NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

C5 Non Bose Speakers

chip4

Does anyone know the size of the door speakers on a non-Bose c5? Im pretty sure the rears are 5.25". I just upgraded the Delco cassette to an Alpine CDE-HD137BT and I want to tackle the speakers for my next project.

post-2024-009305000 1335034094.jpg

Can just match up the same size speaker. Or if you want to upgrade, look into speaker adapter plates. Various companies make them. Some people have made their own. Going with separate mid and tweet with a crossover will give better sound than using a dual purpose speaker. Corvetteforum has some articles on it as well that you can search. Also if you have not gone with a subwoofer yet and are thinking about it. There are companies that make boxes that fit into the well in the trunk that has the panel over it. Mounting amps to the rear panel towards the tail lights in the trunk area is common since there is plenty of room for wires and screws in the space between the trunk and tail lights. With easy access through the tail lamps. Careful of putting screws downwards in the trunk area as you don't want to puncture either of the dual gas tanks.

I just wanted to replace the 13 year old speakers with newer ones (drop ins). Im not an audiophile so just about any new modern speakers that can handle the 18watts RMS that the head unit puts out will sound great to me. Thanks for the advise.

I just wanted to replace the 13 year old speakers with newer ones (drop ins). Im not an audiophile so just about any new modern speakers that can handle the 18watts RMS that the head unit puts out will sound great to me. Thanks for the advise.

I'd recommend you send a PM to member Big Poppa or ChadC. They have some knowlege in this area.

BP was staying out of it as this can get to be a deep conversation... I agree with NOWORRIES for the most part. Buy the door adapter plates on ebay for like 20 bucks, stuff them with a set of component speakers (or coaxial if you truly don't care what it sounds like), match the rear speakers to the fronts, and be done with it. The rears are 5 1/4", the fronts come with an 8", and 4", but that's the Bose. I've never seen another factory set up though, so maybe you just have the 4". Don't just replace the 4" and be done though, or it will sound like you left your headphones out somewhere. You want that 6 1/2" in the door for the warmer sound of the lower notes a 4" won't produce.

If I remember right. (big if) Don't you have to change speakers anyways when taking out the bose deck? I know in my 90s cadillac the bose speakers had built on amps that only worked with the bose deck. Is this true of the setups in the vette as well? My stereo was changed pre-purchase, but have thought about upgrading the door speakers. Thus did alot of research and found out the above information. Mine has 5.5 or 6 inch door speakers with no tweets. Fine for blasting rock or rap, but not something you would want for high end music.

Only the 8" subs in the doors are powered by their own amps. The 4's in the door and rear speakers are powered by the deck. You can get a PAC adapter to run the subs, but we still aren't talking high fidelity...

BP was staying out of it as this can get to be a deep conversation...

I agree with NOWORRIES for the most part. Buy the door adapter plates on ebay for like 20 bucks, stuff them with a set of component speakers (or coaxial if you truly don't care what it sounds like), match the rear speakers to the fronts, and be done with it. The rears are 5 1/4", the fronts come with an 8", and 4", but that's the Bose. I've never seen another factory set up though, so maybe you just have the 4". Don't just replace the 4" and be done though, or it will sound like you left your headphones out somewhere. You want that 6 1/2" in the door for the warmer sound of the lower notes a 4" won't produce.

Sorry to disappoint you BP, I know this will limit my options -I just want to keep it simple because I will not be running wires, amps, or crossovers. I will try to stuff a coaxial or triaxial 6.5” in the fronts like you mentioned and just replace the rears. Thanks.