• MOTV8

• Shifty

• Desertdawg

• Two Fangs

Top Posters In This Topic

Holding back huh, I see how it is.

ALMS Sebring Wednesday Winter Test Notebook

Posted Image

Level 5 Motorsports rolled out its new Honda Performance Development prototypes in fine style Wednesday with the fastest time on the opening day of the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón Sebring Winter Test. Luis Diaz set the fastest lap in the afternoon session - a 1:53.044 (1:117.830 mph) effort in Level 5’s HPD ARX-03b.

Diaz’s time was nearly 0.8 seconds quicker than the pole time in last year’s P2 pole time for the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida. The 2009 P2 race-winner was a full second quicker than Pecom Racing’s ORECA-Nissan of Pierre Kaffer, Soheil Ayari and Luis Perez Companc.

"With the new cars and everyone knowing each other better, I think it’s going to be a strong year for us," said Diaz, who is splitting time with Christophe Bouchut and Scott Tucker. "The car is very similar to last year’s car. I would say that the biggest thing today was learning the Dunlop tires. So far, they are very good tires and good people to work with. It was nice to be in P1 at the end of the day with the new car and new tires. There is a long way to go to the race, but I think we started on the right foot."

Sebring Through the Years: The 60th anniversary of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida gives us a chance to look at America’s greatest sports car race through the years. We start today with the 1950s.

It was largely a decade of battles between Jaguar, Ferrari and Maserati. But the first three years were won by Frazer Nash, Cunningham (in the first FIA World Sports Car Championship event) and OSCA (driven by Sir Stirling Moss).

Corvette’s Youth Movement: Jordan Taylor and Tommy Milner are Corvette Racing’s newest - and youngest - members. Milner is in his second year with GM’s factory road racing team, and Taylor is readying for his rookie season. They already have the respect of their more experienced teammates.

"It takes me back to 2002 when I first came to Corvette Racing," said Oliver Gavin, Milner’s full-season teammate in the No. 4 Corvette C6.R. "I was very green in sports car racing and was paired with a couple of legends in Ron (Fellows) and Johnny (O’Connell). They taught me a lot and looking back, it’s amazing the amount I learned. Both Tommy and Jordan are mature beyond their years and aren’t fazed by the pressure of driving for Corvette. This is a large manufacturer - in fact it is THE American manufacturer. There are millions of kids their age who would do anything for the chance to drive for a team like Corvette Racing. But they aren’t fazed by the pressure."

Patrick’s Porsche: Porsche factory ace Patrick Long candidly admits that he’s never been crazy about testing at Sebring. It’s amazing what a series of updates to the venerable Porsche 911 GT3 RSR can do to change one’s perspective.

"Usually at Sebring, you’re fighting bump compliance or the car’s platform," the 2005 GT2 Sebring class co-winner said. "But these updates are great. I spent six hours in the car today and enjoyed as much as I ever have. We had struggled in previous years with other updates and at first I was skeptical about how the latest ones would turn out. It would be easy for Porsche to shoot for par but they’ve put so much effort into this."

Most noticeable is a 48-millimeter increase in width to provide better traction and stability in cornering. There also are air intakes on the rear body panels that replace the air scoop on the engine hood.

"We’ve seen the very best GT racing in the world in the ALMS," said Jens Walther, president of Porsche Motorsport North America. "Our engineers have worked over the last year to create the new 997 with a wider track and aero work. We’re very excited to have the cars here."

BMW’s Outlook: Joey Hand claims there is no change in mindset at BMW Motorsport and BMW Team RLL for the 2012 season. This despite a season that saw BMW win three races and claim the GT team and manufacturer championships.

"There is no different agenda than there has been since 2009 - and that’s to progress," said last year’s driver co-champion with Dirk Müller. "That’s what we’ve done so well. In 2009, we came in with a new car and won a race. We were a little more consistent in 2010. Then everything came together in 2011. We’ve retained a lot of the same people since the start of the program so there’s no reason why things should be any different this year."

There will be one noticeable change for the coming season. Hand is set to race seven of 10 ALMS races while competing full-time for BMW in DTM.

The 2012 American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón begins with the 60th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida on Saturday on March 17. The race, set for 10:30 a.m. ET and will be broadcast March 18 on ABC and shown live on ESPN3 or ALMS.com.

Still plenty o' yeller, but there's no orange...Dawg must be disappointed. :neener_neener:

not disappointed, its still a Corvette, even though it's painted the two ugliest colors.. :lol

Just playing catch up here, lots of good info guys.

I'm telling Timmeh and Joe you said that...

ALMS: Risi Commits To Sebring

American Le Mans Series veterans firm up plans for the 2012 season-opener...

Posted Image

While the future of Risi Competizione's season-long Ferrari program remains in question, the Houston-based has confirmed its entry for next month's 60th annual Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.

Team manager Dave Sims told SPEED.com Thursday that the team will enter a single Ferrari F458 Italia in the GT category for the American Le Mans Series season-opener, with a yet-to-be-determined driver lineup. [/raises hand] OOH! OOH! I'M AVAILABLE!

With Sebring also playing host to the first round of the FIA World Endurance Championship, Ferrari drivers could come at a premium, as AF Corse will field two WEC season-long entries for Giancarlo Fisichella, Gianmaria Bruni, Andrea Bertolini and Olivier Beretta.

Sims said he expects Risi's lineup to be finalized next week following a Ferrari driver allocation meeting. The likes of Toni Vilander, Rafa Matos and Mika Salo are believed to be in the mix. What, no DesertDawg?

The two-time ALMS GT champions, which kicked off the 2012 season with a fourth-place finish at the 50th Rolex 24, part of a two-car Ferrari F458 Grand Am effort, has still yet to finalize any possible full-season effort in the Rolex Sports Car Series or ALMS.

However, Sims indicated that considerations are ongoing for the team to take part in the two remaining GRAND-AM North American Endurance Championship races at Watkins Glen and Indianapolis this summer.

Any further action in the ALMS beyond the once-around-the-clock classic is unclear at this point. (Translated: they don't have buttloads of cash!)

The team will be out in action during a private test at Sebring on March 10, ahead of the race-week activities.

Risi, schmisi...we got enough Ferraris up in this beeatch already. :deadhorse

ALMS Winter Test: Morning of the Final Day

Posted Image

Halfway through the final day of the American le Mans Series Winter Test at Sebring International Raceway, All the cars have hit the track, and most are beginning to show their true potentials.

Muscle Milk Pickett Racing finally got its LMP1 HPD ARX-03a to run reliably, and by the end of the session it was fastest overall with a lap of 1:50.440 at 120.608—1.223 seconds quicker than the fastest P2, Scott Tucker’s 055 HPD ARX-03b. A far cry from the 1:46.571 Stéphane Sarrazin set in a Peugeot 908 in 2011, but headed in the right direction.

Posted Image

Ferrari still owned GT: the Michelotto car, 29, was top of the roster with a lap of 2:00.061 at 110.94, ahead of the two ESM Ferraris. Fourth in class was the 45 Flying Lizard Porsche, .833 behind the leader and only .04 seconds behind the third-place ESM 02.

Flying Lizard Patrick Long said the team was making steady progress with the new car, and that the improved aero made the new Porsche GT3 RSR vastly more stable on the bad bumps through Turns 1 and 17.

The top four in GT were all lapping faster that Giani Bruni’s 2011 qualifying lap of 201.561—the wider track and wider tires of the 2012 GTs have made the old records irrelevant.

Corvette and BMW were relegated to fifth and sixth in class, ahead of the Krohn Ferrari and all the other Porsches.

In LMPC, the Dempsey Racing Oreca led the field by .785 seconds, with PR1 Mathiasen, Core # 06, and Muscle Milk trailing. It bodes well for the new team that it leads a field full of experienced drivers and crews already familiar with the car.

The 34 Green Hornet Porsche led GTC ahead of the TRG cars. The 368 TRG Porsche ended the session by crumpling its front end—the last in a long string of spins and slides. Through the middle third of the session, at least half a dozen cars spun, went off, or went straight at Turn Seven.

Posted Image

That'll buff out!

In the final third of the session, Turn Five took over as the corner to go off at, as several cars went wide on exit and either went four-wheeling across the sand or spun across the track. Every car was able to restart and rejoin, until the TRG car wrecked. With only a few hours left, several teams will have to scramble to dial in their new cars.

:3gears:

with a yet-to-be-determined driver lineup. [/raises hand] OOH! OOH! I'M AVAILABLE!

Thats all Ferrari needs, a no show driver... you do realize this is just like an event, and we all know you don't go to events... :lol

Plus our luck you'd go out there in the Ferrari and start oogling the C6R's until you crash right into them...

I would attend more if I actually liked any of you. :lol

Besides, that's not only slanderous and defamatory, but also highly speculative. Good day sir.

Posted Image

I said Good Day!

Oh, do't get your kevlar panties all bunched up, Chad say's we don't like you either...

Chad loves me. I let him ride the ninja. And the panties are asbestos, pay attention.

Chad said your ninja was a little to small for him, he likes em big...

and kevlar, asbestos, edible... it don't matter to me. It's not like I wanted to swap spit with you in the shower.

Posted Image

Now that your feeling all gabby, why do you think teh vettes are off the pace, motor? aero?

After ruling GT1 I thought this new class would be a cake walk.

I just KNEW you two big uns were playing hide the salami...

As teh Shifter well knows, they gave the Bimmers certain "considerations" to make the M3 competitive in ALMS, namely GT1 era-spec aero and who knows what else under the hood. They were excellent at sandbagging last year, until it was time to crush everyone. The vettes did take second last year, so it's not like they're NOT competitive, the playing field just isn't level. And the other teams aren't standing still, hell the Ferraris have had a year to sort the 458 and it's wicked now. Porsche has had their German engineering dorks working all nighters so we'll see how Patsy Long performs this year too.

Teh Porch PR blather was just issued...

2012 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR Debuts At Sebring Test With Four Race Cars

Posted Image

The new Porsche 911 GT3 RSR race cars, still in plain white livery as they arrived from the factory in the last week or two, made their world debut as three U.S. customer teams gave them their first race track test preparing for next month’s 60th Anniversary Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida.

The top-of-the-line model of Porsche Motorsport’s customer racing vehicles will head into the 2012 season with extensive modifications. Particularly striking at first glance are the changes to the body: the width of the new GT3 RSR has grown by 48 millimeters. Built to conform to the A.C.O. “LM” GTE regulations, the 911 represents the crowning pinnacle of a range of successful customer sport race cars that are based on the 911 GT3 RS (type 997) street sports car.

Continuing to powering the new 911 GT3 RSR is a particularly efficient six-cylinder boxer engine with a four-liter capacity. With a mandatory air-restrictor, it generates 460 hp (338 kW) and drives the 310 millimeter- wide rear wheels. The diameter of the front wheels has increased by 30 mm to now measure 680 millimeters. The Porsche sequential six-speed gearbox is operated via paddle shifts on the steering wheel.

The nose and rear panels are adapted to the flared front and rear wheel arches, as are the door sill and the wheel arch coverings. The aerodynamic concept is complemented by a new ducting of the intake air. Openings in the rear side sections, as known from the turbo variants of the Porsche 911, replace the air scoop on the engine hood, which is very similar to the 911 GT2 RS street sports car.

The four new 911 GT3 RSRs will be competing in the American Le Mans Series. The car can also compete at the Le Mans 24 Hours, the FIA World Endurance Championship, and the Le Mans Series, as well as the International GT Open and in other series and races.

“Our customer teams can expect a technically mature, high performance race car with which they will be highly competitive at international long distance races,” assures Hartmut Kristen, Head of Porsche Motorsport. “Our test program on various international race tracks is currently running at full speed. We are very pleased with the car’s performance and drivability.”

We'll see about that, Hartmut. Could be a helluva year.

Stay tuned. :Jake:

It are going to be tasty this year....I hope that teh advantages weren't given to Fewawwi this year, but looking at Winter Test, it's a possibility... :banghead

Yeah, I guess second isn't nothing to cry about, and I guess if CR came out in the first season running away with the title then we would have been penalized or something....

From BBV: Corvette has let the wraps (get it?) off the 2012 livery developed by the GM Design Center at the Sebring test session where they're testing two brand new cars for the 2012 ALMS season. Here's what we know: • The ALMS has decided to allow all GT cars the same aerodynamic advantage BMW enjoyed last year - a larger rear wing mounted higher giving more downforce. The added downforce in the rear needed to be matched in the front so canards have been added for the first time. • The cars are 2 inches wider than last year to match Ferrari, adding wheel offset in the rear and extending the control arms in the front. This increased offset also allows 1/2 inch to be added to the width of each tire. • Modified engine management software and a redesigned intake manifold mean better fuel efficiency and more power. • New tire compounds from Michelin will offer better wear than last year's without compromising grip, allowing the Vettes to put in more laps on the track between pit stops. :shifter:

Which is why, imo, BMW is running teh Joey Hand over in DTM this year. They know they won't dominate like last year over here, in fact I bet they have lots of 5th or 7th place finishes since teh rest of teh field has equalized. So they'll put focus on teh DTM series and hope for teh best in ALMS. Patsy Long and Porsche are already raving about teh changes and teh difference thru teh corners even at bumpy Sebring. I just hope CR gets their collective act together and avoids all teh fubar pit stops and driving errors (yes, I said it) that hampered them last year. If they can be consistent, teh car will dominate...it'a a Corvette after all. :Jake:

ALMS: Corvette Racing winter test summary

Corvette Racing press release

Posted Image

Corvette Racing Completes Successful Two-Day Test in Sebring

Chevrolet Team Continues Development of New Corvette C6.R Race Cars

SEBRING, Fla., Feb. 9, 2012 – This was only a test – but as the final shakedown before the season-opening 60th Anniversary Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, the two-day ALMS Winter Test at Sebring International Raceway was crucial for Corvette Racing. The Chevrolet team continued to develop its new Compuware Corvette C6.R race cars and integrate its new driver lineups. The team also unveiled its 2012 livery that features Jake, the team mascot, in the striking yellow and black graphics.

Posted Image

Corvette Racing participated in the series' official preseason test with two new chassis, one new driver, and a revised lineup. Twenty-year-old Jordan Taylor of Apopka, Fla., made his public debut as a Corvette Racing driver, sharing the No. 3 Corvette C6.R with co-drivers Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia. Tommy Milner settled in with the No. 4 Corvette C6.R that he now shares with teammates Oliver Gavin and Richard Westbrook.

Posted Image

Announced last month as the third driver for the Sebring, Le Mans, and Road Atlanta endurance races, Taylor adapted quickly to both his new race car and new team. "It's been exciting so far, being teamed with Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia for the three long-distance races," Taylor said. "It's a lot of pressure, but also a huge opportunity for me to drive with these guys and to learn from them.

Posted Image

"Every time I get out of the car, I compare the data with them to see where I can improve," Taylor explained. "Yesterday Jan was helping me with Turn 1 and now I'm on pace with the quicker guys. Things are going really well so far!"

Posted Image

The twin Corvette C6.R race cars completed nearly 15 hours of track time without any significant issues. While long runs took priority over fast laps, both Corvettes ran considerably quicker than the 2:01.561 lap time that won the GT pole at Sebring last year. The No. 4 Corvette was clocked at 2:00.700, and the No. 3 Corvette turned a lap in 2:00.799 on the historic 17-turn, 3.7-mile circuit.

"The work that the team has done during the off-season gives me a lot of confidence," said Milner. "I can really feel the results when I drive the car, and that's very encouraging. Every test matters and every outing counts because the racing is so competitive in GT. Everyone at Corvette Racing is looking toward our ultimate goals – winning races, winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and winning the ALMS GT championship. Testing here in Sebring with our competitors has given us a benchmark to see how our work has paid off."

Milner's co-driver, Oliver Gavin, agreed: "The new car is very good, and the wider track has helped with the balance," the Briton said. "I would almost say that this GT Corvette C6.R handles like the GT1 Corvettes we raced several years ago. It's simply amazing how the technology, the aerodynamic development, and all of the work done by Corvette Racing's engineers and crew have taken us a step forward for 2012."

Posted Image

Richard Westbrook, third driver for the No. 4 Corvette C6.R, is looking forward to the start of his second season with Corvette Racing at the Sebring enduro. "Everyone has been very determined this winter, and so far, so good," Westbrook said. "The car feels great. It's not just aero, the engines, or one single thing – the Corvette team has taken 50 small items and improved them across the board. As we know, everyone in this class improves every year, so it's going to be tough as ever, but we feel we're in good shape."

Jan Magnussen is equally confident in his return to the No. 3 Corvette C6.R that propelled him to an ALMS championship in 2008. "I'm very positive with everything that we've tried," declared the Dane. "We've gone in a new direction with this car, and when we try something new, we then find another 100 things we want to try! I think this test has been super-productive, and the new car is responding well to the changes we're making. It's always difficult at the Winter Test because the track will be quite different during the Sebring 12-hour race – but I think we are in quite good shape."

Antonio Garcia moves from his role as third driver to a full-season seat in the No. 3 Corvette C6.R. He shared his teammates' optimism after the Sebring test. "We have put all our effort into making this car as fast as possible," Garcia noted. "There have been big changes overall to the bodywork, so there was a lot of work to be done by the engineers and the crew in the shop. We have certainly improved since last year – the question is, how much have the others improved as well? We won't know that until the race, so we just need to focus on our program. I think we will have a very competitive car to fight for victory in the 60th running of the Sebring 12-hour race.

Posted Image

Corvette Racing's next event is the season-opening 60th Anniversary Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring at Sebring International Raceway on March 17.

:Jake:

"Hi...I'm Tommy Milner...and I race Corvettes." :shifter:

Teh Tommy is a star! Check it out, tehy got teh Tommy pitching teh new 427 vert in three videos:

Tommy touts the 427 vert videos :rockon2:

Dear Santa, I want a 427 vert! I promise not to talk bad about Gila Bend ever again!

As far as you know.

Crackmore is a go. Those wider cars should love the ginormous chicane kerbs this year.

ALMS: Atherton Pleased With Baltimore Revival

American Le Mans Series President and CEO looking forward to return of Baltimore Grand Prix, which will be organized by new race promoters...

Posted Image

While questions surrounded the future of the Baltimore Grand Prix, Wednesday's news that city officials have named a new race promoter for 2012 not only comes as a welcome development for the IZOD IndyCar Series but also the American Le Mans Series, which shared the bill for the event's inaugural running last year.

Baltimore Mayor Stephane-Rawlings Blake selected Downforce Racing, a group consisting of Felix Dawson, Daniel Reck and Dale Dillon, the latter who had served as head of operations for previous street races in St. Petersburg and Toronto, as organizers of the Labor Day weekend event in a new five-year contract.

For ALMS President and CEO Scott Atherton, the revival of the Baltimore GP, which proved to be on the of series' most successful events of 2011, a return to Baltimore's Inner Harbor will likely be another highlight of this year's season.

“We’re very pleased with the new partnership between the City of Baltimore and Downforce Racing confirming the continuation of the Baltimore Grand Prix," Atherton said. "The group is very qualified from both an operational and a financial perspective, making it a wise choice for the growth of this great event.

"The new agreement is in the best interests for all parties and sets a course for the long-term success of the race. We look forward to working with Downforce Racing, the Mayor’s Office and all involved to build on the success of the inaugural event.

“There’s no question this news will be extremely well received by all ALMS teams, sponsors - and especially our fans. As was witnessed in 2011, the greater Baltimore/Washington area is full of ALMS enthusiasts and this year’s event will no doubt attract even more.”

More than 100,000 fans turned out for the inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix last year, which saw Olympic Gold Medal-winning swimmer Michael Phelps serve as Grand Marshal for the two-hour ALMS race.

This year's running, scheduled for Sept. 1, is set to be Round 8 of the ten-round championship, which will conclude with the 15th annual Petit Le Mans in mid-October.

Lotus Motorsport, Alex Job Racing form GT partnership

Posted Image

Lotus is joining the ranks of legendary manufacturers to compete in the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón. Lotus Motorsport and Alex Job Racing announced a partnership today that will see Lotus Alex Job Racing compete for the GT championship in the 2012 American Le Mans Series.

The factory-backed effort will feature a 2012 Lotus Evora GTE car beginning with the Tequila Patrón American Le Mans Series at Long Beach the weekend of April 14th. Lotus AJR will carry sponsorship from Battery Tender, William Rast and is a Yokohama-supported team for 2012. It will go head-to-head against factory and works-supported GT entries from the likes of BMW, Chevrolet, Ferrari and Porsche.

"This is doubly good news for the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón," said Scott Atherton, ALMS President and CEO. "It's a pleasure to welcome the Lotus brand and its spectacular Evora to the most competitive GT class of racing in the world. But to have this factory-backed effort spearheaded by Alex Job – one of the most successful team owners in ALMS history – assures that this will be yet another championship-caliber entry to the GT class. I know that fans at each of our events will be enthralled when the AJR Lotus, complete with its iconic livery and Battery Tender sponsorship, hits the track."

Team principal Alex Job confirmed that IndyCar driver Townsend Bell will partner with two-time ALMS Founders Cup winner and AJR driver Bill Sweedler for the full season. The pair will attempt to build on Alex Job Racing’s record of 39 ALMS race victories and three GT championships.

"I am excited to announce the racing partnership between Lotus and Alex Job Racing in North America," Job said. "Our efforts and ability to attract Lotus is a testament to the hard work that AJR has put in over the past several years. This partnership – along with our key sponsors William Rast, Battery Tender and Yokohama – represents a new chapter for our seasoned organization and for the ALMS.

“Bill Sweedler, Townsend Bell, and Colin Dyne (CEO, William Rast) played the key role in forging this long-term relationship with Lotus,” he added. “We collectively look forward to representing this iconic sports car brand for years to come in GT racing."

"We are focused on winning," said Dany Bahar, CEO of Group Lotus. "Alex Job has one of the best records in sports car racing. We look forward to working together and developing a top-tier team over the coming years. Racing is a core component of the Lotus brand, and we are thrilled to have this new partnership to further enhance our winning racing heritage."

Atherton said that heritage will fit well in the ALMS paddock.

“Lotus has made a lot of racing news lately with significant programs announced in multiple categories of motorsport,” he added. “After a full evaluation of all options we are proud they selected the ALMS for their factory-backed GT racing platform. This represents the best possible opportunity for Lotus to race what they sell and to showcase the technology and performance of their cars against the benchmark examples of the industry.”

Bell's racing pedigree boasts an Indy Lights Championship in 2001 and Rookie of the Year honors in 2000. He finished fourth in the 2009 Indy 500 and was the first American to have a podium finish in the FIA Formula 3000 Series.

"We are delighted to welcome Townsend to the Lotus AJR family," Job continued. "Townsend comes from a distinguished career in IndyCar and open-wheel racing in the U.S. and Europe. His natural speed and personality will make for a successful partnership.”

"I am really excited about 2012 and driving with Townsend," Sweedler said. “He will be a strong addition to the team. I had a fantastic time working with AJR for the last couple of years and am honored to continue as one of their drivers. Alex and his team run a first class operation just like Lotus. It will be a strong partnership."

Added Bell, "Having the chance to represent such a great brand like Lotus is simply awesome. The fact that I get to work with one of the best teams in sports car racing is icing on the cake. I'm really fired up to work with Lotus AJR and Bill in what will undoubtedly be a great adventure. Time to buckle up!"

Man, it's going to be a busy field with all of those cars.....imagine what Lime Rock is going to be like, especially if it rains, as it's wont to do... :ack

Ooh...purdy. But "championship caliber" is a euphemism at best...

Do you remember the Lotus Insect Fumigation service at Le Mans last year???

Posted Image

Posted Image

:smilelol

I know that fans at each of our events will be enthralled

They have mediication for that don't they?

I know that fans at each of our events will be enthralled

They have mediication for that don't they?

I'm probably on it... :facepalm: