NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Antenna Broke

nort99

My antenna all of a sudden just stayed up and would not go down by it's self. If I would help it out a bit it would go back in. Then come up when told to. But would need some help to go back in. Took it apart to find that the plastic strip with teeth on it was so brittle that when you look at it the wrong way it would just break into. So I am now looking for a new power antenna since I can't seem to find replacement parts for it. New replacement power antenna for a convertible are only $99.99.

I would think that somebody would have new telescoping antenna with the plastic gear deal to replace the old one without replacing the entire power deal, as of yet I have not found that part only. :P

92ZR1Wannabe

You should be able to buy a new mast with the plastic strip on it ready to install.

Mine took a crap (on a C4) and I simply ordered a mast and had it installed in about 5 min, and I think I only paid 29 bucks for the mast.

O , mine did not exactly die from being to brittle either. The antenna itself had a close encounter with the auto car wash on dyno day awhile back. I was not impressed , lol. :huh

You should be able to buy a new mast with the plastic strip on it ready to install.

Mine took a crap (on a C4) and I simply ordered a mast and had it installed in about 5 min, and I think I only paid 29 bucks for the mast.

O , mine did not exactly die from being to brittle either. The antenna itself had a close encounter with the auto car wash on dyno day awhile back. I was not impressed , lol. :huh

That is what I was thinking also. I can find a new mast for a C4 but can not find one for a C5. I will keep looking for a bit. Thanks. :P

:cuss I have to replace mine as well, but have been putting it off forever...I'm really good at procrastination. The antenna is stuck in the up position, but I can still hear the motor trying to retract and extend it, so I too thought I'd just find a new mast for it. But it appears I will get a whole new unit. You have to go in through the tail-light to remove/replace the unit, and my hands are still healing from the shredding they took while replacing my driving light bulbs. So....

Maybe I'll wash the truck today....or clean the pool, or.... :leaving

Mine took a crap (on a C4) and I simply ordered a mast and had it installed in about 5 min,  and I think I only paid 29 bucks for the mast.

O , mine did not exactly die from being to brittle either.  The antenna itself had a close encounter with the auto car wash on dyno day awhile back.  I was not impressed ,  lol. :huh

That is what I was thinking also. I can find a new mast for a C4 but can not find one for a C5. I will keep looking for a bit. Thanks. :P

U could use a coat hanger

Guest Kens06
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVETTE-Po...653775611QQrdZ1

Just an example.  I actually have a extra brand new mast ,  wonder if will work.

Well Joe,

I bought another Joe's 92 and I know it would work on that one.

Maybe we can hookup on another northern venture!!

No hurry, I hardly drive the car and the F'd up CD in the Bose may send me to AZP&S for some kick azz audio anyway!! :thumbs

Ken

Just an example. I actually have a extra brand new mast , wonder if will work.

Thanks for the link, I have one on the way. Now that sure is cheap enough. :P I searched the Internet and sure never found this place. Bridge Wood Motors. Thanks for heading me in the right direction. I appreciate it very much. :P

post-2-1151368527.jpg

I got an e-mail this morning saying that they shipped my mast by priority mail. Should have it in a couple of days. Pretty quick service from them. Now I just hope it is the right one. Well let you know if it fits. :rolleyes

92ZR1Wannabe

Just an example.   I actually have a extra brand new mast ,  wonder if will work.

Well Joe,

I bought another Joe's 92 and I know it would work on that one.

Maybe we can hookup on another northern venture!!

No hurry, I hardly drive the car and the F'd up CD in the Bose may send me to AZP&S for some kick azz audio anyway!! :thumbs

Ken

We can do that !

Hell we can install it in about 5 min .. lol

O , you can also have your bose CD player completely rebuilt for less then 200 bucks. I believe the outfit is called Dr Dons someplace in Texas. Ill get the specifics. Its a pretty highly reguared outfit and comes highly recommended from CF members.

When they are going through the player they also upgrade it to read CDR's. And when it boils down to it, the Bose Gold systems are really not that bad of a system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found it ,, even better then I remember. 130 bucks , with a 24 hour turn around time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dr-Dons-Delco-Bose-CD-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Like I said , the Corvette Forum members swear by this guy. Im sending mine to him as soon as i get motivated enough to dig it out of the dash. I does not like to accept CD's sometimes.

Got my new mast today in the mail. I installed it in about ten minutes. It works fine except for the last four inches it will not go all the way back down. So that means that I have four inches of plastic strip busted off the old one and it is still in the drive gear. So I popped the brake light out and took the motor out as far as I could get it out the hole. Which it says to do and take apart the drum and remove the broken piece out of the drum. I can't get the drum apart so I put it all back together and decided that I am going to start a new look for the C-5. So now when the radio is off the mast stays up about four inches. Looks Cool. :D Going to sent a picture to GM and suggest that they do the same from now on. :burnout

92ZR1Wannabe
Got my new mast today in the mail. I installed it in about ten minutes. It works fine except for the last four inches it will not go all the way back down. So that means that I have four inches of plastic strip busted off the old one and it is still in the drive gear. So I popped the brake light out and took the motor out as far as I could get it out the hole. Which it says to do and take apart the drum and remove the broken piece out of the drum. I can't get the drum apart so I put it all back together and decided that I am going to start a new look for the C-5. So now when the radio is off the mast stays up about four inches. Looks Cool. :D Going to sent a picture to GM and suggest that they do the same from now on. :burnout

That sucks, I know that if your mast breaks off inside the motor / drum setup it is a automatic change the whole deal. :(