NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Adding header = tune ?

shockwave

so Im getting ready to put some SLP long tube headers on. But before I do that I wanted to know if I have to get a tune. By have I mean will shit go wrong if I dont. :thankyou:

Having a tune can keep the dreaded "Catalytic Converter Efficiency Low" codes from popping up after a header install due to the smaller cats most systems come with. If you are removing the cats, a tune is required to keep the Check Engine Light from illuminating. Many years ago we had O2 simulators to help us solve these issues without a tune, but they are no longer commercially available. Having a tune can also optimize engine performance, but the header's true potential will not be realized until the remainder of the engine combination (especially the cam and cylinder head selection) has been installed. Having headers and no other modifications is like having a football helmet but no pads. You have to consider the entire host of components to make them worth the purchase. As always, your mileage may vary.

Sometimes Chad had to wear a football helmet to ride the "bus". Seriously, I've learned from others that you need a goal, then form a plan with the list of parts you need to obtain that goal and get them. Don't haphazardly assemble "upgrades".

I have a 05 c6 mn6 with lg pros lg cats varam intake n corsa sport dont have a tune yet car runs great n no codes or lights maybe im one of the lucky ones idk by the way i love my setup sounds the best to me

I have a 05 c6 mn6 with lg pros lg cats varam intake n corsa sport dont have a tune yet car runs great n no codes or lights maybe im one of the lucky ones idk by the way i love my setup sounds the best to me

as always punctuation marks are still free here on ACE.

Guest Sidewinder

This maybe true; but how much better would it run WITH a tune) IDK

So I got the headers in and started to look around to see what is going to be done. I noticed there are no cats on the cat. I still have the rear 02's but I'm not getting any check engine light or any indication from the ecu that the cats failed our that their gone. Is this an indication the car has a tune or has some kind of simulator for them?

If the car has no cats, but has rear O2s and no check engine light, it sounds to me like it has been tuned.

If the car has no cats, but has rear O2s and no check engine light, it sounds to me like it has been tuned.

Is there anyway to find out what system or flash it has?

Get with someone who can read your PCM calibration and compare it to a stock tune file. I recommend getting with Nic and seeing if he can assist you.

Get with someone who can read your PCM calibration and compare it to a stock tune file.

I recommend getting with Nic and seeing if he can assist you.

What is Nic's screen name or maybe he can chime in and let me know :howdy