NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Emissions test question

MasterDave

Going to change plates from Wa. to AZ. this month. Another forum said to have your "readiness codes" set. Never heard of this. I have an '07 Z06, bone stock with under 5,000 miles. So do I need to do anything or just drive it to a testing station?

Drive it to the testing station. Try to make sure the car is fully warmed up and a little freeway/street driving will help all of the readiness monitors set.

Drive it to the testing station. Try to make sure the car is fully warmed up and a little freeway/street driving will help all of the readiness monitors set.

Being an 07 they should just plug into the OBD port. You may have to have the VIN verified as well being an out of state title/plated car.

Being an 07 they should just plug into the OBD port. You may have to have the VIN verified as well being an out of state title/plated car.

If he has to be emissions tested, simply plugging into the OBD port will not get it done. The car will need to be at operating temp and driven at freeway speeds for all of the readiness monitors to set. If too many monitors are pending instead of being set, he will fail.

Going to change plates from Wa. to AZ. this month. Another forum said to have your "readiness codes" set. Never heard of this. I have an '07 Z06, bone stock with under 5,000 miles. So do I need to do anything or just drive it to a testing station?

Driving it more than 1000 miles a year won't hurt it and might even keep the seals from leaking. So join in some of the cruises, lunches, and other activities to keep your car in good shape for the bi-annual testing.

after my 8 trips to the emissions lol I remember seeing a sign that said 2007 and newer don't require an emission test. I would contact an emission station to confirm, otherwise its 27.75 waisted.

Silly question I'm sure, but what are/is "readiness monitors"? :facepalm:

Not silly at all. Basically the OBDII system runs tests on itself to ensure that the emissions system on the vehicle is operating as designed. When the government mandated OBDII, it had to be able to self test the vehicle's emissions system. These self tests are called monitors and include ensuring the evaporative emissions controls, catalytic converters, and additional pollution control devices are doing their job. Readiness monitors keep an eye on the vehicles current operating condition to see if an OBDII test can be performed.

To run these tests, the engine has to be under very exact operating conditions. Like idling for 15 seconds, followed by driving at varying speeds but never exceeding 40 MPH until operating temperature is achieved, then accelerating to 60 MPH, and having a closed throttle decel to 40 MPH, followed by two starts and stops going to at least 30 miles per hour. Do we do that every time we drive the car? Nope. So basically that is fine, the test didn't run, as far as an emissions station is concerned, that is OK. For detailed automotive diagnostics, not so fine, but that is not what we are discussing here.

Even though the test did not run, putting the vehicle through part of the parameters it needs to see to run the test is enough to get it ready. This is what emissions stations look for, if the monitor ran or is ready to run, you are a pass. If a monitor is pending, or failed, you fail (or if you have trouble codes, of course).

Some of you may remember recently in a tech thread when one of Oli's friends did not pass, it was because the tuner had turned the monitoring system off for the rear oxygen sensors, not allowing the catalytic converter test to run. No check engine light, but did he fail emissions? Yes, because the emissions station was able to determine that the readiness monitor was either missing, or not OK.

Most of us will meet the requirements necessary to get the OBDII testing system ready just through the drive to the emissions station. But not all, so take a few minutes, make sure the car is warm and do a little driving under surface street and freeway conditions.

Mr. Two Snails, In the case of the rear O2 sensors, when they are removed due to header installation and cat delete, how does a tuner successfully navigate this readiness test manipulation ?

Mr. Two Snails,

In the case of the rear O2 sensors, when they are removed due to header installation and cat delete, how does a tuner successfully navigate this readiness test manipulation ?

Good question, I'll PM you :)

Just got done taking the 01 Jeep and 06 Tahoe through emissions. Plugged them both into the computer, ran the engine just a little, checked the gas cap and out the door in less than 10 minutes. If you are stock, you will have no issues. :thumbs

Mr. Two Snails,

In the case of the rear O2 sensors, when they are removed due to header installation and cat delete, how does a tuner successfully navigate this readiness test manipulation ?

Hey come on! No PM's of info. This stuff is exactly why this tech section was created, so the info could be shared with all, instead of a select few.

Mr. Two Snails,

Hey come on! No PM's of info. This stuff is exactly why this tech section was created, so the info could be shared with all, instead of a select few.

He had a VERY valid reason for the PM :yesnod

Under normal circumstances you are absolutely correct. This particular example is the exception to the rule.

If I don't share information publicly, there is a good reason for it.

There are a few different ways to configure the rear O2's. Tuners that know what they are doing can do it correctly and still have the emissions readiness pass. Tuners that don't now, can't do it right. NicD and Two Snails are in the know. I could look in my NicD tune and post it, but out of professional courtesy, I will not.

Guest Sidewinder

Mr. Two Snails,

Duct tape. :rockon2:

Went to the DMV yesterday with the title. They said I had to get emission checked, no biggie. Then I asked what it was gonna cost. :rant Are You Kidding Me!!??? $487.00 for a tab!? I'm just going to keep my apartment in Wa. state and rent it out while I'm not there (I do contract work up there a lot during the year) and keep my $80 tabs. Holy crap that's highway robbery! :rant

Silly question I'm sure, but what are/is "readiness monitors"? :facepalm:

Not silly at all. Basically the OBDII system runs tests on itself to ensure that the emissions system on the vehicle is operating as designed. When the government mandated OBDII, it had to be able to self test the vehicle's emissions system. These self tests are called monitors and include ensuring the evaporative emissions controls, catalytic converters, and additional pollution control devices are doing their job. Readiness monitors keep an eye on the vehicles current operating condition to see if an OBDII test can be performed.

To run these tests, the engine has to be under very exact operating conditions. Like idling for 15 seconds, followed by driving at varying speeds but never exceeding 40 MPH until operating temperature is achieved, then accelerating to 60 MPH, and having a closed throttle decel to 40 MPH, followed by two starts and stops going to at least 30 miles per hour. Do we do that every time we drive the car? Nope. So basically that is fine, the test didn't run, as far as an emissions station is concerned, that is OK. For detailed automotive diagnostics, not so fine, but that is not what we are discussing here.

Even though the test did not run, putting the vehicle through part of the parameters it needs to see to run the test is enough to get it ready. This is what emissions stations look for, if the monitor ran or is ready to run, you are a pass. If a monitor is pending, or failed, you fail (or if you have trouble codes, of course).

Some of you may remember recently in a tech thread when one of Oli's friends did not pass, it was because the tuner had turned the monitoring system off for the rear oxygen sensors, not allowing the catalytic converter test to run. No check engine light, but did he fail emissions? Yes, because the emissions station was able to determine that the readiness monitor was either missing, or not OK.

Most of us will meet the requirements necessary to get the OBDII testing system ready just through the drive to the emissions station. But not all, so take a few minutes, make sure the car is warm and do a little driving under surface street and freeway conditions.

Thanks for the detailed answer. :thumbs

Guest Sidewinder

Went to the DMV yesterday with the title. They said I had to get emission checked, no biggie. Then I asked what it was gonna cost. :rant Are You Kidding Me!!??? $487.00 for a tab!? I'm just going to keep my apartment in Wa. state and rent it out while I'm not there (I do contract work up there a lot during the year) and keep my $80 tabs. Holy crap that's highway robbery! :rant

Yes, yes it is.

What are the property taxes like in WA? I'll bet money they're higher than AZ. The state needs X amount of money to operate. There are just different ways to get into your pocket.