Body work question?

Eddie44

Most of you know my Vette is back in the body shop. I apparently got a defective drivers door when the did the work the first time. Coming home from the Yuma "Mystery" cruise the outer skin mysteriously popped loose in a couple points on the front edge of the door. I won't admit what speed I was going but it was good I didn't meet Phil, Mark and Chris' DPS friend. Believe me when I told the body shop guy he about pooped himself.

Anyway, here's the question. The body shop says when they took the door apart it appeared as though the outer skin (the doors come as one piece glued by the factory) had been glued wrong. The glue was barely hitting the glue points. He said it was like their robot missed the spots slightly. I've never had a door apart and have not seen my old one so it just sounds funny that the robot (I assume they're glued by robotics) would miss the mark. Anyone with C5 body experience like to chime in here?

I would also add GM is covering the defective door and the body shop has given me no hassle whatsoever on getting the job corrected. I'm just curious if they're blowing smoke up my azz and they actually screwed up.

92ZR1Wannabe
I won't admit what speed I was going but it was good I didn't meet Phil, Mark and Chris' DPS friend.

Hmm please explain :D

In the mid 90's when the F-body's (firebirds&camaros) were still pretty new but just coming out of warranty we did alot of door skin reglue jobs. The glue is sqirted on by a human with a pneumatic glue gun and the robotic arm sticks it together. The glue on the F-body's were put on very sloppy with thin areas and in some areas the aim was so bad that the glue wasn't on the joint but right next to it. We used to remove the door, peel away the skin reglue it then clamp it and let it sit for 24 hrs. then repaint & reassemble. Some of the earlier C-6's have the same problem with the removable targa top. They say it's bad glue on the C-6's but I bet it's really poor wokmanship. Common problem, but at least you used a reputable bodyshop that has no problem taking care of it and billing GM. Good luck..... Joe

Guest UVETTYA
[...] but at least you used a reputable bodyshop that has no problem taking care of it and billing GM. Good luck..... Joe

Yes, and it's amazing such good business ethics still exist! "Customer service" is mostly a thing of the past. Wham-Bam-Thank-You-Mam... Oh, you have a problem with that? Sorry. NEXT!

I'll give you a plug here Joe... I was treated well at your shop when I came in for my alignment. Xtreme does me good too. (although I probably shouldn't say something like that considering Chad's "world view.") :D

Steve

Are you sure they didn't reskin your old door instead of replacing it.If they didn't use the right glue it wouldn't have held very long.

Are you sure they didn't reskin your old door instead of replacing it.If they didn't use the right glue it wouldn't have held very long.

I'm no body man but I don't think this one was able to be reskinned. Even the interior supports were broken.

Accident10-1-05009.jpg