NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Rehabilitating my hood liner

Ted Y

I got the opportunity to spend some time in the garage today so I decided to tackle a job that needed to be done on my Vette. It's pretty clean, except every time I opened the hood, my clean engine bay was spoiled by an ugly, stained, dirty hood liner. These things are ridiculously expensive so I had an idea to clean and paint it, since there is very little wrong with it.

Here is the original hood liner:

ChadC and I took it off my hood liner. It was surprisingly easy. The plastic tabs have a small Christmas tree under them that easily pry off.

Posted Image

UGLY stains and dirt!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hood with no hood liner. I took this opportunity to clean the underside of the hood.

Posted Image

The first thing I did with the hood liner was to take a soft brush with one inch nylon fibers. These hood liners are delicate and I didn't want to mar the surface. I brushed it dry and got a lot of dust and dirt off but it was still discolored and stained. I then took the hose and rinsed the front and back of the hood liner. I saw dirt running off. I did not want to apply soap or cleaner with the fear of it leaving residue.

The hood liner was really heavy when wet. I held it vertically until a lot of the water drained out of it. Then it was damp but light enough to hang by a hangar.

Posted Image

I let it hang for about an hour, but with the cool temps, it really wasn't drying very fast. I then remembered I had a space heater so I put the space heater and pointed it at the liner while it hung. After about an hour, there was a big dry spot where the warm air was. After about 4 hours, it was completely dry. The stains were reduced, but the liner looked faded. It felt clean to the touch.

In order for it to be black and fresh looking, I took some black interior trim paint and in a well ventilated area, away from cars and houses, I gave it one light coat. A few places got a little more, but it totally transformed. The material totally soaked up the spray paint and it dried within minutes. I also took a little bit of trim dressing and cleaned the plastic tabs. With a little bit of help, I reattached the cleaned and painted hood liner. Now, the hood liner looks like it should and doesn't distract you from the engine, which is really the star of the show.

Total time, 6 hours. Total cost: ~$5.00 or so.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok it's clean it looks good..................But fail because there was no finger pointing! Posted Image

See Jim's sig pic for my pointing. :) Thanks!

Nice Ted, every once in a while I vacume mine useing a brush attachment, it helps keep the dirt off it.

Ok it's clean it looks good..................But fail because there was no finger pointing! Posted Image

See Jim's sig pic for my pointing. :) Thanks!

*snicker*

Guest badbobs95

I was just thinking that Ted is the "Mr. Clean" of ACE. All he needs to do is shave his head and add an earring. . . :smilelol

Hey! Watch it with the shaved head jokes!! Posted ImagePosted Image That's me, fat boy with the shaved head.

Post back again in a month with another pic of the stained areas. I'm just curious if it bleads back through or the paint soaks in too much, or if it stains any faster now. I've heard good and bad things, but from what I see, it looks worth the while! Nice write up, Ted!

Looks awesome! MIne is beyond the love of 4 hours and a can of spray paint, so I will have to break down and buy one new. Great write up though! ps....You didn't mention: How did you clean the underside of your hood?

Truthfully, I used a damp towel to clean the underside of the hood. It's nothing that can get polished as there is no clear coat there.

Note to self....clean my hoodliner.

Thanks Ted.

Yeah ditto....

Nice write up Teddy.

I was just thinking that Ted is the "Mr. Clean" of ACE. All he needs to do is shave his head and add an earring. . . :smilelol

Hey! Watch it with the shaved head jokes!! Posted ImagePosted Image That's me, fat boy with the shaved head.

Ditto for me too! Maybe next time, try using your leaf blower to speed up the drying time.I would think you could also use your leaf blower to maybe pre-treat the liner before or maybe after brushing to help remove dirt. Just a thought.

Very nice. Looks much better. I always thought that drenching it with water like that would ruin it beyond repair. But now I know different. It's a shame GM didn't paint under the liner. The first time I took mine off I was disgusted with it and had Classic paint it.

Looking good, I have a HEADliner to do...think it needs to be replaced. (it's not in the Vette)

So... you guys who saw it today in person at the ACE lunch. What did you think?

I failed......

I actually pulled up, parked, and thought to myself, "Hey, Ted has the hood up, I need to go look at his hoodliner"

....then I got out of my car and ACE happened :facepalm: