NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Trying out Nitto NT05 from Invo

Dark Engineering

Dark Engineering

Some initial impressions on new shoes - Ran the rear 345/30/19s Nitto Invos down to onion skins. Also have the Invos on the front, 295/35/18. While the Invos had good street manners, I felt they lacked a bit in the turns when really pushed. Initially I decided to go with Michelin PS2s, but settled on the NT05s for a number of reasons including reviews, cost, sizing, driving style, and technical. I have roughly 150 miles on the 335/30/19 NT05s so far and I'm happy. I've been light on the throttle in 1st, but heavy in 2nd and the NT05s maintain traction so much better. Through the turns, the NT05 grabs so much better than the Invo that I'm still learning new limits. I'm interested to see how the NT05 continues to perform as I get more miles on them. Some notes; Street only, spirited driving, only NT05 on the rear, fronts are Invo (too much tread left to swap now), 50 to 70F ambient temps and dry surface, subjective impressions.

post-1817-091872800 1330657155.jpg

I was surprised you didn't rave about how much better your steering got, but I see you are still on the Invo. I LOVE my NT05's. They start to get a bit hard and slippery in the rear around 16-18 months if you have them that long. Mine are due to be replaced and I will for sure be into another set. Ditch those fronts as soon as you can and start living the good life....

I've been please with the performance of the NT05's I put on my car at the end of last year. They have way better turn in than the Invo's and ride pretty smoothly. I still prefer the MPSC WAY more, but they cost easily 30-50% more depending on size and probably half the street life. I run 285/35/18 on front.....335/30/19 rear.....C6 Z06 :thumbs

I have never run the MPSC, but have been very happy with the NT05s. I run them on both of the hot rods.

I run NT01... better dry grip. :)

Not available in the larger C6 Z06 OEM sizes.

Best treaded dry grip handling tire for street use are MPSC's....hands down.

The new Michelin Super Sport is now available in C6 Z06 OEM sizes (and 345/30/19's later this month) and so far the reviews are backing up the manufacture claims of dry street performace approaching the vaunted MPSC...at a considerable savings :rockon2:

I haven't been disappointed with my NT05's. I've had them about 8k miles and about a year. The rears are still holding up beautifully too. On 80* days or so the car will even hook super well in 1st :D

Dark Engineering

I was surprised you didn't rave about how much better your steering got, but I see you are still on the Invo. I LOVE my NT05's. They start to get a bit hard and slippery in the rear around 16-18 months if you have them that long. Mine are due to be replaced and I will for sure be into another set.

Ditch those fronts as soon as you can and start living the good life....

After such an improvement on the rear, I would really like to! Maybe I find someone looking for a used pair of Invos....

Dark Engineering

I've been please with the performance of the NT05's I put on my car at the end of last year. They have way better turn in than the Invo's and ride pretty smoothly. I still prefer the MPSC WAY more, but they cost easily 30-50% more depending on size and probably half the street life.

I run 285/35/18 on front.....335/30/19 rear.....C6 Z06 :thumbs

Oh, MPSC for sure. Too bad you have to consider that darn cost and tread life.... ; )

• 1 month later...
Barbiegirl826

I recently ditched my run flats on the rear and went with the Yokohama S drives. They smoothed out the ride quite a bit especially with the rigid suspension I have.

The new Michelin Super Sport is now available in C6 Z06 OEM sizes (and 345/30/19's later this month) and so far the reviews are backing up the manufacture claims of dry street performace approaching the vaunted MPSC...at a considerable savings :rockon2:

I've just swapped to teh Michy Super's after being on their run-flat aka Pilot Sport ZP's...I changed sizes as well from 245-45/17 + 275-40/18 to teh 265-30/19 and 305-30/19 im teh Supers, and they are worlds apart.....I also considered teh NT05's, but couldn't nail down teh sizes I was looking for, or I may have gone that way, but I have no regrets. I have not pushed them very hard yet however...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not attempting to jack your thread DE, just adding to it... :ACE:

Dark Engineering

A little over 1k miles on the NT05s now. I'm still very pleased with the tires over the Invos. In terms of straight line traction, one of my biggest 'WOW' moments was during low 80 degree ambient temps (tires warmed). From a stop light, which I've run frequent 'tests', I quickly let out the clutch (not DROP the clutch) at roughly 2,500 rpm while rolling into the throttle. I had a balance of throttle and clutch release with the Invos to attempt to maximize bite and acceleration, and applied the same memory to the NT05s. Off the line, the car hooked and as I released the clutch the motor felt a little flat as I rolled into the throttle. Figuring that I had either let the clutch out too quickly or throttle in too light, I gave it another go. This time, same clutch release and more roll. The car hooked and continued through 1st with a more aggressive throttle roll in. With this approach, the Invos would have lost traction through most of 1st. For straight line traction, the NT05s perform better than the Invos. The Z06 is still capable of smoking the NT05s in 1st if you care to. 2nd gear the tires will spin with enough throttle before clutch engagement, but nowhere near how much the Invos did. Now for the corners. This is a tough one, as I truly take the corners hard. Why? Corners are like curves, sexy and navigating them too quickly can send you home. OK, being a bit more technical, corners are much more dynamic than straight line. And legally, I can take a corner at the previously posted speed which is on the straight. Example; The interstate to work has a posted speed of 65mph, while the off-ramp has a 'suggested' speed of 35 mph. Suggested means the sign is posted in yellow with black letters, as opposed to white with black letters which is law. Now, beyond all the legal banter, why is this a tough one? Because I don't pay attention to the DIC, the speedo or the tach while going through the corners. I watch the road, listen for tire limits and feel for movement. In light of this, I can't offer quantified results, only my impressions. And those impressions are that the car carries through and exits with more speed than equipped with the Invos. However, I feel the through cornering aren't drastic, only a few percent. Exiting, the NT05 dominates. A few more notes: -Powertrain is stock minus Halltech CAI intake (the rest of car is stock, performance wise) -NT05s only in the rear, fronts are still Invos -Ambient temps have been in the 80's and 90's deg F @ 2,400ft -Only driven on the street, no track impressions -I have read comments that the NT05s 'smell funny', 'smell like manure', 'smell like horse hair'. I will say the tires smell different than most rubber if really heated up, but not like shite. I like the smell of gasoline, burning rubber and hot NT05s. -Road noise - I don't notice an appreciable difference in noise between the Invos and the NT05s. -In the wet - Haven't hit rain yet, TBD -I run mostly in Competition Mode when pushing the car Hope this is helpful!

Dark Engineering

I recently ditched my run flats on the rear and went with the Yokohama S drives. They smoothed out the ride quite a bit especially with the rigid suspension I have.

I've heard that those are pretty good shoes!

Dark Engineering

I've just swapped to teh Michy Super's after being on their run-flat aka Pilot Sport ZP's...I changed sizes as well from 245-45/17 + 275-40/18 to teh 265-30/19 and 305-30/19 im teh Supers, and they are worlds apart.....I also considered teh NT05's, but couldn't nail down teh sizes I was looking for, or I may have gone that way, but I have no regrets. I have not pushed them very hard yet however...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not attempting to jack your thread DE, just adding to it... :ACE:

Shifter, not at all! More info, the better. Keep us updated on your impressions. Also, I don't see enough white 'vettes, good job!

Nice pic of teh FRC w/new shoes there Shifter, time to update teh sig pic! :rockon2: Good info in here, gotta plan ahead after these Invos get worn out. :burnout2

The Mich Super Sports are getting rave reviews from guys who track their cars on the street rubber. The NT05's are doing fine on my car, and I've done a drag race event and several track days on them....they performed really well considering they are more optimized for street use. But.....I miss that razor sharp turn in and handling response on the MPSC's. Plus, those tires have enormous grip when warmed up.....you'll need to move up to Hoosier A6/R6 slicks to out perform them. Guys that have driven MPSC's and the new SS are reporting the Super Sports have 80% of the handling capabilities of the MPSC....very promising. Now, to see how they report on wear. If money were no object I'd be on MPSC (or the new MPSC ZP) all the time.....an amazing fookin' tire.

I would like to try the new MPSC's, but I could almost buy two sets of tires for the price of one set of those. I need front tires something horrible right now, my PS2's are still up front (after 25-30k :clap )and they are really, really starting to make the car push. My rears are still good though and I think I'm at about 11k on them or so. When I had PS2's on the rear I was just so disappointed I swore I'd never try another PS tire again, but the cups may change my mind if the price goes down. Until then, NT05's it is. And for whoever asked about the comparing a NT05 to an NT555rII, the NT555rII is a drag radial, not really meant for street use although ti's legal for the street. They don't turn wel AT ALL either. They'll hook, but you'll be horrified with the turning. PS Victor, did you have any issues at all puttinga 285 up front? The prices are identical IIRC for 285's so I've been thinking about it.

PS Victor, did you have any issues at all puttinga 285 up front? The prices are identical IIRC for 285's so I've been thinking about it.

No problems, but keep in mind the 285/35/18's are 25.91" tall versus the 275/35/18's at 25.63" .....so over a 1/4" taller, which might be an issue for lowered cars.

I also have 285's on the front of my car, and they don't rub at all, ever. And, it's in the weeds. So they fit the front of C5's too...