Wanted to Share a Great Experience

1EvilC5

Just had a new SPEC Stage 3 clutch & flywheel installed in my 03 Vette by AZ Power & Sound a few weeks back. I just completed the break in period and it is doing just great.

Thanks to Mike and Steve for the great job and answering all my questions. :thumbs:thumbs

Phil... :devil

Cool.

I'm sitting on basically the same clutch set up, just haven't had the need to install it, yet. How is the driveability of the Stage 3? Any chatter off the line or stop and go nuisances? I've read different tech notes on it, and they all vary, but I have never seen one in action.

Just as a curiosity question: have you been running the stock clutch with that supercharger?

Cool.

I'm sitting on basically the same clutch set up, just haven't had the need to install it, yet. How is the driveability of the Stage 3? Any chatter off the line or stop and go nuisances? I've read different tech notes on it, and they all vary, but I have never seen one in action.

Just as a curiosity question: have you been running the stock clutch with that supercharger?

Yes I was running the stock clutch with the supercharger. It held up to normal driving but once I got on it, the clutch pedal would stick to the floor, it would not let me go into 3rd gear, etc...

As for the drivability, at first it took a while to get use to it. I find myself giving it more gas to reduce any chatter that was still there. But when I now get on it, it sticks well and no slipping like the stock on had.

Phil... :devil

Cool.

just an FYI - they DO CHATTER

i have one on mine - has close to 3000 miles on it

when i'm at a stoplight and put the car in neutral and let off the clutch, that thing just "talks" up a storm

i also have "hop" when taking off from a dead stop

seems to hold up my 500 N/A HP though - haven't squeezed the juice yet! :willy

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Cool.

I'm sitting on basically the same clutch set up, just haven't had the need to install it, yet.  How is the driveability of the Stage 3?  Any chatter off the line or stop and go nuisances?  I've read different tech notes on it, and they all vary, but I have never seen one in action.

when i'm at a stoplight and put the car in neutral and let off the clutch, that thing just "talks" up a storm

Some chatter, some dont... 99% of the ones WE install do NOT chatter, however some do. Generally the only time they do chatter is when you use a machined flywheel instead of a new flywheel. A lot of that noise can be associated with the throwout bearing or pilot bearing as well.

Chris, I think the noise you are talking about is probably the throwout bearing as "clutch chatter" refers to the chatter when engaging the clutch and it has a chatter effect when the disc is engaging but not quite fully engaged... this is common with "puck" style clutches, or race style

Cool.

I'm sitting on basically the same clutch set up, just haven't had the need to install it, yet.  How is the driveability of the Stage 3?  Any chatter off the line or stop and go nuisances?  I've read different tech notes on it, and they all vary, but I have never seen one in action.

Some chatter, some dont... 99% of the ones WE install do NOT chatter, however some do. Generally the only time they do chatter is when you use a machined flywheel instead of a new flywheel. A lot of that noise can be associated with the throwout bearing or pilot bearing as well.

Chris, I think the noise you are talking about is probably the throwout bearing as "clutch chatter" refers to the chatter when engaging the clutch and it has a chatter effect when the disc is engaging but not quite fully engaged... this is common with "puck" style clutches, or race style

most of the chatter i experience is when the clutch isn't being "touched" at all - rumors over at CF say this is quite common with the SPEC clutches - not sure i liked that answer - and several other CF members said that's what kept them from purchasing spec - i haven't had any other problems with it, and more than likely put another one in the car if/when this one goes out.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike put the spec 3 in my car when he first put the blower on and it's still going strong after a bunch of abuse. Never chatters either. I believe the chatter is associated with the spec 3 before the "plus" came out.

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Cool.

most of the chatter i experience is when the clutch isn't being "touched" at all - rumors over at CF say this is quite common with the SPEC clutches - not sure i liked that answer - and several other CF members said that's what kept them from purchasing spec - i haven't had any other problems with it, and more than likely put another one in the car if/when this one goes out.

That sounds like a throwout bearing or pilot bearing... were they replaced when the new clutch was installed ?