C5 headlight pop up problem

1jester

1 of my headlights is intermittently not popping up. do they have separate grounds? Or is it the gear failure? where do I get it fixed? Thanks

Guest badbobs95

I know it's not that close for you but Felix @ Corvette Authority in Mesa can fix whatever is wrong with it. 480 313-2969

He is by Country Club and Broadway. He's honest and very good. Like me Posted ImagePosted Image

Do you hear the motor spinning when it's not moving? Chances are that it's a gear issue, as it's so common.

Get the bronze gears, someone here was real good at the DIY repair but I can't remember who it was. Hopefully they'll chime in. :ACE:

listen for the gears spinning but I'm betting its the contacts in the turn signal switch, aka the multi-function switch. That's what I'm dealing with, just not wanting to part with the 150 bucks at the moment. Try this.....go into the DIC settings and turn the twilight function on. That is, let the light level and the computer turn the lights on. If the lights flip up without a problem then its the switch

Guest racingchester

Hey Jim...Get on the big board for the multi switch problem...There is one on there that has a pictorial...Pulled mine out and cleaned contacts and reset the tension on them...works great. All it costs you is time to do it..

If it's the gears, someone told me that the oem gears were made out of soft material to be the weakest point so it could fail thus protecting other head light parts from breakage.

Hey Jim...Get on the big board for the multi switch problem...There is one on there that has a pictorial...Pulled mine out and cleaned contacts and reset the tension on them...works great. All it costs you is time to do it..

Glanced at that, maybe. Nothing beats the tight feel of a new piece......

Thanks for the info. Althoufh my light problems only happens once in a while ill try to use the twilight. Feature. I've kept my twilight feature off just for that reason so but I would not wear out my head light gears. Thanks guys

Thanks for the info. Althoufh my light problems only happens once in a while ill try to use the twilight. Feature. I've kept my twilight feature off just for that reason so but I would not wear out my head light gears. Thanks guys

Same here Mike. I'd just turn on the twilight for a few days to check the operation then go back to manual

Interesting I have had the same problem this year and last. I had thought it had to do with the heat because it has done it around the same time each year. Here is what I have figured out and not conclusively but hear me out, and it's only when the car in the garage when it about 120+ degrees. Everytime it's happened it's been at around 7:30 pm when I go to pick up my boy from footabll. So what I did was retract the headlights, pop the hood and try them again and they would the both pop up, every single time. I think it is something to do with expansion from the heat. Maybe the hood of the car shifted and is causing some resitance on the head light. But everytime I pop the hood it then works.

Maybe you should also pop the hood on the freeway when you want to turn your lights on.lol