double din in a c5

philv

I was told that they don't fit, but yet I see some c5's with them. what/how much modification is needed for one to fit and look correct? also what size are the speakers? I can't find that out either.

wickedfastvette

I've been trying to figure out the same thing myself, I think Chris "Big Poppa" has a double din.

It's possible, you just have to modify the dash. Iculukn (Glenn) is doing this to his car RIGHT NOW. You might be able to go to the shop doing it and see what it takes, if you feel so inclined. There's another thread about putting a stereo in Blackula, read that. You have to either modify your, or buy a pre-modified radio bezel. I bought mine from Dennis at DoubleDMods, as did Glenn, as Dennis does awesome work. You can get lots of different options as far as texture and color finish, leather if you gotz that kinda cash, and like I did, you can get a gauge cluster to hold a couple gauges where the factory cupholder is. You also have to modify behind the bezel to be able to drop the HVAC unit down a half inch or so if you get the more popular bezel. Dennis offers one that allows you to leave that alone, but it just doesn't look as good. http://shop.doubledmods.com/C5-Corvette-97-04-Double-Din-Bezel_c2.htm The speakers... All C5's have an 8" and 4" in the door. Coupes have a 6 1/2" in the back, Z06 and verts have a 5" in the rear. You can buy adapter plates on ebay, and all over if you look (I bet Dennis sells them as well), that will let you do a 6 1/2" in the door with or without a tweet. I did my tweets in the A-Pillar right by where the defogger vents are, and I believe Glenn is as well. It really helps with imaging as the door speakers are so low and get covered by your knees.

Its way too much work for you to do and have it look factory. Dennis at doubledmods.com does AWESOME work and is very reasonably priced. The only downside is that he is a small operation, so you may need to wait to get your part back. Tell Dennis Glenn from Phoenix sent you and he may hook you up. I am running a 6.5" in the door and a 1" tweeter in the a-pilar. Then 2x10 JL subs in the back.

I have a Double Din in mine, took some modification to the bezel but more importantly to the metal structure behind where the stock radio goes. I had to literally cut out pieces. I personally like the stock bose system with the right adapter. Someone here was selling the adapter that makes all the factory speakers and amps work so I have a really nice sounding system with no issue finding replacements and it already has sub's built into the doors I love it. Making the system look perfect takes some time. I keep saying I am going to change something on mine and never remember too as its not a big issue and I was focused on other area's anyway. I think now I will start working on it.

yeah mine is all messed up. someone put a cheapo alpine deck in and cheapo speakers. sounds like ass and here in a month or 2 I'd like to change it. I'll have to talk to dennis, sounds like he's the man for c5 audio