NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Fuel system question. Please read

92ZR1Wannabe

92ZR1Wannabe

Anyway the injector O rings were leaking on the drivers side of the 92. I go to the parts store and buy enough injector kits to re oring all the injectors. Get them put together and hit the key wait a sec then turn it off. All the injectors were holding with no leaks. HOWEVER

On the drivers side fuel rail , where the pressurized fuel line and the return line hook up it was leaking like a SOB. Apparently the 2 orings on the fuel lines were bad. So back to the parts store i go. I explained what I was looking for and the guy just gave me that "Look" . So that was a no go. After looking around autozone I grabbed a 144 piece standard / metric o ring kit.

Got home threw them in and hit the key. No fuel leaks. Fired it up , ran it .... no fuel leaks.

Now the question:

These are cheapo orings ,, they looked exactly like the ones that I took out. However im not sure if the new ones are safe for fuel system service. The box did not say. Compare them and they are the same exact size , color , squishyness :) . So should i run these until I stop down at the chevy garage and order some OEM pieces? Or just let the car sit? (I kinda neet it atm if you missed my post in the general forum).

I would run them... it would take months to deteriorate the rubber... I would get OEM's ordered... cant be more than 10 bucks.

Guest LT4ME

Most good orings are color coded based on what they go on, but a lot of cheapees are black, so if yours are black, then it's hard to say if they're fuel system safe. Another way to test is to take one, drop it in an empty soda bottle, fill the bottle with fuel and close the cap. Let it sit, if it isn't fuel compatible, it'll start rotting.

92ZR1Wannabe
Most good orings are color coded based on what they go on, but a lot of cheapees are black, so if yours are black, then it's hard to say if they're fuel system safe. Another way to test is to take one, drop it in an empty soda bottle, fill the bottle with fuel and close the cap. Let it sit, if it isn't fuel compatible, it'll start rotting.

Ya they are all black in color. The ones i bought for the injectors are actually meant for the fuel system. It was the others in question. Im gonna head down to the GM dealer first thing tommorrow and get the others ordered.

I think ima run it as is until the new ones come in / i have a chance to install them. They only have to last until saturday morning :)

I would only buy o-rings marked for injectors / fuel systems.

Do you know how many kinds of rubber there are? Or which ones will/will not hold up in fuel / high temp. environments?

IMHO, 40+psi fuel systems is not the place to be trying to save money.

While the injectors were out, did you replace the screen filters?

All the fuel injectors I've seen have small mesh screens in the top of the injectors.

It is always good to replace these as either stuff gets in them or the screens eventually rupture allowing dirt to get into the injector.

Let me know if you need a hand with it.

92ZR1Wannabe

No screens in the tops of these.

However it only takes a 10mm socket, a T25 torx and about 2 min to remove both fuel rails and all the injectors on the LT1.

And it wasn't a matter of trying to save money, it was a matter of getting it on the road and keeping it there till saturday when Nancys van is finished. :)

The screens on mine (86ish) were INSIDE the top of the injectors.

There was a little brass ring(?) in the top of the injector. The mesh is attahced to it.

To get it out you just put a small screw in the ring and wiggle back and forth a little to get it out.

My screens were trashed.