NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

New owner, new forum member....

Bigfoot

Hi all...as the header says...I'm new. :D

Couple things I need help with. I'm having an active handling problem.

When I take off it says "active handling warming up"...after 10 mins or so it says "service active handling" and C1283...excessive time to center steering. I changed my wobbling harmonic balancer with a Power Bond 25% underdrive one and ever since then it's done this. Any ideas would be helpful.

I know all the components that can cause the problem but don't have any way of checking these parts.

Does anyone know a good mechanic that can diagnose active handling and not feed me a line of bull? I took it to Gateway Chevy in Avondale, but I'm not convinced it is corrosion in the harness/connectors. :mad There is some corrosion in the harness under the battery but I cannot find anywhere it has gone through the insulation and all the connectors are clean and corrosion free.

I'm going to shoot all the wires for continuity, but I think it's all going to check good.

Thanks. :flag

I can't help you specifically but I do know the C5's are incredibly ground sensitive. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

Mine is doing the same thing....AZ Power and sound has it....it could be a ground wire or other give them a call

Mike @ AZ 480-966-1168

Guest chad@xtreme

I would think that you might not have gotten the the steering rack back in the same place as it was when you took it out to change the underdrive pulley. We had a car doing this. We found that the alignment was out. Once aligned the problems went away.

Chad

Thought of that and had alingment done. It was a bit off, but did not fix my problem.

I did get the system pin checked and I have good continuity through the harness. Now I just need to find out if it's my SWPS, EBTCM, Lateral Accelerometer or Yay rate sensor. Which is what I wanted Gateway to do in the first place. :mad

Any good...trustworthy Corvette mechanics in the area, for diagnostic work that is?

Or do you know anyone with a Tech II scanner?

SHE'S FIXED!!!!!!

After mulling things over I decided to listen to some advice and turned my steering wheel 360 degrees to the right. I did this based on some work that I did and the "potential possibility" that when I had the steering coupler disconntected the steering wheel moved.

I am still pissed at Gateway Chevy for not doing the scan diagnostic that would have pointed this out right away. But at least she's fixed.

Sure you're glad it's fixed but aren't dealer just F'n wonderful?

You'd think if all else failed you could trust them to know what they're doing NOT! :rolleyes

SHE'S FIXED!!!!!!

After mulling things over I decided to listen to some advice and turned my steering wheel 360 degrees to the right. I did this based on some work that I did and the "potential possibility" that when I had the steering coupler disconntected the steering wheel moved.

I am still pissed at Gateway Chevy for not doing the scan diagnostic that would have pointed this out right away. But at least she's fixed.

pardon my ignorance (and we all know i got a LOT of it!)

but what does turning the steering wheel 360 degrees do?

did you actually REMOVE the steering wheel to turn it?

i'm not sure i understand AT ALL!!!! :leaving

What I had done was change the harmonic balancer (it was wobbling :bang ). In order to do that I had to remove my steering gear (right in front of balancer :ack ). While disconnecting the tie rod end on the left side I turned the wheels to the outside. I can only assume that I left the wheels pointing left and that is the point I disoconnected the steering wheel from the steering gear.

I then went to the right side of the car and did the other tie rod end, at which point I moved the "wheels" back to the right, but leaving the steering wheel "thinking" it was still pointing left. Therefore when I reconnected the wheel to the gear the wheels were straight, but the steering wheel had still been rotated 360 degrees to the left...therefore the Steering Wheel Position Sensor was 360 off and never sent a "centered" message to the Electronic Brake, Traction Control System Module.

With no center message being sent it went into "warm up" and then after 10 mins or so it coded C1283..."excessive time to center steering" with a "service active handling" message in the DIC.

That all said I finally figured this out (no help from Gateway Chevy had they just hooked up the scanner and checked it would have told them this :hunter ), rotated the steering wheel 360 to the right, centering the SWPS, making everything all good again. :party

Only took me 2 weeks to pull my head out :banghead , and listen to what some others had suggested and try it. And Lord have mercy it worked!!!!! :drinkers

Hope that explains my dillema/own stupidity. :devil

Still mad as hell at Gateway though. :crazy