NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

vented hoods

shockwave

Well Im getting ready to start a new project with a extra hood I have. I have a couple question for the pros and just how likes what.

Pros.

what are the best functional hoods?

What are the best area's for vents?

any structural issue with vented on cowl hoods?

could last ones. Im looking to do a vented hood but I want it to look aggressive yet clean. Any suggestions?

Almost like this but with the stock hood. I have done some hoods before so I dont think this should be to hard if I take my time. Have a feeling there is going to be a lot of sanding going on

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...
NearlyGone85

that is a nice hood. I have been wanting a new for a while now but am terrified of it coming to me looking like a dorito or soemthing and having to spend 20 hours sanding and filling.

OK so I know I have not been updating this but here we go. Did some more research and looked at many many many hoods. I just kinda did my own thing. By no means is this finished but its a start. I started to lay fiberglass on the sides of the vents but need to put more down for extra strength.

So my question to you all is....... What do you think about the center vent? I'm not thrilled about it so far. I was thinking of making a small lip in font of it or something. sigh I don't know, I'm just going to work on the side vents for now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Well the hood is coming along slowly but surely. Not working on it anywhere near as much as I would like but o well.

Here's a picture from not to long ago. Made a little more headway since then and both sides are smoothed out. The middle still bothers me for some reason.

Posted Image

I am not a fan of any vented hood that I have seen other than the MCM hood, but... The one thing that jumps out and slaps me around on what you have done is all the sharp angles. Everything on a C5 is very soft sculpted, flowing, like it's all been heavily sanded. There's no sharp angles or creases. The holes you cut are in such striking contrast to the rest of the car's features that they don't look natural. Map props for tackling this on your own, but I think aesthetically your alterations are in conflict with the rest of the car. My suggestion, and it's a bit late now... I would try to emulate the side scoop into the hood, obviously in smaller scale. Look at the signature pic of my car below. If you could incorporate that type of shape into the hood, I just think it would integrate much nicer, and look like it's supposed to be there.

I have a picture of a really nicely done hood on my laptop. Its as they said smooth and follows the lines of the C5.

All good points. Thanks all. So I think that by making the vents more round like the side vents is a great idea. I'll need to mess around with the idea a little more now. But I would agree that it does need to flow more. that would be great Cross if you could post that up.

• 3 weeks later...

Did a little work and fitting on the vette today. Think its coming along nicely. Think I'll need to round it out the edges more. Might make a nice track hood some day lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

Well more work and got a coat of white primer on it. I did drive around with the hood and did find that the car was running cooler on the streets and highway. So there is that added benefit. What do you guys think about it now?

Posted Image

Posted Image

:thumbs Well done, sir. :willy I was REALLY worried with those first coupla pix, but you made it work. I applaud your skillz. :clap

It sure looks good in the pics. :thumbs The personal creative stuff is always interesting to see.