NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Opinions on Rebuild

Cross

Alright since my car is daily driven and well I was going to go to an LQ9 but can not find one... I figured I would just buy everything and rebuild it. My plans are as follows but I will be honest... I do not know all the tricks or "Better Options" and thought I would ask the locals. Currently the car has a few bolt ons that I am looking to add too and push the tune (Currently running E85) further. This is what I was thinking: New Rings, Rehone and Ring Stock Cleaned Pistons New Bearings Celivte (SP?) 77's New Head Gaskets Double Roller Timing Chain LS3 Oil Pump (Is this the best option?) Patriot Gold Dual Spring Valve Springs Cam (Still weighing my options but nothing to big a medium to mild cam Hardened Push Rods (I have no experience with this so some help knowing which ones to choose would be great) Crane Gold 1.7 Roller Rockers Light Weight Flywheel and Spec Clutch (LS1 Size/Style not LS7 since I want to hit SIR from time to time) New Slave Cylinder (What is the best option here as I have replaced the Master and bled it and obviously I still have issues) Remote Bleeder I believe thats it but I might be forgetting something. Most of the work I am doing myself as I said I have a few items already on the car (Milled 243's, BBK Intake and 90mmTB, 25% Underdrive Pulley, Bigger Injectors and tuned for E85, Texas Speed Headers, Exhaust, Air Intake, etc) Thanks for letting me pick the experience of those around me.

Nothing it just has over a 150k, no oil consumption besides the ring flutter but never really seems to loose much if any. I still daily drive it I just want to cam it and well at 150k... I am not sure its going to last. The heads have less than 20k if that on them since they were bought, cleaned, milled and redone. Power Goals... IDK nor care at this point I just want to have fun with it. The goal for now is nothing more than seeing what I can do with a cam and bolt ons on E85. I have to admit I would not mind upping the compression a little to get closer to 11:1 maybe even 11.5:1 but I don't think thats the right thing to do right now.

I wish I could afford it, but with Tyler, a Divorce, School, My own business thats been rather slow and a crappy part time job to make up for it... yeah I want to spend in moderation. I want to play but well.. there has to be a limit until I am done with school lol.

With over a 150k miles on the block. Unless you bore it you are tossing $$ out the window. Now you will need to add the cost of pistons and balancing the assembly.

LQ4's are way easier to find, and I think it's same block different pistons... I see them all the time on CL up here. There was a guy that had 2 LQ4's or LQ9's for sale for like 1500 bucks on one of the prerunner forums. I'll see if I can find it.

Whatever you decide to do is going to cost $. I think the first route is to find out how much you are truely willing to spend and then find out what your best options are to get the most bang for your buck. Engine Masters magazine has alot of good info on LS build ups. They also talk about certain parts working better together for optimal performance.Jerry

Its not a huge cap on spending just the resolution to not say... "well I was there so..." based on the fact this is supposed to be a fun NA for the next 2 years then I want to actually do a really nice build for boost. I just do not foresee my 150k LS1 going for another 2 years because well... I am paranoid. Thank you for checking into that I will take a good low miles LQ4 and swap the pistons no problem.

Its not a huge cap on spending just the resolution to not say... "well I was there so..." based on the fact this is supposed to be a fun NA for the next 2 years then I want to actually do a really nice build for boost. I just do not foresee my 150k LS1 going for another 2 years because well... I am paranoid. Thank you for checking into that I will take a good low miles LQ4 and swap the pistons no problem.

I bet you could get another 100k out of that motor if it wasn't beaten to death on a daily basis........ (i know its hard not too have fun with them all day every day :) )

I'm not going to sweat mine...I'll drive it til she blows then do something else. But then again, mine is only at 71k on a '99.

I decided I am being a panzy if it goes it goes and doing just rings and bearings willm never satisfy me so I am going to put in a cam, roller rockers, hardened push rods, new clutch and lightweight flywheel, slave and oil pump and just run it until it goes boom. Or just before then and swap in a LS2 or LS3 bottom end... depends but I want a lighter 6.xL Motor lol. But I started ordering all the parts maybe in the next week or two In can get started... I just wonder if its going to be easier to pull the motor to do the cam and clutch at the same time?

I decided I am being a panzy if it goes it goes and doing just rings and bearings willm never satisfy me so I am going to put in a cam, roller rockers, hardened push rods, new clutch and lightweight flywheel, slave and oil pump and just run it until it goes boom. Or just before then and swap in a LS2 or LS3 bottom end... depends but I want a lighter 6.xL Motor lol.

But I started ordering all the parts maybe in the next week or two In can get started... I just wonder if its going to be easier to pull the motor to do the cam and clutch at the same time?

From my experience, I like to pull the engine. You will have a better look at everything and will be able to clean and inspect the whole bottom end.

Put the block on an engine stand and take your time putting it back together with the correct ring gaps and bearing clearances.

Jerry