Synthetic oil

Guest sclirada

Guest sclirada

Hi all, wondering if anyone has an opinion, or recommendation on the use of the new synthetic motor oils in a 1972 stock 350, with about 139,000 miles on it. It has never seen synthetic. I am currently using it in my 2 old cars from the 60's , seems ok, but I don't want to take any chances with a Vette. Appreciate any advice!!!! Sclirada :howdy:

It will not harm your motor at all, the only problem you might have is leaking. My 82 starts dripping all over the place when I use synth. oil so I can't use it.

The problem comes from old dried gaskets. But the internals will be just fine.

I have only used synthetic oil in engines that we used for racing. It's perfectly fine for daily drivers, but I think it's a bit overkill for older engines.

Yeah, in older motors it leaks, I can back up that comment first hand.

My recommendation is good ol' Valvoline 10-30 / 10-40. I have never had problems with any engine using Valvoline. Quaker State / Penzoil on the other hand ---- uck. I have torn down motors that have used that crap only to find wads and chunks of burnt up, used up oil stuck all over the insides of the engine. Like too much cholesterol for a heart, Q.S. / PZ seem to just clog up over time.

I have to agree with the above replies. I've always used Valvoline or Pennzoil but rarily have I had what I would consider a "high mileage" engine. I don't know that I'd go the added expense on an older motor. I have heard the leaking issues too. Probably just cause you more problems that it would solve.