NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Holograms

Ted Y

Do you ever drive around and look at the finishes and shine on other cars as you drive down the road? I do. As long as it is safe to do so, when I stop at a red light, I can't help but look next to me and check out the paint on other cars. I can't help but notice when every once in a while you see something almost "moving" or "dancing" along the paint surface that follows a light source. I've posted hundreds of pictures of scratches and swirl marks already, but what about those dreaded holograms?

Just what are they? Do you know what they look like? What causes them and how the heck do you get rid of them?

I stole this picture from online to show you a most severe case of the holograms:

Posted Image

If this was in front of you, as you moved your head left to right, the patterns of the hologram would appear to float on the surface. So what causes them? Well, basically, holograms are hundreds of super fine micro scratches bundled next to each other. Most normal swirl marks are actually straight lines that go in all directions, so when you look at a light source, they appear to wrap around the light source in all directions.

Holograms are mostly in the same direction. They are primarily caused by a combination of factors; The product you are using is too abrasive, the pad (especially wool) is too abrasive, the polisher is operating at too high of a speed, or the paint is too soft. These are scratching the paint.

Now, orbital polishers, abrasives, and wool pads have their place to remove defects from fresh paint, but often when you see them out in public, the detailer or painter just didn't go the final step to remove them.

The good news? They are almost always removeable. Case in point:

MotV8's wife drives a black (of course) Chrysler 300 SRT8 and she got rear ended. The body shop repaired the damage and did a pretty good job of matching the black metallic paint. They thought it was best to buff out the whole rear and sides and call it a day after painting. Well, guess what? HOLOGRAMS all over the rear and sides of the car!

Dean brought it to me and this is what we saw:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The hood was original five year old paint

Posted Image

Posted Image

The sun was setting as I finished but here is the final product. I ended up being able to use Meguire's 205 with a medium cutting pad on most of the holograms. The stubborn stuff and the hood needed 105 first and a heavy cutting pad. I think the results speak for themselves:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Der Yoder does nice work...:thumbs The extreme blue car you posted probably had something in the pad, gummed up product would be my guess. I saw a black tahoe the other day that looked that bad...

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Der Yoder does nice work...:thumbs

The extreme blue car you posted probably had something in the pad, gummed up product would be my guess.

I saw a black tahoe the other day that looked that bad...

Lol, maybe not man...ive seen some REALLY bad technique that some people use. Case in point, this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4McvrEV_4cg

Look at the door panel at the beginning of the video, you can tell he already went over it once...then i love how he goes right over the trim as well....but hey, sure was nice of him to FINALLY take the keys out of the damn door towards the end. Good lord...he probably did the blue car Ted posted above as well.

And Ted, do you finish down with a rotary and 205 or do you go with a DA and 205?

Der Yoder does nice work...:thumbs

The extreme blue car you posted probably had something in the pad, gummed up product would be my guess.

I saw a black tahoe the other day that looked that bad...

Lol, maybe not man...ive seen some REALLY bad technique that some people use. Case in point, this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4McvrEV_4cg

Look at the door panel at the beginning of the video, you can tell he already went over it once...then i love how he goes right over the trim as well....but hey, sure was nice of him to FINALLY take the keys out of the damn door towards the end. Good lord...he probably did the blue car Ted posted above as well.

And Ted, do you finish down with a rotary and 205 or do you go with a DA and 205?

The vid...WTF!? :facepalm:

Damn, he's bad :lol I thought he was going to hit the keys :eek If you look at Ted's example there is a defined scuff on each rotation like one glob of compound.

I really like the DA Flex. It's so versatile and efficient once you get used to handling it and quite a bit safer IMO.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

I really like the DA Flex. It's so versatile and efficient once you get used to handling it and quite a bit safer IMO.

I feel ya there. Ive used mine on dozens of cars and even a few RV's/Boats and i love it. Still goin strong too. Ive found on some clears i have to use a rotary to really get the initial cut i want, but the Flex is great to follow up with to refine the paint down and really finish it off nicely.