line) with out the coolant bottle attached and read the pressure in the system. The nipple size seemed too big for the hose fitting. The other line was a smaller alum. line with a smaller fitting. It was too small and was the high pressure line. QUESTION...... Does GM have a proprietary filler nipple so that you have to go a buy a special tool? This fitting on the filler hose was the same size as many of the pre-filled kits and filler tools used to fill your A/C modern system. does the Corvette take some different coolant? Maybe that is why the 134A coolant filler tube did not fit my low pressure nipple. It seems like it is the same kind of fittings as on my air tools. You pull back the collar on one end and push the nibbled end into the female end and release the collar to make a connection. Simple enough...... right? Thanks for your input.... SLAMMER :bang :bang

Hope that you saw in the instructions what may happen if connecting to the smaller, high pressure end.... boom! Did you get the one with the adjustable ambient pressure gauge?

no special nipple (tee hee i said nipple *sniker*) but I offer a moment of pause. the A/C system is sealed. so in the event that it is low you have a failing part that is slow leaking. Filling it up will not solve the problem. A word of warning OVER filling will decrease the A/C performance. the first step is to get a Temp gague probe (not an IR unit) and record the outside temp, DIC displayed temp, and the temp of the air coming out of the vents. you can then cross reference the GM manual to see what type of temp drop there is Vs. what its supposed to be. You have a lot of hot rod parts that is reducing the A/C condenser ability to offload heat. You can use the temp whe freeway driving (not under boost) and see if the results change.

Guest Sidewinder

You would think Tim would stop working on his own vehicles. :smilelol Tim, don't you want to hook a gauge up to it first to see if it is low?

The gauge on the coolant will tell you if its low, also it has sealers in it for a small leak if you buy that one, I did it a few week ago and it works grea...plus you can't overfill it if you follow directions. Its fine so do it!

I have noticed my A/C system is no longer blowing as cold of air as it once did. I know the temps have been up these last few days however as I remember it felt much cooler in the past years. It's a 2006 I bought new in 2007. So I picked up some 134A coolant and a standard A/C fitting (I was told) filler unit with a pressure gauge. I read the instructions that told me to attach the filler hose to the low pressure line (the bigger line) with out the coolant bottle attached and read the pressure in the system. The nipple size seemed too big for the hose fitting. The other line was a smaller alum. line with a smaller fitting. It was too small and was the high pressure line.

QUESTION...... Does GM have a proprietary filler nipple so that you have to go a buy a special tool? This fitting on the filler hose was the same size as many of the pre-filled kits and filler tools used to fill your A/C modern system. does the Corvette take some different coolant? Maybe that is why the 134A coolant filler tube did not fit my low pressure nipple. It seems like it is the same kind of fittings as on my air tools. You pull back the collar on one end and push the nibbled end into the female end and release the collar to make a connection. Simple enough...... right?

Thanks for your input....

SLAMMER :bang :bang

Your problem is in bold. Please see a doctor.

I have noticed my A/C system is no longer blowing as cold of air as it once did. I know the temps have been up these last few days however as I remember it felt much cooler in the past years. It's a 2006 I bought new in 2007. So I picked up some 134A coolant and a standard A/C fitting (I was told) filler unit with a pressure gauge. I read the instructions that told me to attach the filler hose to the low pressure line (the bigger line) with out the coolant bottle attached and read the pressure in the system. The nipple size seemed too big for the hose fitting. The other line was a smaller alum. line with a smaller fitting. It was too small and was the high pressure line.

QUESTION...... Does GM have a proprietary filler nipple so that you have to go a buy a special tool? This fitting on the filler hose was the same size as many of the pre-filled kits and filler tools used to fill your A/C modern system. does the Corvette take some different coolant? Maybe that is why the 134A coolant filler tube did not fit my low pressure nipple. It seems like it is the same kind of fittings as on my air tools. You pull back the collar on one end and push the nibbled end into the female end and release the collar to make a connection. Simple enough...... right?

Thanks for your input....

Your problem is in bold. Please see a doctor.

:agree

no theres no special fitting for either high or low fittings, the government regulates that all the same as of 1996, all r-134a fittings are the same but some are easier to find than others. if your not sure which fitting is the high and which is the low, feel the line near it, if it feels cooler thats your low side fitting. if theres no noticable difference its best to have it looked at by a pro (you realy dont want to mix those two up), refridgerant will leak overtime (very slowly) but if its all gone you have an excessive leak. judging by the age of your car i think any more than .5-.7 lbs would indicate a slow leak, anymore than 1 is a large leak. also if the condenser has a bunch of junk stuck on it the high side pressure could spike enough to trigger the blow off valve.

You would think Tim would stop working on his own vehicles. :smilelol

Tim, don't you want to hook a gauge up to it first to see if it is low?

Yes Mark, That is what I was trying to do! to see how many pounds below 55-60 @105* ambient temp. it was. Then I would hook up and add the freon as needed with the same filler hose to arrive at the 55-60 lbs. I read the instructions three times even! :facepalm:

Silly question... where is the condenser located?

SLAMMER :bang

no theres no special fitting for either high or low fittings, the government regulates that all the same as of 1996, all r-134a fittings are the same but some are easier to find than others. if your not sure which fitting is the high and which is the low, feel the line near it, if it feels cooler thats your low side fitting. if theres no noticable difference its best to have it looked at by a pro (you realy dont want to mix those two up), refridgerant will leak overtime (very slowly) but if its all gone you have an excessive leak. judging by the age of your car i think any more than .5-.7 lbs would indicate a slow leak, anymore than 1 is a large leak. also if the condenser has a bunch of junk stuck on it the high side pressure could spike enough to trigger the blow off valve.

Now here someone who really tries to help!! However there are two different size lines and each has a black screw on dust cap and the larger size line I read to find the larger line and that would be the low pressure side. It is also has a bigger Male fitting. too big in fact to fit into the filler coupling that comes with the filler/pressure gauge hose. again it looks similar to a air compressor or water pressure hose fitting.

Thank you for our input it was very positive!

The condenser is usually just in front of the radiator. It's about 1/2 thick and is the heat exhanger(condenser) that your A/C uses to cool the refrigerant back down after running through the compressor. If it's plugged up with muck, you will not get as cold of air out your vents.

The condenser is usually just in front of the radiator. It's about 1/2 thick and is the heat exhanger(condenser) that your A/C uses to cool the refrigerant back down after running through the compressor. If it's plugged up with muck, you will not get as cold of air out your vents.

THANKS JON! I'LL CHECK IT OUT.

You also need to check the supercharger intercooler that's in front of the condenser. I have a simple tool to attach to a water hose, that will flush out dirt and bugs from those places. Give me a call if you want to borrow it. BTW, I'm 10 miles closer to you than before.

You also need to check the supercharger intercooler that's in front of the condenser.

I have a simple tool to attach to a water hose, that will flush out dirt and bugs from those places. Give me a call if you want to borrow it.

BTW, I'm 10 miles closer to you than before.

Good to know Tom!

Guest Sidewinder

Tim, you should definately take Tom up on the water tool. Most would be surprised at the crap that comes out of the rad, cond, I/C. Might cure your problem and make the vette run cooler.