NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Detail before clear bra on fresh paint?

Jon

I'm picking the vette up tomorrow after the body work from my mishap. Should I get it detailed before having the clear bra installed?

I would recommend letting the new paint cure fully before clear bra. I would not think it needs a detail. My two cents.

I think it's cured in a couple days. But asking the painter is a good idea. I would however put a couple coats of wax on under the clear bra. As above, ask the installer, but that's what I would do.

Well, I've been wrong before. Not that I'd admit to it....

Same here all wax was removed using dish soap to strip the wax off. I was told not to wash car for a week or better as the paint reaches full cure in 30 days. The paint needs to off gas SLAMMER :bang

Guest badbobs95

Same here all wax was removed using dish soap to strip the wax off. I was told not to wash car for a week or better as the paint reaches full cure in 30 days. The paint needs to off gas

SLAMMER :bang

I completely agree! But who cares? ALL paint needs cure time. Around 30 days. The only thing you can put on a new paint job is glaze and not too much of that. I'm sure the people that install your clear bra will remove any sealer and wax before applying.

I hope I sound like I know what I'm talking about. After all, I read it, I wrote it down and then I read it! Posted ImagePosted Image

When Shane did mine, he washed the nose down pretty good to get any contaminants off. Once the clear bra is on, you won't see the swirls if any. As everyone else has said, your paint is still pretty fresh and you might want it to cure a little bit before you slap a piece of vinyl over it.

Yup. They said 30 days. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't chip. I'll not use it to go into town. Just backroads to work. Gateway did an awesome job. Can't even tell anything happened.

Posted Image

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Yup. They said 30 days. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't chip. I'll not use it to go into town. Just backroads to work. Gateway did an awesome job. Can't even tell anything happened.

Posted Image

Very nice job it looks like from the photo. I agree, any swirls in the paint should be covered by the clear bra...and 30 days is the industry 'average' for letting paint cure...unless they bake it. Cool part about clear bras today is even if they get swirled you can polish most of em out (on the good clear bras)..older ones that didnt work to well. Just be sure to ask the clear bra installers to be careful when putting it on...they can sometiems be like mechanics and just lean and rub on other parts of the car and mar it up :-\

Do the paints used now need a cure time like the stuff from years back?

FWIW

I just got off the phone with Shane. He told me my new GS would come with the paint already cured but a fresh paint job from the body shop should be allowed to cure before the clear bra goes on.