NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Flashback to the 70's

MOTV8

Searching for some random Corvette factoid led me to this on DC, prepare to be transported back in time...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The original owner/builder was trying to track it down and posted some info on his lost '72 custom:

"Just wondered if anyone owned or has seen this 1972 around anywhere? It was my first Vette that I custom built nearly 40 years ago - just wondered if it was still alive somewhere?"

"...that was a Hone-Overdrive unit from Motion Performance in New York - basically of a second transmission that I mounted behind the John McDowell Racing Automatic. After going through the 4:11 ratio gears, it would switch to a 2:87 ratio... so you had both the acceleration and top end speed.

This car had LOTS of extras which at the time as far as I know were unique back then. The Plexiglass inserts in the tops I had never seen done up until that time and they hinged on the center T-bar and would open and close hydraulically with the doors. I saw that done in the Cleopatra Jones movie a couple years later!

Engine was a 454-550HP custom built from the ground up by me with just about everything you could throw at it back then - Heavy-Duty EVERYTHING. I polished, CC'ed and Blueprinted everything. 13.75:1 compression ratio and the only thing sent out was the crank which was balanced by Chaparral Racing (here in town).

Pictures do not do the paint justice. Black basecoat, Black & Gold MetalFlake, 32 coats of Epoxy Enamel Clear - 32 lbs of paint!

Car was 1-foot longer than stock, 8" wider and lower. Hand-made front end and fender flares, 3-piece spoiler adapted from a Camaro, Additional sequential taillights added, even had dual louvers below the rear bumpers like the C5s came with later from the factory. Rear deck was Tigershark from Motion Performance as well as the raised hood. Front sequential turn signals were from a 1973 Grand Am. Also had large landing lights in front grill area. Rear bumpers had the vertical drops removed and were Gold plated as were various other metal parts in addition to 24-kt Gold leafing in areas.

All of the interior I stitched up using a Dinero Pattern Naugahide. Even had Quadraphonic Stereo - at the time a big deal, but short lived. Stewart Warner Stage III Gauges. The list goes on...

I do know that I sold this car to a car dealer in Lubbock and I heard they left it out on the lot the first night and that it got stripped clean of all the "gold" pieces? About 10 years later I got a call from someone in El PAso Texas who said he was the owner of the car and had tracked me down as the original owner and was asking what I had done to various things like the engine. He said it still ran like nothing he had ever driven and that the paint looked new - that was the last I ever heard?"

Texans.

Still Classic Glass or :facepalm: ?

Well it don't look near as bad as the Corvette Summer movie car, kinda unique and teh chick Is hot!

Well it don't look near as bad as the Corvette Summer movie car, kinda unique and teh chick Is hot!

something tells me she has a big bush too

..in her font yard that is.

Posted Image

With that compression I would bet it was hard to start when it was hot in the days before the toys we have now. I know my '64 Malibu with the L-88 ..I got 3 tries ..after that forget it, the battery was done. Push start or no start :) And that was after I rewound the starter usin tricks I learned rewinding slot car motors :) -Frank

something tells me she has a big bush too

..in her font yard that is.

Posted Image

:facepalm:

Bromley's Corvettes

Man that thing was way pimped out be four pimped out was even a word lol. :smilelol

Phill's Vette

Man that thing was way pimped out be four pimped out was even a word lol. :smilelol

No, I think Huggy Bear was the first to use it in the 70's.....:rockon2:

Posted Image