NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

I love Holleys...

Dave64

This project has taught me much humility, most of which has been self-imposed. It seems as though almost every critical system or part has had to be addressed a couple times - even though I've taken my time, not rushed, been methodical and careful... Ever since the car started running (with the pos Edelbrock carb), the engine always sounded and acted lazy. I discovered the expensive Edelbrock fuel pump was putting-out 10~11psi, which was making it run real fat. It shouldn't have done so, as it was advertised to put-out only about 6psi. I finally read the instructions for the fuel pump, to see if it could be adjusted. I found that when I had re-oriented the inlet and outlet, I had failed to properly re-torq the lower body back on with the arm in the compressed position. Of course, correcting the incorrect procedure did absolutely nothing to correct the high psi. Long story short, I have now tossed the f*$king Edelbrock fuel pump and carb into the re-cycle bin, got an over-the-counter fuel pump and rebuilt a mechanical secondary, 600cfm Holley that had been hanging in the attic for years. With both installed, the car is now running like it's supposed to. I'm actually looking for reasons to get it out on the street now. Now, if I can get the f@#king oil pan to quit leaking... Dave

Wish I had known about the pump. I have a spare that I used before going to a 130gph pump. Also have a pressure regulator. But good to hear you have it situated and enjoy driving it again :3gears: Are you running a pcv setup or only breathers on the valve covers? A pcv does wonders for a leaky oil pan seal. Although you have to make certain adjustments when switching over to compensate. Just went through this with the elcamino.

Wish I had known about the pump. I have a spare that I used before going to a 130gph pump. Also have a pressure regulator. But good to hear you have it situated and enjoy driving it again :3gears:

Are you running a pcv setup or only breathers on the valve covers? A pcv does wonders for a leaky oil pan seal. Although you have to make certain adjustments when switching over to compensate. Just went through this with the elcamino.

Thanks for the help.

I have a regulator and even spent a couple hours thinking, looking, thinking, crying, etc., but it would cost about as much to put it on the system as it cost to go to the stock-type pump. I do have a pcv setup - and it even sucks like it's supposed to. It leaks at the rear pan seal, even though it's a one-piece unit.

Dave

Bromley's Corvettes

I also love Holley's they make more power its been proven on dynos and at the track many times. They also seem to run better in most cases and easy to rebuild and tune. I think a lot of guys dont like them because the first time a float sticks it pukes gas out the vent tubes and floods out the carb and messes up your plugs lol. Q-jets and Edlbrocks have floats stick too just not as often. If I can pick witch carb goes on a car my first choice is always a Holley. The stock high volume fuel pump that comes on vettes works real well you don't need a fancy after market pump or any regulator. If you get more then about 8 p.s.i to any carb they usually don't like it. 6 to 7 is usually best. If you have not already changed plugs you should at least look at them. The old carb may have messed them up. New NGKs and a Holley at same time you will really feel a differencePosted Image.

Dave, Do you have a Oil Filter adaptor? If you do then check you gaskets wear the adaptor mounts to the block. I had leaks while they were painting my car. When I finally got it back, I thought I had a rear main seal that was leaking, it turn out to be the two gaskets under the oil filter adaptor. We had to make new ones, but now the car does not have a leak in it. Are you coming up to Yoder's detail day on Mar 10? I plan to bring the 66 out in the morning and it would be nice for us C2 owner to show up in force.

Dave, Do you have a Oil Filter adaptor? If you do then check you gaskets wear the adaptor mounts to the block. I had leaks while they were painting my car. When I finally got it back, I thought I had a rear main seal that was leaking, it turn out to be the two gaskets under the oil filter adaptor. We had to make new ones, but now the car does not have a leak in it.

Are you coming up to Yoder's detail day on Mar 10? I plan to bring the 66 out in the morning and it would be nice for us C2 owner to show up in force.

Thanks, I checked those when I had the engine out for the throwout bearing change. I just might go to the detail day. Maybe the other mid-year owners will bring their's, too.

Dave

I also love Holley's they make more power its been proven on dynos and at the track many times. They also seem to run better in most cases and easy to rebuild and tune. I think a lot of guys dont like them because the first time a float sticks it pukes gas out the vent tubes and floods out the carb and messes up your plugs lol. Q-jets and Edlbrocks have floats stick too just not as often. If I can pick witch carb goes on a car my first choice is always a Holley. The stock high volume fuel pump that comes on vettes works real well you don't need a fancy after market pump or any regulator. If you get more then about 8 p.s.i to any carb they usually don't like it. 6 to 7 is usually best. If you have not already changed plugs you should at least look at them. The old carb may have messed them up. New NGKs and a Holley at same time you will really feel a differencePosted Image.

When I bought the Edelbrock street pump, it was the same cost as a stock, over-the-counter pump and it was rated at 6psi. I think I screwed it up when I didn't reassemble it correctly after re-orienting the inlet & outlets. She was very happy after I got the Holley on her. I didn't change the plugs, though I did change the oil.

Dave

Edelbrock recommends no more than 5.5# for their carb. I have seen just a fuzz over 6# pop the needles off the seats. Had to add a regulator.

Edelbrock recommends no more than 5.5# for their carb. I have seen just a fuzz over 6# pop the needles off the seats. Had to add a regulator.

I guess, I was actually kinda lucky that the thing ran at all with all the pressure the pump was squirting out. I didn't want to put a regulator on the engine, so went with the over-the-counter pump.

Dave

I'm running a stock replacement pump and a perfomer carb. Eventually I will dump this Edelbrock Performer carb and put a Holley on it. I've worked on Holleys for years and love them. Great bang for the buck. This performer was on the car when we got it and is almost new, so I'm going to give it a shot. So far, I don't care for it, but I'll see how well I can tune it for this motor and judge after that.

Isn't the Edelbrock based on the Carter AFB? I was always liked the Carter AFB on my '65 GTO. Always easy to adjust jetting. Could change metering rods and/or jets and springs without draining or even breaking a gasket seal. Mechanical secondaries were easily adjusted for amount and when they kicked in. My buddy with his 66 Chevelle SS always raved of Holley but even recognized Carter was easier to tune. He was always having issues with power valves and vacuum. The one area I thought the Holley excelled was throttle response but seeing how we were always messing with something, the adjustability of the Carter won me over. Now I'm cetainly no pro and certainly not an expert, the Carter made sense and was logical to me. Guess it's all about what you know.

I agree, one uses what is known. My dad was a PhD with Q-Jets. I couldn't do anything with them. My brother loves the Carter or Edelbrock. I think they hit too soft. Now, Holleys. I can do them in the dark, naked. I think they're easy to tune and do provide great throttle response, when properly set-up. My latest foray away from Holley has made me a believer who will not stray again... Dave

I have seen better fuel mileage out of edelbrock carbs and better performance from holleys. Even different types of holleys can make a difference. For example different style boosters. It can be a real nightmare if in a hurry, but can be alot of fun to just tinker with. And inevitably learning to tinker with the ignition becomes part of it. Currently have an 850 Demon. It has removable air bleeds that add a whole new area to mess with. There are some holley replacement metering blocks with emulsion bleeds and power valve channel restrictions. Best thing I ever did for carb tuning was get a wide-band O2 sensor and gauge. Can actually see the A/F in different stages such as driving down the road unlike reading plugs.

• 2 months later...
anmracing2

We rebuilt the holley some years ago and havent had issues since. They run awesome if you know what to do.

My link

kinda 'grew up' on Carter AVS and AFB carbs learnin to tune our old Road Runner (altho it was 'new' when we got it .. LOL) Then I got my first Holleys and realized you can tune everything on them ..unlike Carters. I still have my tuning tray fulla jets, diaphragm springs, fuel accelerator discharge rate ramps .. all the toys :) Once you got it right, never had to mess with it again except for the yearly gasket refresh. Was always a fan of puttin a metering block into the secondaries instead of that plate they came with .. helped tame rough idling cams and better fuel/air ratio's all thru the rpm range. -GE aka Frank

I recently took 2 strands of copper wire pulled from a length of 14-16gauge. Twisted them together. Put it under the power valve with each end into the channels. It woke up the acceleration noticibly without affecting the rest of the curvs. It is a trick that has been around for a long while, just hadn't tried it myself yet. Some aftermarket meter blocks come with provissions for changeable jets in that area, but I didn't want to spend the money. Alot of holley designs were ment to error in the area of too much fuel. Worst that can happen that way is bad mpg and sluggish. Also helps an engine run cooler.

I have an Edelbrock pump and Thunder 650 carb on my 350. Works great. I used to have a Performer 600 carb on my old 327 engine, called Edelbrock and they told me the best rods & springs. It immediately performed way better. I have found the Edelbrock to be easy to tune, even to the point where I watched the DVD it came with and found it helpful. I t is also easy to clean and change gaskets, adjust floats etc. My 2cents