NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

lowering C5

goofy02z06

When you Lower your C5 do you lower just the rear or do you do front also?

You can do whatever you want BUT, It would be wise to lower the front also so it doesnt look "goofy" it could mess with the way it handles to im sure.

Lowering the Front Make sure the car is in gear to prevent it from rolling. Raise the car with the jack positioned in the center of the front cross member. Place the two jack stands under the cross member, and slowly lower the car onto them. Remove the front wheels. It may be necessary to slightly loosen the lug nuts before the wheels are completely off the ground. Find the front leaf spring, and with a 10mm wrench or socket, turn the bolt as if you were loosening it (It is reverse threaded so you are actually tightening it). Turn the bolt until there is no longer a gap between the bushing and the bolt. Measure the exposed threads to insure the other side is done the same. NOTE: On a Z51 car, the car will not drop as much as one that has the standard suspension. You can completely remove the front lowering bolt if you would like to go even lower. A spreading tool or removal of the a-arm is required to allow removal of the adjusting bolt and bushings. Put the wheels back on and lower the car. NOTE: It may be necessary to place a board under the tires so you will be able to remove the floor jack once the car is lowered.

To lower the front, there is an adjustment "bolt" at teh end of the spring. There is a rubber and plastic "bushing" at the end of the spring that contacts the lower control arm. Using a jack or a jack stand, separate that pad from the lower control arm and turn it so that it adjusts upward to the spring. If you turn it all the way, it will lower the front about .75". If you want it lower still, you have to cut the bushing off.

Its also recommended to have the alignment checked upon completion >>>>>>

Not 100% necessary. I did mine years ago...no issues, no uneven tire wear.

The rear... There is a long bolt at the end of the spring that goes through the lower control arm. You will see a retention clip on the top of the bolt. Loosen the bolt (with the rear off the ground to take the tension off the spring)until the nut gets to the retention clip. Done. You don't even have to take the tire off.

there will be settling. mine wasnt fully settled til around 50 miles or so. for the rear, shoudl leave two visable threads. for the front, go to max, and then back up a 1/4 turn to ensure it doesnt lock up. stock bolts dont go as far as most want asthetically but it helps. going farther than this with aftermarket bolts just starts messing with its performance, I know this first hand. is your car z51 equipped? z51 cars dont drop as far fyi.

• 2 months later...
corvettech

by changing the ride height in the front and rear you can shift the weight distribution slightly to help give with oversteer/understeer. thats where it starts getting fun, add some nice healthy negative camber a pinch of toe in and BAM! one sweet trackday ride. :banannarainbow:

Add a supercharger! Instantly lowers front end leaving you to only have 2 rear bolts to adjust :3gears:

Azmotorhead

Yes. AzVet Though to get a bit more drop Aftermarket lowering bolts are necessary. I have a set New in the box for sale......

just recently did this on mine. lowered rear approx 1 inch and front maybe .25 inches... handling has been very difficult to dial in for speeds over 120 mph. and the car will def dart around on the road after doing this. Still love the way it looks tho! :)