NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Attack of the sand people

TheCMSH

Made the drive out to San Diego last weekend to help my brother with some remodeling. I made the decision to drive the Vette for the fuel mileage over the truck and I didn't have to take all that many tools for what we were doing. There was a pretty stout wind when I hit the dunes and a fair amount of sand drifting across the interstate. Fast forward to today, I finally had the time to wash the bug carnage and road grime off the car today and when I opened the hood.......holy crap! This is the pic which turned out the best but basically then entire engine bay looked something like this: I've never been tempted to power wash the engine bay but it may be unavoidable. I vacuumed and wiped down the best I could but it still needs a lot of attention to get rid of the grit.

maybe just a good air hose job would do the trick ..... Posted Image (shud at least spark some conversation)

been there once myself ..... tuff clean up ..... the biggest issue is between the radiator and condenser . .... has anyone developed the tube off the hose cleaner that fits between to two yet .... still want to work on that ....... Posted Image

maybe just a good air hose job would do the trick ..... Posted Image (shud at least spark some conversation)

been there once myself ..... tuff clean up ..... the biggest issue is between the radiator and condenser . .... has anyone developed the tube off the hose cleaner that fits between to two yet .... still want to work on that ....... Posted Image

Posted Image

:ack Too bad you had to work and couldn't make the detail day at Yoder's. Your Vette could have been a "demo" for engine bay detail!

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Made the drive out to San Diego last weekend to help my brother with some remodeling. I made the decision to drive the Vette for the fuel mileage over the truck and I didn't have to take all that many tools for what we were doing. There was a pretty stout wind when I hit the dunes and a fair amount of sand drifting across the interstate. Fast forward to today, I finally had the time to wash the bug carnage and road grime off the car today and when I opened the hood.......holy crap! This is the pic which turned out the best but basically then entire engine bay looked something like this:

I've never been tempted to power wash the engine bay but it may be unavoidable. I vacuumed and wiped down the best I could but it still needs a lot of attention to get rid of the grit.

Ive done quite a few engine details...never had one not start yet...well actually...i had two not start...one was my own car, but not cause water got where it shouldn't, but because i was reaching way down trying to get some grime off of something and accidentally pulled the starter wire off the starter solenoid, but i figured it out real fast and it took 30 seconds to fix...the other time was an ACE member, we were doing his Mini Cooper...but the battery in it was very faulty since he'd bought it and it croaked at the same time i was doing the detail on the engine...i went to start it up and got 'click'...my heart stopped lol...but then he told me the thing w/the battery, replaced it and all was good.

If you DO pressure wash it...just avoid your alternator and be careful around your air intake and fuse box. Vettes are built pretty well as far as the connections usually being nice and snug so you shouldn't have any problems. Maybe hit the bay with a little APC first, then use some brushes to help loosen up the dirt (paint brushes or detailing brushes, whichever you have)...then PW it and break out a leaf blower or compressed air and blow dry the majority of that bad boy...use a microfiber to get whats left...then if you're feeling real ambitious go on and dress your plastic and rubber hoses :). Meguiars HyperDressing is awesome for this. Its water based and you can pretty much use it very liberally to get all your plastic and hoses real good...let it set a few minutes...then blow dry again to help get the dressing into the tight areas....get another microfiber to wipe up the excess...then start er' up and let the heat from the engine dry the rest :thumbs