need help with tuning a '91 ...

mistaben

This is a bit of a repost from my introduction but: '91 black, convertible.... i bought it 7 years ago - started to do a motor rebuild, and I had to put it on blocks. that was when I was 19? - about 7 years ago or so.... now I am trying to finish off this motor build. I called John at FIC injectors and he said a set of 30lb Bosch 3's ought to be about right. so those are coming... and I have bought some tuning tools to finish off this project. the APU1 pcm emulator/datalogger/burner, a GP1 chip adapter, and some spare PCM's. trying to finish off this tune... hopefully the tools will come middle of this week. should be able to tune it as I drive it using the pcm emulator program from tuner pro RT. if anyone knows how to do this or has tuned a '91 before and is willing to give me some advice I would love to hear it, or knows of a local shop I could go to and ask I would be indebted. I am a bit clueless on how to do this or what all is involved in tuning in general. 383 AFR190cc SR 74219 cam 1.6rr 30lb Bosch 3's Borla - but no headers or anything...

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but after my build was complete I wanted to have my car tuned on a loaded dyno to correct some driveability problems and get the best performance out of the LS3 Hot Cam as I could without hurting the engine. My engine now is controlled by a GM E67 computer which is the same computer that is in the CTSV caddy. My '92 computer is still in use but it does not control the engine. For my tune I found the best shop to be Dyno Comp on east Raintree in Scottsdale. Their number is 480-596-0500. They mostly tune BMWs and other high end sports cars but they have a loaded dyno and can therefore tune the car on the dyno at all speeds instead of tuning while driving. Not cheap, but effective. If you don't mind spending some bread to get a great tune, I'd call them and see if they would be interested in tuning your '91 as modified. They added approximately 75 hp to my engine and I no longer have any driveability issues, only driver issues. Good luck!

92ZR1Wannabe

TPIS in Scottsdale tunes the snot out of these older cars. You may want to start there for some information. I had them on the hook for a full dyno tune on my 355 LT1. Their quoted rate was something like $450 Bucks for dyno time / tune. If you don't have alot of experience tuning (which I don't) I would suggest letting a professional to the initial tune. Once thats done you can look at what was done for your combo and compare it to what the original factory tune was and start getting the idea of what needs to be done in the future.

Guest badbobs95

Hang in there Tony, you'll git er done! Posted Image Larry knows what he's sayin. He's spent over $200.00 on his new engine! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hang in there Tony, you'll git er done! Posted Image Larry knows what he's sayin. He's spent over $200.00 on his new engine! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

who is larry?

as an FYI this is a copy/paste from another thread I just posted tonight:

Originally Posted by esham:

"What did you have to do to make it work?"

My response:

for a '91....

a) i needed a GP1 adapter...

b) some spare (1) 27sf512 chips to burn and reflash...

c) discover said chips are fake knock offs that moates knew about and still sent out, used said chips anyways...

d) an HDR1 connector to get original programming off of the memcal...

e) an APU1 emulator/reader/writer...

for aldl reading - inside software issues of tunerprortv5 I had to

a) get the super_8dm2.xdf file

b) 1227730_8d.adx file

c) these were converted over from the:

super_8dm2.ecu file...

1227730_8d.ads file...

d) i had to modify the ADX file...

under: Acquisition, expand commands cross, select mode 1 aldl dump request, change Body Size (Dec) to 67 (from 66).

e) in tools, preferences, data acquisition/eumlation, change: "configure plug-in componet", from serial data acquisition to shared with emulator.

f) tools, start/stop data scan. (it may have auto-connected on it's own anyways at the point in time i changed the preferences options...)

this got me to reading with aldl cable on the apu1 I did not attempt to record the log file yet, but it did give me access to realtime updates thought the aldl cable.

for aldl reading and logging - under tunerprortv4

A) same crap... need a .xdf file, and an .ads file, BUT - it has to be a tunerprortv4 file. (however there is no need to convert)

B) i had to change under preferences, aldl/emulation, from MAX232 to autoprom.

C) tools, to ALDL logging, setup, then there is a select log file option (though there wasn't a create log file option...)

D) click the: select log file, create: a new log file.

E) open the new log file you created and start recording the log file in that. (you will get an error if you just try to hit record as it wont know where your recording too nor have a loaded log file)

for reading, erasing or burning,

under either tunerprort v5 or v4,

a) tools, moates PROM/IO option, put in blank chip into zif socket on apu1.

b) read chip. save buffer to file..

c) load buffer file under, file, to open .bin file.

d) edit said .bin file.

e) save said .bin file.

f) tools, moates PROM/IO option, load file to buffer, select said .bin file, erase chip, program chip, verify chip w/ buffer

e) place chip in GP1 adapater

f) figure out which end is up

g) stick memcal onto GP1 adapter

h) stick adapter into car

i) f*cking panic and pray motor doesn't blow up

j) turn key, start engine.

to read stock memcal see, options about reading chip inside moates utility.

a) use the HDR1 adapter to read the .bin file off the stock memcal.

b) spend 5 hours figuring out above said options, figuring out which end is up, and which ways to have the little buttons at the back of the APU1 set when doing the above said steps.

(note: you cannot reprogram the stock memcal either, i tried... several times... on accident, lol.)

now ... if anyone has any .bin files of a 383/SR/219cam/AFR190cc heads/stock exhaust.... i would be indebted... I really don't want to do this by hand, I am smart, but not smart enough to master Excel. I never could figure out how to master the macro commands to auto sort cut paste countif average functions and graph and autocalc an adjustment value for my VE tables.. if anyone has any .bin files I could look at I would indebted. also, I don't really understand the spark advance tables/curves, or EGR stuff. if anyone has any links to explain what these options do i would appreciate it. I know this forum is covered constantly with PROFESSIONAL tuners... so they have to have some old .bin files or explanation links sitting around I could read on the stuff like EGR and how it works/why it works when. so I know when to cut it or leave it in for like emissions etc... :)

Guest badbobs95

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but after my build was complete I wanted to have my car tuned on a loaded dyno to correct some driveability problems and get the best performance out of the LS3 Hot Cam as I could without hurting the engine. My engine now is controlled by a GM E67 computer which is the same computer that is in the CTSV caddy. My '92 computer is still in use but it does not control the engine. For my tune I found the best shop to be Dyno Comp on east Raintree in Scottsdale. Their number is 480-596-0500. They mostly tune BMWs and other high end sports cars but they have a loaded dyno and can therefore tune the car on the dyno at all speeds instead of tuning while driving. Not cheap, but effective. If you don't mind spending some bread to get a great tune, I'd call them and see if they would be interested in tuning your '91 as modified. They added approximately 75 hp to my engine and I no longer have any driveability issues, only driver issues. Good luck!

This is Larry! As if he needed 75 more HP Posted ImageI think he's up to around 600 by now Posted Image

This is Larry! As if he needed 75 more HP Posted ImageI think he's up to around 600 by now Posted Image

600? - holy crap.... wow.

these LS series engines are a different animal completely .... I keep hearing everyone with an LS engine running 500-700hp... i would be happy if mine got 370-400 when I am finished... I haven't even touched the exhaust yet... and this sh*t is getting expensive... really expensive.

what does it cost to mod these LS engines? has to be cheaper than the L98's and LT1's for the same HP?