NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

HOW-TO MAKE UP BRAIDED STEEL LINES

SLAMMER

THOUGHT I WOULD PASS ON THIS INFO I USED TO MAKE UP MY TRANSMISSIONS COOLER LINES. I LOOKED UP THIS KIND OF INFO ONLINE BEFORE AND NOW THAT I HAVE DONE IT A FEW TIMES I THOUGH I WOULD EXPAND ON A FEW DETAILS AND HELPFUL HINTS SO YOU CAN HAVE A SHORTER LEARNING CURVE.

Posted Image

#1 TIGHTLY RAP END OF LINE WITH ELECTRICAL OR I USED DUCT TAPE. I HAVE USED BOTH AND PERFER THE DUCT TAPE.

Posted Image

#2 USE A SHEER CUTTER TO CUT THE BRAIDED LINE. I TRIED OTHER METHODS LIKE GRINDER WITH CUTTING WHEEL AND DREMEL TOO. SHEER WORKS BEST.

Posted Image

#3 RESHAPE CUT LINE BACK TO ROUND SHAPE FROM OVAL CUT SHAPE. CAREFULLY PULL OFF TAPE AS NOT TO DEFORM OR FRY STEEL STRANDS.

Posted Image

#4 CAREFULLY PRESS ON FITTING OVER THE STEEL COVER HOSE. THIS CAN BE TOUGH IF YOU MESSED UP RETAP AND CUT THE LINE FALLOWING STEPS #1-#3 AND DO IT AGAIN. YOU'LL GET IT.

Posted Image

#5 NEXT WITH THE END ON GRAB THE LINE FIRMLY AND POUND THE FITTING SQUARELY ON A FIRM HARD SURFACE UNTILL THE HOSE IS SEATED FULLY TO THE BEGINNING OF THE THREADS.

Posted Image

#6 MAKE SURE HOSE IS FULLY SEATED.

Posted Image

#7 WRAP THE BRAIDED LINE TIGHT UP AGAIST THE FITTING TO MARK LOCATION. IMPORTANT STEP!

Posted Image

#8 LUBRICATE THREADED BARB WITH LIGHT OIL.

Posted Image

#9 INSERT THREADED BARB END INTO BRAIDED HOSE AND TIGHTEN BY HAND. HOLD HOSE TIGHTLY AND SUPPORT END THAT WAS MARKED WITH DUCT TAPE. THE TAPE IS TO CHECK IF FITTING SLIPPED DOWN.

Posted Image

#10 USE BOX WRENCHES TO FULLY TIGHTEN CONNECTIONS TOGETHER. BOX WRENCHES DON'T SLIP AND MAR AND DAMAGE FITTING FINISHES.

Posted Image

#11 MAKE SURE YOU ALIGN THE TWO NUTS SO YOU CAN GET THE BOX WRENCHES OFF. YOU CAN COME BACK LATER AND CAREFULLY SNUG THE FITTINGS TOGETHER. THEY NEED TO BE LINED UP TO GET THE INNER WRENCH OFF.

Posted Image

#12 REMOVE THE TAPE. IT SHOULD STILL BE AGAINST THE FITING OR PRETTY CLOSE TO IT. IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY IN STEP #11 YOU WILL SEE ABOUT 1/16" GAP BETWEEN THE BLACK FITTNG AND THE TAPE. THAT IS YOUR MAX FUDGE FACTOR! ANY MORE AND YOU SHOULD REDO THE STEP MAKING SURE YOU PUT PRESSURE AGAINST THE HOSE AND FITTING WHILE YOU SCREW THE BARBED THREADED END INTO THE HOSE. YOUR FINISHED WITH ONE END NOW MEASURE FOR LENGTH AND ADD A FEW INCHES FOR INSURANCE AND REPEAT THE PROCESS FOR THE OTHER END.

Posted Image

I HOPE THIS WAS INFORMATIVE AND HELPS YOU IN YOUR BRAIDED LINE UPGRADE.

SLAMMER :bang

I give this project a 1 hammer on the scale of difficulty

Posted Image

You are correct! :agree Old habits die hard. really was concentrating on getting the right picture with the description and using the shift key is Soooooo distracting. :willy

I'll renew my capitalization restriction efforts as a New Years resolution #1.

SLAMMER :bang

great job .... and good illustrations .... quick question .... I asked the guys at the shop about doing something similar for fuel lines .... they told me they really didn't recommend it as over time they will leak ... I have no experience with this, but would be interested in everyone's thoughts and/or recommendations .... (kinda :hijack: ... but not intended)

I looked on line and found a company that used a nylon vs. rubber inner hose for fuel lines. I think the idea was that the rubber would deteriorate over time. Although I'm not sure what this company's tubing really is made from. However the steel lines are a no brainer however they may not look as good as the stainless with the colored fittings. SLAMMER :bang