NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Oooo Ted Yoder

shockwave

You seem to be the man for cleaning up, polishing and waxing. So I take a good look at my paint after the polish and wax day and there were swirl marks everywhere on the car still. I did my best with the cleaning but they are still there :willy what can I do......is there a real product out there that will work or a technique? I always hand was my cars, double buckets, hand polish, machine wax, micro and wool for cleaning wax and what not.

Polishing by hand can be a real difficult task. Most mild swirls can be removed with a Dual Action polisher, a medium density foam pad and a quality polish of your choice. More severe swirl marks may require a firmer pad, higher speed and a cutting compound. A wax our sealant is a gloss agent and won't fix swirls. They key is to start less aggressive and go more aggressive if needed. Anyone who is interested in learning can come and watch me anytime when I work. I was actually thinking of hosting a detail day in January at my house and doing some demonstrations if people are interested. Anyone can do this with the right equipment and some practice.

I would be happy to take you up on the detailing day to watch. Are there certain products you recommend or use the most?

Guest badbobs95

I taught Ted everything he knows. OK, maybe it's the other way around! Posted Image I suggest you go to a "Tedster" detail workshop to see for yourself how these products work.

If you want to save yourself a little time, buy a couple of clay bars, and a dual-action polisher like a Flex, Meguiars, Porter Cable, Griots. This is what you will need if you want your car to look its best and do it yourself. Check out ADS, Auto detailing Solutions in Chandler for products. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I use Meguires products because that's what I learned to use. They are reasonably priced and give me predictable results. There are a lot of great products out there and you can spend as much as you want. I like the Flex polisher, Lake Country polishing pads, Meguires 105 cut, Meguires 205 for a polish, and any quality synthetic sealant or carnuba wax. There are other specialty products as needed.

I was thinking January. Honestly, I've been super busy with cars, family, and full time work. I was thinking about taking a couple weeks off around Christmas/New Years. I would like to do something with at least 3-4 weeks notice so people can plan. I would need a volunteer car for all of us to practice on.

Mag red 02 vert

Polishing by hand can be a real difficult task. Most mild swirls can be removed with a Dual Action polisher, a medium density foam pad and a quality polish of your choice. More severe swirl marks may require a firmer pad, higher speed and a cutting compound. A wax our sealant is a gloss agent and won't fix swirls. They key is to start less aggressive and go more aggressive if needed.

Anyone who is interested in learning can come and watch me anytime when I work. I was actually thinking of hosting a detail day in January at my house and doing some demonstrations if people are interested. Anyone can do this with the right equipment and some practice.

Mag red 02 vert

Ted I'd like to observe too. In addition to the regular grime, I have a lot of small (some not so small) rock chips. Do I get touchup paint at the dealership for my VIN? I'd like to see how that is applied as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ted

I'd like to observe too. In addition to the regular grime, I have a lot of small (some not so small) rock chips. Do I get touchup paint at the dealership for my VIN? I'd like to see how that is applied as well.

Thats the only place I've been able to find it. I haven't seen Duplicolor available yet. If someone else knows of another source please chime in.

I've heard of fair to good results from Dr Color Chip but I haven't used it.

They didn't have my color available, I use the touch up paint and a adhesive cleaner to the same thing.

edit spelling

I was thinking January. Honestly, I've been super busy with cars, family, and full time work. I was thinking about taking a couple weeks off around Christmas/New Years. I would like to do something with at least 3-4 weeks notice so people can plan.

I would need a volunteer car for all of us to practice on.

I volunteer my car but only for you to demonstrate on. :ok:

Guest badbobs95

If anyone is looking for an exact paint match, I know of two places I have used.

#1 Space Age on Country Club Dr. between Southern and Broadway

#2 Scottsdale Paint by Miller and McDowell

They can duplicate any color there is and put it in a can or bottle. Posted Image and it's not expensive.

I've heard of fair to good results from Dr Color Chip but I haven't used it.

I bought into this voodoo when I first got my car, terrible paint "match". There are variations on the pewter from year to year (that's what my touch-up guy told and showed me) so that probably explains that issue. Other colors might be easier to match