NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Supercharger

Don&Patty

Thinking about saving my pennies and getting a supercharger for the Z06 the first of next year. I?ve run 6-71, 8-71 and even a 12-71 on street cars before. Have been looking at the Magnuson type of supercharger and like what I see. I have heard that the Maggie has a tendency to throw belts? Also, that they are a bit pricey? Living in the valley, what about heating problems, had a major problem with 12-71 on 454 ci engine. Intercooled vr. non- intercooled? Etc. etc., you get the picture. Any thought or comments would be appreciated.

Don't know much about SC. Had one on a Tacoma that I installed myself that was not intercooled. what a PIA, wouldn't recommand a non-intercooled charger. I'm sure some of the experts will chime in.

I am currently running an ATI-P1SC supercharger and have not had any problems with the belt. I have only lost the secondary belt for the AC once since I have owned the car. I was driving at some extream speeds when this happened. April 1st Mystery Cruise.

As for the heating problems, I have a single intercooler that is robbing air from the radiatior. So the car is running 220 - 240 in the temp operation range during the hot months. Last year I installed a Methonal injection system to help with the hot air, and it worked. I need to replace a pump to get it working again. By running methonal it brings the air temp down and helps produce more HP.

As for the Maggie, I have no expirence with them on Corvettes.

Hope this helps you.

Phil... :devil

Guest AZ Power & Sound

I'll give you the point of view from a guy that puts both on all the time!

Magnuson - great if thats ALL youre going to do... no headers, no cam etc... it will make decent power when its cooler, HOWEVER, when its hot outside like it is now, dont expect more then 40-50 rwhp over stock! They dont make ANY power in the summer because of how bad they heat soak, not to mention you cannot hot lap them at the track or give them extended abuse on road courses or street. On the dyno they are pretty pathetic and will only produce sub par results... the upside is the torque curve is pretty killer! we just did a 05 CTS-V with one of these at 6.5 PSI and with a cam and made 457 rwhp, and one with 7 PSI and a NTercooler kit and made 497 rwhp... but on another note an 05 GTO with the 6 PSI pulley dynod in the middle of the day with the heat only made 4.5 PSI and dyno'd 428 rwhp with cam... so heat can literally make a 40-60 rwhp difference on these from dynoing at night or day time.

ATI - every kit we have personally done has worked flawlessly with no belt chucking issues, cooling issues etc. We made 509 rwhp on a new C6 with just headers and exhaust, 641 rwhp on a 99 C5 with cam and blower, 608 rwhp on a GTO with cam and blower, 550 rwhp on a GTO with smaller cam and blower, and multiple low 500 rhwp GTOs with stock cam! Our goal on my personal C6 is 700 rwhp with cam and blower on 100 octane which we plan to do shortly!

My vote is for ATI as for the price you will pay for the maggie and a hood, you can get the ATI, some fuel system work and a cam done and make 600+ on 91 octane!

Oh, and non intercooled in AZ means I will be seeing you for an engine shortly :smilelol

if you want opinions on S/C cars, go to corvetteforum and look in the forced induction forum. belt shredding and slippage is an obvious problem - on ALL brands.

i say go with a TTi stage 1 twin turbo kit - that should put plenty of power for you to the wheels on your stock bottom end and. from my personal experience, i would NEVER run a supercharged car again - so if i build another car and want forced induction, twin turbos is right up my alley!

TTI doesnt make the stage 1 kit anymore. Go stage X... it will give you plenty of room to grow.