NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

:( paint fail while tinting lights

alludc

Because they are a PITA to get out, I chose to tint my front markers while they were on the car. I masked well, I thought. Used frog tape and paper. stuffed paper under thethe lights to be sure I didnt catch an edge. but what I didnt do is tape underneath them as I should have. while the tape and paper kept me from having any overspray, I didnt forsee the paper getting too much paint on it and bleeding thru. It did, a little. now, under one of the markers it looks like a greasy mechanic laid his paws on the bumper. its not a big spot, and its not black (think cherry red), but its an obvious stain that I couldnt get up. Anyone have any magical solutions? My idea for a fix is to get that area painted or vinyl'd as thats something I wanted to do anyway...but id like to fix whats broke first.

I would be careful with laquer thinner. I think i would try light rubbing compound. I've used it to remove over spray before. Just my 2cents.

yeah, post a pic... if you try laquer thinner, don't let it sit on there very long. put a little on a rag (just moist) lay it on the overspray, wipe away from light. turn rag to a clean side and repeat. if the rag starts to look like the color you trying to remove, get another rag, dont reapply what you've just removed. if you let it sit on your factory paint to long it will soften the clear coat... or rubbing compound, don't rub the clear coat to much, then polish the rubbing marks out. or wetsand, polish. but you should probably let someone who knows how to sand do it for you, too bad I'm so far away!

just to reiterate, its not overspray otherwise id likely be able to do it myself. its more of a stain. I tried a graffiti remover which is probably a watered down version of laquer thinner. it does work on overspray nicely, and did take the paint off the front markers ( I didnt like the way it came out anyway), but it didnt do a dang thing to the bumper stain :( will attempt the rubbing compund later, but not having lots of hope for that

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Depending upon how much area you have to 'maneuver', you could possibly use a clay bar to remove it. I've done this before and it works well, it just takes extra time and elbow grease, but is for sure the safest way to remove overspray or paint transfer. If you have any questions about it just PM me and i'd be glad to help.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Heres a picture of one i did, probably not as thick as what you have, but the painters who did this lady's house painted her garage with the car still in the garage. The paint went through the cracks in the garage door and nailed the whole back of her car. If you look here you can see small brown specs all over Posted Image

It took me quite a bit of time but i was able to remove it with a clay bar. Some technique is needed but like i said, its the safest way to try first. No sanding or thinner needed...just gotta have enough room to move 'back and fourth' with the clay bar so that is slowly and gradually will remove the overspray. Thinner, buffing or sanding should be last resorts.

Same car had a big 'squiggle' type mark here on the quarter panel:

Posted Image

It was paint transfer from someone hitting it with something (object unknown lol) but the point is washing wouldn't remove it and if you go straight to try to buff it off you end up transferring the bad paint onto your pad and then it can get drug across the rest of the paint, thus swirling the hell out of it.

Here it is after claying:

Posted Image

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

small area, but clay didnt work at all.

Did you try an aggressive clay? Or just standard over the counter stuff?

willis, std clay...but I see you keep going back to overspray in your comments. its a night & day diff between what I have, and overspray. I can handle overspray all day with clay. ill snap a pic @ lunch. there is no texture change where the stain is. its as smooth as anything else on the car. its like it seeped under the clear, its very weird.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

willis, std clay...but I see you keep going back to overspray in your comments. its a night & day diff between what I have, and overspray. I can handle overspray all day with clay. ill snap a pic @ lunch.

there is no texture change where the stain is. its as smooth as anything else on the car. its like it seeped under the clear, its very weird.

Wow that is weird. Sorry i misunderstood as i thought it was something more along the lines of paint transfer. Sure hope you don't have to go to any thinner. There was a company i ran across a while back, i can't remember their name, but they made up chemicals to remove specific things...you just have to give them the brand etc of whatever you're trying to remove, and the could mix up a batch of something to safely remove whatever it is you're working with. I just can't remember the name of the damn place...i'll do a little searching to see if i can find it. I'll keep an eye out for the pic :)

Guest badbobs95

Todd, I believe that stuff soaked into the paint finish and there is nothing that will change that except paint. If that's the case, you can get the exact paint at Space Age in Tempe and I can do it for you if necessary. I sanded and painted the whole front bumper on Blacky. Then did 4 coats of clear and it came out great. The key is to buy the best paint because it comes out of the can smooth. You need to buy the base coat and clear coat. I have the 2000 and 2500 grit sandpaper. PM me if you need help. Posted Image

its not this bad, I adjusted the contrast so you could see it better.

Posted Image

and dont mind the horrible line drawn around it in ms paint lol. and I now have tinted covers coming for the corners.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

its not this bad, I adjusted the contrast so you could see it better.

Posted Image

and dont mind the horrible line drawn around it in ms paint lol. and I now have tinted covers coming for the corners.

lol your line drawing looks like something i'd do :)

So you can't actually feel the texture at all? Am i seeing it wrong or did a little get up on the light as well (or is that covered?)

The shitty part is its on an edge...which means the paint is thinner than most places on the car. So you'd have to be super careful doing any sanding as you don't wanna go through your clear coat.

I read an article a while back about a guy who had an old classic and it got NAILED with overspray...i'm using the term 'over spray' but really it was more so like a whole paint job that covered the poor car. I forget how this happened, but you couldn't really even seen the real color of the car cause the other paint was on it so thick.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the guy that was hired to remove it used 8000 and 12,000 grit paper (i had never even HEARD of that before...) to remove the paint. Obviously this was very time consuming, but i was thinking since you have a sort of 'layer' of paint and so did the car in the article i read, it may be an option? That sucks that clay wouldn't do anything.

Willis. the paint "was" on the corners as well, but it was so crappy that I took it off with the said remover earlier in this thread. I just havent finished it yet so the corner light looks a lil messy at the moment, but I am not concerned with that. the 'stain' definitly feels no different. when you run your finger from red to maroon you cant even tell its there. thats why I feel it seeped in. nothing I had tried last night made it budge. im going to carefully test some rubbing compound followed by some wet 2500grit on it tonite and see what happens. in person, its not horrible...but the rest of my car is just absolutely cherry that it really bugs the crap outta me.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels

Willis. the paint "was" on the corners as well, but it was so crappy that I took it off with the said remover earlier in this thread. I just havent finished it yet so the corner light looks a lil messy at the moment, but I am not concerned with that.

the 'stain' definitly feels no different. when you run your finger from red to maroon you cant even tell its there. thats why I feel it seeped in. nothing I had tried last night made it budge. im going to carefully test some rubbing compound followed by some wet 2500grit on it tonite and see what happens. in person, its not horrible...but the rest of my car is just absolutely cherry that it really bugs the crap outta me.

I totally understand man. It would bug the crap outta me too. What kind of paint were you using exactly? Thats so weird you can't feel it..i really cant imagine how it would seep UNDER the clear. I put my feelers out to find the name of that company that makes specific chemicals to remove things like this..i'll let you know what i find out. We'll figure it out one way or another.

I'm going to go ahead and say it, it seeped under the clearcoat, on the bumper with all the flex agent in the clear to keep it from cracking, and being right along the edge of the unpainted surface, i have a feeling you can catch the clearcoat with your fingernail and lift it up from the backside against the light. If I'm right, the only fix will be to sand it off and reclear, like was posted above you can do it with a spray can with fantastic results but you have to buy quality paint, rustoleum isn't going to cut it.. :lol Years ago the kids F150 steside was rearended, (they have fiberglass sides) new bumper, some fiberglass cloth and resin, base coat / clear coat in spray cans (vin matched) and my repair on both rear bottom corners are still undetecible today...

I'm going to go ahead and say it, it seeped under the clearcoat, on the bumper with all the flex agent in the clear to keep it from cracking, and being right along the edge of the unpainted surface, i have a feeling you can catch the clearcoat with your fingernail and lift it up from the backside against the light.

If I'm right, the only fix will be to sand it off and reclear, like was posted above you can do it with a spray can with fantastic results but you have to buy quality paint, rustoleum isn't going to cut it.. :lol

Years ago the kids F150 steside was rearended, (they have fiberglass sides) new bumper, some fiberglass cloth and resin, base coat / clear coat in spray cans (vin matched) and my repair on both rear bottom corners are still undetecible today...

thats what I thought, and dreaded hearing from another. Guess it could be an invitation to get a tigershark bumper tho. or...go ahead and test my luck with sanding.

Guest badbobs95

I'm going to go ahead and say it, it seeped under the clearcoat, on the bumper with all the flex agent in the clear to keep it from cracking, and being right along the edge of the unpainted surface, i have a feeling you can catch the clearcoat with your fingernail and lift it up from the backside against the light.

If I'm right, the only fix will be to sand it off and reclear, like was posted above you can do it with a spray can with fantastic results but you have to buy quality paint, rustoleum isn't going to cut it.. :lol

Years ago the kids F150 steside was rearended, (they have fiberglass sides) new bumper, some fiberglass cloth and resin, base coat / clear coat in spray cans (vin matched) and my repair on both rear bottom corners are still undetecible today...

thats what I thought, and dreaded hearing from another. Guess it could be an invitation to get a tigershark bumper tho. or...go ahead and test my luck with sanding.

There was a guy with a white C5 at Riverview Saturday night that has the tigershark front and it was gorgeous. He actually has a front grill and a Blackhawk cold air and it looked great. I wanted to steal it when he went to get something to eat but I didn't have the right tools with me. Posted ImagePosted Image

I know this may sound like an after-thought, but why didn't you just buy the cooler looking turn signal black out kit? The one I got is not as dark and it allows the lights to be easily seen through the tint Installation was as simple as jacking up the front, removing two or three screws holding in the lamp and allowing plenty of room to seat the tinted covers. The hardest part was actually jacking the car up.