NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

A/C troubles, shop recommendations

Guest 88JDO

Guest 88JDO

My A/C started blowing hot air. Took it in for a recharge and was told that it's charged and the blend door is stuck open. I'm guessing it's a vacuum leak because my cruise control died at the same time. Anyone have a recommendation in Mesa/Gilbert?

Guest 71airstrike

sorry I cant suggest a shop, but if this is on a C5. You may have a leeking battery that has spilled acid on your wiring harness.

pull your battery and look at the panel underneath for damage.

sorry but if the wiring harness damaged it not going to be cheap to fix

chad

Guest 88JDO

Dropped my car off at ADS this morning. They replaced vacuum lines and added a pound and a half of freon. Went to pick up the car and they noticed the A/C clutch was slipping. Got me a rental car (free) and said they would diagnose further with no charge for labor, just parts. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the referal!

Sorry to hear that your having AC issues. However, it sounds like ADS is taking care of you and doing you right for sure...Good job ADS!! Two thumbs up! :thumbs:thumbs

If all companies would offer that type of service, life would be good! :D

Guest 88JDO

Picked up the car today. New compressor. A/C blows cold. On the way home oil temp went to 240 and coolant to 230. Turned off A/C and temp went down to 220. Stopped and checked and both fans are running. Now what? Called ADS and they said bring it back and they will "go over it with a fine tooth comb". I've never seen my oil or coolant temp this high.

Picked up the car today. New compressor. A/C blows cold. On the way home oil temp went to 240 and coolant to 230. Turned off A/C and temp went down to 220. Stopped and checked and both fans are running. Now what? Called ADS and they said bring it back and they will "go over it with a fine tooth comb". I've never seen my oil or coolant temp this high.

Oil was OK, not great, but OK. Coolant was still safe, but borderline. They should flush the system clean, check the pressure, and try it again. If it can't hold at least 15-16 psi for some time, then there is a leak somewhere that needs to be addressed. If no leak, then there is an obstruction or flow issue in the system. Cooling isn't very complicated, just nerve racking and time wasting.

Good luck. That's the price we pay for living in the desert.

temps will go up. You are now putting a lot of heat in front of the radiator. Before the air was -- well, at air temp. Now it passes through the condenser first and it gets heated up a lot.

I would bet it's time for a new radiator, or to at least clean it inside and out. You didn't know about the problem before because it was borderline and now you added a little more heat to it and all the problems will start to appear. Clean the rad, make sure that the coolant and hoses are no more than 2 years old (TOPS!) and put in a 180 thermostat (no lower). Make sure the fans are working correctly. Other methods would be to add a big mouth air dam to get more air flow and then lower temp fan switches.

Jeff - that's not out of norm, really.

I would suggest cleaning between radiator and condensor - there's a lot of other posts about this on this forum. Also, if the temp is real high and you need to cool it down fast turning on the heater will get it down. (though that sucks in the summer) I don't usually panic until I see it hit 235º, but once I get moving it comes down to 2-teensº.

I have decided to take the step of a DeWitt replacement radiator, having talked with a few people who have and they are running 215º -220º with the A/C on, in traffic and 180º's on highway.

Are you the guy that stopped at the light with me on McDowell & 7th a few months back...red 89'???

Glad the A/C is fixed and you get such great service - I just got mine back too, for cosmetic surgery. :thumbs

I'd be panicing if mine went to 235*...Not to Hijack the thread, but how did your car turn out Mike? Better than new?

I'd be panicing if mine went to 235*...Not to Hijack the thread, but how did your car turn out Mike? Better than new?

It turned out nice enough to draw my attention to all the other things it needs...

I'm quite pleased, Classic did a great job and it looks better than it did before I gave her a face full of PT Cruiser. BTW, my insurance said they never heard from them, leaving messages, checking with their Gieco insurance, etc., so they are closing the file.

Now I can't wait to get the headers/exhaust and radiator. I may order that this week and I think the headers should be here anytime now. :burnout

I'd be panicing if mine went to 235*...

Tom,

In the past during the summers, when the temps go above 110, I have seen upper 220's in my 82 if I push it, just cruising it usually runs below 220, or just high enough to kick on the aux fan.

Mine has a factory stock radiator and fan setup.

Guest 88JDO

I pulled the top of the radiator shroud off and peeked between the A/C condensor and radiator. Found a 3 x 6 piece of plastic wrap. Fished it out with a tape measure. I had replaced the radiator about 4 years ago and at that time I sealed the openings around the condensor with foam weather stripping. Beats me how that plastic got between there. Going to flush the system this evening when it cools off a bit. Coolant looks dirty brown.

WOW! That's cool Mike. Glad it turned out great and now for the cool parts. let me know if you want or need help. bring it over and we'll weld you up.

Dwayne, mine never goes that high...well it did once when it overheated. I start to panic if I see the gauge hit 210* and watch it like a hawk. Now with the new stuff, it has been 185 solid.

185 is good, as long as its not still in open loop, or closed loop... I can't remember right now which one is called normal run mode... I thought it was around 190 that it kicks into normal. If it runs any cooler than that the computer will stay in cold run mode....

185 is good, as long as its not still in open loop, or closed loop... I can't remember right now which one is called normal run mode... I thought it was around 190 that it kicks into normal. If it runs any cooler than that the computer will stay in cold run mode....

I believe you're looking for "closed loop".