NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Micro Fiber Towels

LMBZ4ME

Are all micro fiber towels the same? What do you look for when buying MFT’s and where do you purchase yours?

I get the larger ones, preferibly ones that are a lil more "shag" if you will. the basi ones 12x12s with very lil material are ok for some. I like mine to be a little fluffier for lack of a better term, and I cut off the edges of them. yea, they fray...but I dont want that sewn edge on my whip.

Not sure that one kind is better than another. However, when you get them, cut off the tags. I have heard that the tags can scratch a surface.

I'm not real picky about the MFT's that I use. I have some that I bought at Wally World and they seem to take off the polish well and I also I have a couple that I got in either a care care kit by AmourAll and Maguires and they seem to be about the same IMO.

I usually look for the biggest bag at the cheapest price. I don't have a preference. Different colors for different areas though so I don't intermix brake dust with waxing.

I get mine at Costco, big bag cheap price!

:agree I do cut off the tags as well. I only use them once for polishing. Dirty ones get thrown in a bin, washed and only used for wheel rags. Once they get too dirty they get tossed.

I buy them at Target in a 12 pack, and just only use them once before they become rags. I do have some from Griot's, and I use those for polishing, and as stated above, they are awesome.

Take an old CD (or a new Barry Manilow CD)with you and see if the microfibers scratch the CD.. If they do ....don't buy them.

Not all MFT's are the same. If you take the towel and drag it across your hand and it snags your skin,it's a cheap towel and I wouldn't use it. If you drop it on the ground throw it away. If you wash them, use cold water and DO NOT put them in the dryer, let them air dry. Also cut the tags off before use.

Guest badbobs95

I get mine at Costco, big bag cheap price!

Same here. One tip though, don't wash you're MFTs with regular towels. Always wash separately because they will pick up the lint from the regular stuff. Posted Image

Guest Sidewinder

I use to use those bulk MF's from Costco etc until I bought a clay bar kit from Meguires with a "premium" MF in it. It was much much better than the bulk ones. I will never use those on my cars finish again.

• 2 weeks later...
Wills.WindowsAndWheels

A bit late replying here but as others said all microfibers are NOT the same...thats for sure. HOWEVER good doesn't mean expensive. A lot of microfibers are the exact same (higher end ones) but a company will take it and rename it something fancy and quadruple the price cause it has a cute name. I recently made an order from my micro-fiber guy and got two different types. They are usually defined in quality by their in gsm. Autogeek.net sells their 'cobra' microfibers for $3-4 bucks each...i had some..but bought what looked to be the same towel from my microfiber guy...compared them side by side...its the same towel but i paid about $1 each (when buying a 10 pack). They were 360 gsm Towels. Used them on a brand new 2012 Charger we polished out on Saturday and they worked great. Super soft and didn't hurt the paint. I used 530 GSM towels to remove the sealant after we applied it...man those things are nice...and the EXACT SAME as the ones i had bought before on SALE for $5 each (these are small 16x16" ones too by the way). These were only about $3 each. So if you can find the right person to buy from you can save money in buying good quality towels. For us....we have a few 25x36" 'big dry' towels as we call them..we use them for...drying...obviously lol. Usually go around with a smaller 16x16" incase the big on leaves any light water streaks...or we'll use a 16x16 (usually equivalent to the 360 gsm i described earlier) to apply a spray wax after a wash. Then use a separate set of 360's for polish removal..and use our softest 530's for wax removal since that is the LAST step of a detail. The sams club/costco ones do have purpose....like for interiors or for wheels (though dont use one on the wheels and then go and use it on your interior) or things like that they work well...but for your paint...have a nice supply of some high quality towels. Wash them separate, either use a microfiber detergent or a liquid detergent with no softeners or scents in them. If you wash with other towels/clothes the fibers will get all kinds of cotton or lint in them and then you have to pick it ALL out...not fun. You CAN use a drying but if you do use low heat and as someone else suggested, don't dry all the way, let the last bit of moisture air dry out. No dryer sheets either. When mine are all clean i put them into big zip-lock bags so they stay clean till im ready to use em :)

• 2 months later...