NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Free mods list.

Phoenix FRC

Phoenix FRC

So I'm a rookie to the Vette because I just found out that the C5 can be lowered 0.75" to 1.00' for free.

What are the free mods that come to mind?

C5 free mods:

Lowering = free down to 1".

MAF screen removal

What else? If we put our heads together or know of a good reference on CF then maybe some of us can knock out a few free mods. :D

Thanks,

Later!

Stupid question...but MAF screen removal?

What does that get you?

I have heard rumors that the MAF screen is there to prevent rapid fluctuations in the MAF sensor readings...which would not be a good thing.

Phoenix FRC

The guy that tuned my Vette said get it out of there!

It's suposed to be worth 3 or 4 HP....

I removed it on my Pontiac too, the MAF sensor is accurate enough, it doesn't need a screen.

I would have to admitt tha the screen will keep you from swaoolwing anything like a nut or bolt thou- I know a guy that had the alky injection spray nozzle get sucked into the supercharger and the SC schredded it the a chunk of the brass nozzle got stuck inthe exhaust valve, the valve was stuck open.

We tore that car down and rebuilt it and it only had 14k miles on it. :eek

Desertdawg

I know if my fat butt lost 100 pounds my vette would be faster.

But I don't think you can list this as a free mod. because technically I would go faster and have MORE money in my wallet from buying less food... :leaving

... the MAF sensor is accurate enough, it doesn't need a screen.

The more the MAF sensor is accurate, the more pronounced the problem will be.

Turbulence in the intake air stream will cause fluctuations in the sensor.

If you retune to correct the 'issue', you're probably tuning out the sensor's effect.

As for them removing it later on, the only way that comparison would be apples to apples would be if they used the same MAF sensor, on the same intake ducting, with the same ECM.

Does anyone have any proof that removal gets you 3-4 hp?

Sorry for the hijack. :)

... the MAF sensor is accurate enough, it doesn't need a screen.

The more the MAF sensor is accurate, the more pronounced the problem will be.

Turbulence in the intake air stream will cause fluctuations in the sensor.

If you retune to correct the 'issue', you're probably tuning out the sensor's effect.

As for them removing it later on, the only way that comparison would be apples to apples would be if they used the same MAF sensor, on the same intake ducting, with the same ECM.

Does anyone have any proof that removal gets you 3-4 hp?

Sorry for the hijack. :)

thus the reason for speed density tunes - it totally eliminates the need for a MAF - i don't know any more than that.

another "freebie" isn't really free - but VERY CHEAP - throttle body coolant bypass (i'm pretty sure the C5s have this, as i remember sidewinder talking about the part he got at home depot for Tanya's C5 (or was it his AE?oh i don't know!)

but it helps keep the warm temp water from going through the TB thus increasing the temp of the inlet air!

hmmm, what else did we do to the C4s......i think that pretty much sums it up

***EDIT***

took this directly from the C4 FAQ thread on CF

Performance Mods that Don't Work

This is a short list of things that don't work... and could waste your hard earned money!

* Air foil

* Relocating IAT

* Throttle switch

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Stupid question...but MAF screen removal?

What does that get you?

I have heard rumors that the MAF screen is there to prevent rapid fluctuations in the MAF sensor readings...which would not be a good thing.

coming from someone who has done quite a few back to back dynos...

it does typically get you 7-9 rwhp HOWEVER....

and I say HOWEVER

on some vehicles with higher timing from the factory or leaner conditions this WILL cause massive detonation, lean the car out further etc...

but on the same note we watched a pig rich low timing GTO pick up over 15 rwhp doing this...

My advise is dont do it unless youre ready for the consequences, which are typically fork over money for tuning or buying a new MAF with a screen as they dont sell them separately!

That being said, your car was tuned by Nic, so pull yours out because if needed he will adjust it for you :)