Acceptable Oil Temps?

Mister M

I am new to the vette scene, I just picked up my 2003 Millenium Yellow Z06 this weekend. On my drive home from picking up the car, my oil temp averaged 228. Now when Im cruising around Phoenix, I've seen the temp get as high as 235. To me this seems pretty high but I wanted to know from other owners what temps I should expect to see in the summer weather.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike...I don't know about the temp ranges that are ok for a C5, but if that was a C3 car..."Shut her down fast or get it cooled off quick"! :ack That would be much too high for a C3. I'm sure one of the C5 guys here can help you out with the info you need. Good luck and watch that temp gauge.

I am new to the vette scene, I just picked up my 2003 Millenium Yellow Z06 this weekend.  On my drive home from picking up the car, my oil temp averaged 228.  Now when Im cruising around Phoenix, I've seen the temp get as high as 235.  To me this seems pretty high but I wanted to know from other owners what temps I should expect to see in the summer weather.

Researched this a little on CF and those temps seem to be normal. I've seen mine also in that neighborhood. :thumbs

Guest XLR8TNC5
I am new to the vette scene, I just picked up my 2003 Millenium Yellow Z06 this weekend.  On my drive home from picking up the car, my oil temp averaged 228.  Now when Im cruising around Phoenix, I've seen the temp get as high as 235.  To me this seems pretty high but I wanted to know from other owners what temps I should expect to see in the summer weather.

Researched this a little on CF and those temps seem to be normal. I've seen mine also in that neighborhood. :thumbs

:withstupid The day of our ACE Photo Shoot at the stadium, my oil temps were right at 235-240....

Tanya

Yup perfectly normal. Hauling ass up Mingus, I'll see 250. Normal cool weather cruising temps are in the 192's. This time of year I see 200-230 on a regular basis. Why you want a good quality oil in there.

Water temp stays 195-205 normal cruising, 200-225 stuck in traffic.

HOLY COW!! Are you guys serious? In a C3, I would be freakin' out. I start to get nervous when the gauge goes over 200. A C3 would be ready to do a melt down at those temps...250?? I would never have thought that they run that hot. Nice info for the future though. :thumbs

OH DOH!! :cone I just saw that it was OIL TEMP and NOT WATER TEMP! MY BAD!!!Phew...had me worried for a minute about the temps. I must have been sniffin' too much cleaner in the garage. :D

cool thanks.. I was just wondering if that was normal. Especally since its already 110 outside!! :ack

Thats why Mobil 1 is the factory fill, so the C5 doesn't need an oil cooler.

couldn't it benefit from an oil cooler though? (don't want to veer to far off topic, but his question had been answered already)

what about some of the other synthetics - like royal purple????

From what I see/hear, water temps and oil PRESSURE are much more critical. If oil temps were to be a problem, all cars would have oil temp guages. I see this with the Harley's too. The bikes don't come with oil temp guages but can be purchased and installed. After folks buy them they start worrying about their oil temp being too high...find that interesting. Solution is, take out the oil temp guage you just purchased. I understand racing applications would be different. The cars and motorcycles are all tested extensively in a desert environment as we all know.

Guest 1FASTC4

mister M congrats on getting your vette! Actually, oil temps in that range are GOOD for the car. I've been told that at that temp any byproduct of ignition suspended in the oil is being burned off, and that prevents unnecessary wear on the engine.

I agree with all that is being said... On my TT I get oil temps as high as 245-253 in the summer when I am beating on it... No worries

F22trainer

That's about what my C4 says...I am planing to put on an oil cooloer anyway.

FYI - our training aircraft redline the oil temp at 245º and during the summer it gets pretty close to that on long climbs. :thumbs

92ZR1Wannabe
That's about what my C4 says...I am planing to put on an oil cooloer anyway.

FYI - our training aircraft redline the oil temp at 245º and during the summer it gets pretty close to that on long climbs. :thumbs

I thought i read someplace once upon a time that up till 1991 the vettes had a remote oil cooler on them already. In 92 with the introduction of the LT1 , the dropped the cooler and started using synthetic oil. Which was designed to run in a hotter temp range with no problems.

92ZR1Wannabe

Did a little research.

Oil coolers were a option. It would show up at KC4 (1991) on your options tag under the center counsel door.

F22trainer
Did a little research.

Oil coolers were a option. It would show up at KC4 (1991) on your options tag under the center counsel door.

:thumbs

did that when I got it...I checked all the codes and colors before I bought it, just to see if anything had been deleted or broken / not fixed. It is just a base model all the way - which was a plus in my book - less stuff to break or fail - but was surprised to find it had the upgrade suspension package. Other than that, I think the A/C was the only option on the sheet.

92ZR1Wannabe

Heh mine has all the weird crap like heated mirrors and rear window defrost. (Never been registered out of the state of AZ) Along with the 6 million way adjustable sport seats that like to break.

Your soooo right on the "Less options = less to break"

F22trainer
Heh mine has all the weird crap like heated mirrors and rear window defrost. (Never been registered out of the state of AZ) Along with the 6 million way adjustable sport seats that like to break.

Your soooo right on the "Less options = less to break"

Retractable gear are great - as long as they work. :D

Guest chad@xtreme

We like to see oil temps over 200 degrees. This is to burn off any water/condensation that is in the oil pan.

Chad