AC Cooling on one side Only

nort99

My C5's AC has been a bit warmer on the drivers side than the passenger side ever since I got her in Jan, of 06. When I turn on the ac it always get nice and cold on the passenger side right away and then take a couple of miles before the driver side would get cold. Of course the hotter it gets outside the longer it would take to get the driver side to cool down. At first I was thinking that maybe it was a damper door that was taking awhile to close all the way or something, but then the hotter it got the longer it would take to cool down. I use to take care of all of our work trucks ac back in Illinois, so I said self lets just look at the sight glass and see if we seen any bubbles in it. Sounded easy enough to me. Hell I am still looking for the darn thing. Any way put some gages on her and added some freon. Now she gets cold on both sides right away. Here is hoping that I have a very small leak and I have to only add some once a year or so.

Maybe if anyone else has this problem this might help ya out.

If anyone know where the sight glass is on a 98 C5, let me know please. :flag

I could be wrong (yah right!), but I'm thinking that they haven't used sight glasses for a number of years. I don't have one on my 94 and even my mother's 88 lincoln doesn't have one. :huh Robert :burnout

you should have filled with that UV reactive freon - then you can see where it's leaking and either replace or (forgive my ignorance) don't they make a stop leak for A/C?

Don't use stop leak.

Not a good thing on AC from what I've heard.

You can get the R134 with UV dye already in it then you can see the leaks really, really easy.

It sounld like it's more of an issue with your AC vent controls then AC unit itself. Do you have dual climate? I'd also do a search on the corvetteforum in the C5 section. I've seen AC temp issues before talked about in there. Most can be fixed by a do it yourself type of person.

Yep have dual controls, But it is all fixed. It was just low on freon so added some and it now works great. I just posted this incase someone else has a problem like this. :P

Run your codes, see if you have an HVAC Code on the DIC.

Nope nothing on the DIC that I am able to find about the HVAC. If I have that I don't know how to make it show up on the DIC. Do other C5's have that? :P Not sure how to run my codes. How do ya do that? :P Thanks

Here is what you do: Press and hold options and then press Fuel 4 times while still holding the options button you must do this quickly. A message will appear saying "Diagonstics" then it will automatically read off the codes. Like....02-PCM(No codes)....03-BCM(No Codes)...ect. if there is a code it will look something like this 02-PCM (1052H) NOTICE THE H at the end of the code, That represents a code that has happened in HISTORY. If there is a C after the code it is CURRENT. To clear the codes let it automatically cycle through the codes then it will come to (MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS) this is where you can clear codes. Use the options button to scroll forward and the TRIP to scroll backward find the code(s) to be erased like 02-PCM (2Codes). To erase this, press and hold the reset button until it says "NO CODES" There you have done it!!!. To exit the Diagonstic menu press the METRIC BUTTON

Here is what you do: Press and hold options and then press Fuel 4 times while still holding the options button you must do this quickly. A message will appear saying "Diagonstics" then it will automatically read off the codes. Like....02-PCM(No codes)....03-BCM(No Codes)...ect. if there is a code it will look something like this 02-PCM (1052H) NOTICE THE H at the end of the code, That represents a code that has happened in HISTORY. If there is a C after the code it is CURRENT. To clear the codes let it automatically cycle through the codes then it will come to (MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS) this is where you can clear codes. Use the options button to scroll forward and the TRIP to scroll backward find the code(s) to be erased like 02-PCM (2Codes). To erase this, press and hold the reset button until it says "NO CODES" There you have done it!!!. To exit the Diagonstic menu press the METRIC BUTTON

Thanks for lesson on DIC. Going to try that out. And Eddie thanks for link printed that out should be very helpful. :cool

Guest Sidewinder

Make sure your DIC isn't reading DOOR AJAR or any other warning message. Hit reset to go to cooling temp or something of that nature.