NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Adjustable Roller Rockers, Noise through the exhaust...

Cross

Alright before I did the rebuild I could hear ticking through the headers it made me nuts I always though I had an exhaust leak but could never find one.

I was really under the impression the problem was the Rockers and the Crane Gold Roller Rockers I got would fix that. However this being my first time with adjustable roller rockers I must admit I did everything to be safe. I did the lowest setting on them from the guide here:

http://www.vincihighperformance.com/LS1%20ROLLER%20ROCKER%20ADJUSTMENT%20INSTRUCTIONS.HTML

(1 and 1/2 turns)

Everything seems alright but I can still hear the same noise through the exhaust and maybe I am being paranoid but I swear I hear a tick... I guess I always look for issues for some reason.

I have an appointment to go see my local exhaust guy and make sure there are no exhaust leaks, I am hoping its an exhaust leak though as I can easily hear it through the header and under the car through the exhaust.

However either way I still hear a tick somewhere... I can only hear it in the car outside I can not seem to find it so I am not sure if I am just screwing with myself or what..... but its making me nuts. I just rebuilt the motor so I guess I am looking for anything to be wrong a little over zealously but well.... (80 miles on rebuild)

So does anyone mind giving me their thoughts on it? I was thinking about giving the Roller Rockers another 1/4 turn and see what happens. Other than that I am not sure.

Unless all my coils are bad i do not think so. I hear it from both banks granted I have to put my head down by the rail covers and its louder at the headers.

Im not a big fan of adjustable rockers on LS motors unless your going to a solid roller. Either way this is the way Ive adjusted adjustable rockers in the past.... When turning over the motor and u see the exhaust valve is JUST opening, adjust the intake valve for that cylinder. When the intake valve it JUST closing, adjust the exhaust valve for that cylinder.

You sure it's just not injector noise ? The new direct injection motors are even worse when it comes to this injector "ticking"....it makes you a little nervous hearing all that noise coming from the top end :eek

It could be... I am just not sure I was hoping to see if I could hear someone elses or get another opinion if anyone wants to come over.

Problem is I thought that too until i realized I am def hearing noise through the header which is right there too... makes it difficult to tell lol.

OK, then go teh other way...do you have some sort of sound-damening material laying around? Cover teh top of your motor (carefully), and see if that helps....

The old, classic method was to hold a wooden dowel to your ear and place the other end where you think the noise is coming from... With enough poking around, you should be able to narrow down the area that's ticking based on where it's the loudest.

I can't find my scope I keep looking for it I bought one for occasions like this and now its missing... :banghead

Use a broomstick, plunger stick, or even a piece of scrap wood typically works in a pinch.

You sure it's just not injector noise ?

The new direct injection motors are even worse when it comes to this injector "ticking"....it makes you a little nervous hearing all that noise coming from the top end :eek

that was my first thought Victor.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I spent a lot of time with my scope playing with this. I decided to go through and redo all the Rockers and make 110% Sure I had them all setup according to the guide at 1 3/4 turns. I still hear this damn tick. I found one on Cyl. 4 before I did this its gone now but Cyl, 1 & 3 I can hear it still and I do not want to tighten just them more. I am not even sure thats the issue to be honest I just wanted to check myself again trying to be safe. So I wanted to see if anyone could tell me just how noisy a lifter thats not pumping up all the way is or any other noise I might be hearing up there. I tried injectors no luck they make some noise but its not them. I am happy to take a video but these things never seem to sound the same or even are able to be heard in video's it seems.

Ok, but only since you asked:

Are you sure you ground the baffles inside the valve covers sufficiently for the rocker arms to clear? (I'm sure you thought of this)

Was there any signs of physical, cosmetic wear on the rockers which would indicate contact against the valve covers?

No wear and I thought that too but I can find no wear marks on anything. Its really not all that bad but it makes me think I have a bad lifter which of course makes me nuts...

I swear now its on cyl. 1 and 3 if not both one of them is making the noise I really think its #1 but I am not 100%. I sat there with my scope while my 5 year old worked on reving the car slightly. I can finally find the noise for sure its there but I am still not sure whats causing it. I think its on the exhaust valve side since I can hear it in the header too but whats weird is what in the world is it... I have redone those Roller Rockers so many times I am not sure its actually them.

I decided that since I did not have any Marvel I know Sea Foam is Sim and I had a can so I put 2/3 in the oil and 1/3 through the Intake via the Brake Booster... we shall see in a few days how it does I will drain the oil and switch from 10w30 to 5w30. Hopefully this takes care of the issue because this tick has pissed me off bad enough that I put the vette up for sale.

Holy crap I did not think it would work but Seafoam seems to be handling the issue this morning the tick was hardly there and you know with my OCD I was listening. Got Ty to school still faintly could hear it but hardly there, got back in the car and I could hear it damn! Left started home and reved it once or twice on the way and it was back to being quiet. So I did the real test in the garage hood up with my scope.. the noise is almost completely gone just a faint tick! Hopefully it stays but hell yes NO MORE TICK!!!

And somehow I messed up the font...

If you are running around with Seafoam in the oil I wouldn't beat on it hard. Heck, I wouldn't rev it past 3k.

I doubt it now, it was really just that tick making me nuts I could not stand driving around with it. I can still hear it from time to time but I have only put around 10 miles with the seafoam in it. I will not leave it in there long but thankfully the oil in it (Val Synth. Blend 10w30) only had around 800 miles on it as it was so it should be fine for the short amount of time I am going to run it to see if I can ensure that lifter does not start sticking again. On a side note I heard from both Crane and the gentleman who did all the testing for these Roller Rockers (See the guide I linked to originally for how to install these). It seems its alright to tighten just the #1 a little more just to not go further that 2.5 turns. Since I am at 1.75 now I will consider this if the noise does not go completely away but for now I think there is hope that it was just some gunk/assembly lube in the lifter.

Guest Sidewinder

You will be fine with Seafoam in the crankcase til the next oil change. I wouldn't worry about it. Drive the car as you normally would. If it is gunk in the lifter, hopefuly it will clean it up. Check to make sure all your spark plugs are tightened all the way. A loose one will tick like hell. Pull the plug wires off of each one and wiggle the plug with your finger. Don't rely on just checking them with the plug wire on.