NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

The slippery slope from resto to modified

chevy69

I posted this over in the CF but thought I would share my thoughts here as well :D

At this point I'm 9+ months into my "restoration" on my '69 350HP SB 4spd coupe. Maybe it's from hanging out here, but the more I progress, the more I get away from a restoration and towards a modified car.

Although I started with a numbers matching car and had the original motor rebuilt, it must have started with the cam and piston upgrade. I mean c'mon it's inside the motor, nobody will notice right?

The powder coated frame was alright, wasn't it? It's still black :) The stainless brake and fuel lines I've ordered? no rust worries there in the future - it'll just always look new, right?

Now, I've adopted the "if it's bolted on I can do it and keep the old parts around" phase, and have added: Steeroids kit, TRW composite spring, Koni adjustables, HEI ignition, poly bushings for susp, poly body mounts, hooker super comps/side pipes, Max flows, super struts, Steel braided brake lines, etc.. etc... etc... :D

When does it end? :eek

DSC01841.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

Guest intmd8r
Now, I've adopted the "if it's bolted on I can do it and keep the old parts around" phase

I LOVE that phase! :smilelol

Thanks guys - it's a lot of fun bolting on all these new parts now that most of the "tear down" is behind me. Now if I can just keep the garage cool enough to spend more time out there :D

Build it your way, part of the fun.

Right now I'm just replacing the urgent parts on my 72 (brakes). Then plan on driving it for another couple years, then do a full body off resto. Just so dang fun to drive around, I'll need another old car to drive while I restore my 72. My look at a Camero this time.

Right now I'm just replacing the urgent parts on my 72 (brakes). Then plan on driving it for another couple years, then do a full body off resto.  Just so dang fun to drive around, I'll need another old car to drive while I restore my 72.  My look at a Camero this time.

Are you the guy that bought the blue car out of the for sale section here last year? Looked like a great buy and a nice car! I see a blue '72 running around from time to time over near Polar Ice at Ray and 10, and on Chandler near Kyrene. Is that you? We should compare notes someday - I'm jealous when I see cars on the road cause I still have a long way to go :D

Phoenix FRC

That exhaust system rocks...

You are having soo much fun..

Personally then one thing I don't like is body work but your so far into that project that you may as well do the body work too.

Thanks for sharing those amazing pics.

Thomas

That exhaust system rocks...

You are having soo much fun..

Personally then one thing I don't like is body work but your so far into that project that you may as well do the body work too.

Thanks for sharing those amazing pics.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas, yeah bodywork is a pain but I kind of like doing it. There was no way I was going to build this car w/o the hooker sidepipes. It was a must have for me :D

Desertdawg

I say do it the way you want, don't let anyone else tell you what you like...

If we ever get another vette (for the wife) I just might make my CE something special.... A vert always seemed a cool way to seperate it from the pack. :D

Thanks guys, I'm definately building this my way. I doubt the paint will be the original fathom green either - I'm leaning towards Lemans blue. I still have some parts to order yet like a Dewitts direct fit radiator. I wish I could pop for the Keisler 5 spd right now, it would be so easy with the frame like it is now, but at $3K it might have to wait :D

Guest 71airstrike
I wish I could pop for the Keisler 5 spd right now, it would be so easy with the frame like it is now, but at $3K it might have to wait :D

I can say from experience (while the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE, and BUSINESS PRACTICE ever) it was the best mod I have ever done. It will put a smile on your face everytime.

This was my second favorite

This click could cost you money

cheers

chad

I hear you - maybe I'll find a way to go for it and get the Keisler. Are they really that difficult to deal with? The Hydrobooster sounds nice too!

Right now I'm just replacing the urgent parts on my 72 (brakes). Then plan on driving it for another couple years, then do a full body off resto.  Just so dang fun to drive around, I'll need another old car to drive while I restore my 72.  My look at a Camero this time.

Are you the guy that bought the blue car out of the for sale section here last year? Looked like a great buy and a nice car! I see a blue '72 running around from time to time over near Polar Ice at Ray and 10, and on Chandler near Kyrene. Is that you? We should compare notes someday - I'm jealous when I see cars on the road cause I still have a long way to go :D

Yeah, I bought the car in the for sale section, but I live in Camp Verde and the car is on jack stands right now.

Put about 500 mile on it before I started doing some work to it. Suspension bushings, new brake calipers, rotors, wheel bearings, composite spring in the rear, new coil springs, sway bar kit (front/rear), hoses, radiator, plugs/wires, and new tires. Motor and tranny run like a top after I added new carb and the ride really is not as bad as I thought it would be, especially with the new tires. What a blast driving that thing to work with the sidepipes :devil Of course it is all show and no go :D

My dad is coming in two weeks, should be able to crank out the last of it and get it back on the road. He's an awesome mechanic. Interior still needs some TLC though and the paint is a 10 footer. But for 6k, I think it was a really good deal, already put a ton of smiles on my face.

Once he retires (5 years or so) I plan on doing a body off with him. He's also decent car painter as well. With his expertise, I know we could crank it out in no time at all.

I think you got a great deal on that car. I probably would have tried to buy that one had I known about it/timing/etc... Good luck with it!!!

Well I continue to slide down that slope. I went ahead and ordered the Keisler TKO-600 5 spd. today. I guess it's only money, right? :eek

I know I won't regret it when I'm cruising the hwys :cool

Here is what I ordered - they knocked some off as well ;)

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transmission...vette_68-82.asp

Desertdawg

Tom,

Bryan put in the hydroboost brakes and said it was a night and day difference in how it stopped. Maybe he will chime in here with more info about the swap for you.