NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

look what i just bought

supercharged88

supercharged88

well i was on the phone with vivid and taggart lumpy says its a direct fit.. so we shall see. also bought driveshaft loops.. now somone to tune her please

Wonder how hard it would be to switch to an LS1 computer to make tuning easier since they make kits now with the reluctor rings and everything?

supercharged88

i didnt even know ther was a kit to swap it over.. i was looking at getting a standalone but there god awful expensive.

So am I reading it right? It is $800 plus for the drive shaft and over $700 each for the half shafts? Im not sure what all is done to your car, but I can't imagine you are going to see any significant changes especially with an automatic car for the street. For that amount of money I would want to see something fairly substantial. :3gears:

supercharged88

ya i searched on this last night.. that kit is godawful expensive. ill have to give them a call later when i have somewhere even remotly close to that type of money

The coolest thing about a carbon fiber driveshaft is that if you do make enough power to break it, it shreds and turns into the biggest whisk broom you'll ever see. Driveshafts are so small in diameter, I am not sure that the MOI difference between the two is of any real benefit in any but the most extreme applications.

supercharged88

Didn't you just spend $1500 on a carbon drive shaft and axles on a car you can't drive without a tune?

most certainly did. but i can drive it just not legally

Personally I think there are tons of better ways to spend $1500 on your car and actually feel a difference. I can see if you are going from and old school steel shaft to a carbon one you MAY feel some difference...but no way you will feel any difference going from aluminum to the carbon...unless it is a full blown road race car where you need every advantage you can get over your competition. And when you sell your car and tell the next guy wow, I have a carbon fiber drive shaft he will say cool....but your car won't be worth a penny more than the next vette he looks at. This is just my 2 cents but its not my money... And is it $700 for EACH half shaft or do they come as a pair?

Return that stuff, look for Alum alternatives for the time being and buy the EFI Live Kit, thats money well spent then get NicD to tune it and you will not stop grinning from ear to ear. Thats money well spent!

supercharged88

roger i returned it this am. well actually just canceld my order.. still gotta save to get the efi kit though.. stuff is expensive

Return that stuff, look for Alum alternatives for the time being and buy the EFI Live Kit, thats money well spent then get NicD to tune it and you will not stop grinning from ear to ear. Thats money well spent!

The stock ones are already aluminum.

• 2 months later...

Didn't you just spend $1500 on a carbon drive shaft and axles on a car you can't drive without a tune?

most certainly did. but i can drive it just not legally

Guessing not legally because of emissions? If so, and you have a different daily driver, may wanna look into collector car insurance where you don't have emissions anymore.