NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Wheel Dent / Ding Removal

AdamMeh

It appears that someone along the way lost their key to the locking lugs and chose to hammer and chisle the locks off the wheels. They managed to get all of them off without damaging the wheels except one. It has some dents in it - what appears to be the small end of a ball peen hammer. These are the factory aluminum wheels on my '77. Does anyone know of a wheel guy locally that might be able to fix this or am I just looking at replacing one wheel? Don't really want to buy a replacement for two reasons 1. Cost and B. :banannarainbow: it will be much "fresher" looking than the other three. Maybe I could find a decent used wheel instead if I have to replace this. Thanks in advance for any advice, Adam FYI - if you ever lose your key, you can get a replacement from the manuafacturer (like McGard etc). Just lay a piece of white paper over the locking lug and use a pencil to shade the shape onto the paper. Send that to them and they'll get you a replacement key. Done it myself and it was a much better option then hamming on your wheels.

Guest badbobs95

I'm told that the best place to go is Arizona Wheel @ 260 S. Alma School in Mesa. That's by Alma and Main. 480-834-0620

Good luck! Posted Image

I'm told that the best place to go is Arizona Wheel @ 260 S. Alma School in Mesa. That's by Alma and Main. 480-834-0620

Good luck! Posted Image

:thumbs I'll give them a call and see what I can find out.

Thank you!

Adam

Guest badbobs95

Good luck! Posted Image

:thumbs I'll give them a call and see what I can find out.

Thank you!

Adam

Ya, you betcha! Let me know what you find out so I will know whether to recommend them again or not. Posted Image

Yep, the first listing has wheels like mine - those still have the black in the middle which seems to be something that was either removed or just came off over time on the ones I have seen (including mine). The second listing (finned wheels) - I don't think those are a factory wheel, but I'm new to the Corvette world so I could be very wrong about that. Thanks for posting this up QS! :thumbs Adam

• 4 months later...

Ended up doing it myself... :thumbs

Posted Image

That looks awesome! What did you use to fix it? :partydance::yourock:

:thankyou: I started with 80 grit discs on my drill and then went to hand sanding with 180, 220, 600, 1500 wet and finally 2000 wet. Then polished with this some McGuiars polish and Nevrdull. Took a few hours, but it turned out pretty well I think. :thumbs Adam

Thanks guys. I'm sure it's not as perfect as a pro wheel repair guy would do, but it's a huge improvement and is certainly good enough for a driver car. :thumbs Adam