NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

where to start

jmartin

anyone with a c6 done any mods yet? I ready to start by dont know where to begin and there doesnt seem to be a whole lot out there yet. But I definitely have to push it over the 500 mark. I was thinking of the long tube headers first but not shure if the 1 7/8 or the 1 3/4. I like to do what work I can but with out a lift it becomes a challenge and after the first oil change and finding the moron in my drivers seat with his greasy rubber gloves still on from the last oil change I nearly ripped him out of the car myself. (last time I go to a mobil 1 change station)! So Im a little uneasy about letting others touch my baby. Can you blame me? :mad

In my opinion replacing the intake made the largest difference in the feel of my C5. I would definitely suggest long tubes and an aftermarket exhaust. When I get ready to do the headers Mike at AZ Power and Sound will most likely do them. The money is well spent when you calculate the cussing and swearing you'll do trying to install them yourself. It can be a diy but it's tough w/o a lift.

Talk to Mike at AZ Power & Sound and check out his C6.

He already has modified his Black C6 and can inform you what is out there.

Phil... :devil

If your looking for 500rwhp, it's going to take at least H/C, intake, and full exhaust and even then you will be a little short of 500rwhp. Give Mike at AZPS a call. I believe his C6 with cam and exhaust put donw 45X or so. Not bad numbers at all for no head work!

Tony

Guest chad@xtreme

I would highly recommend the 1 7/8 LT headers with high flow cats and x-pipe. You could go the heads and cam route or ATI Procharger. We have installed a few ATI's on C6s with exhaust and made over 500 rwhp.

Chad

I would highly recommend the 1 7/8 LT headers with high flow cats and x-pipe. You could go the heads and cam route or ATI Procharger. We have installed a few ATI's on C6s with exhaust and made over 500 rwhp.

Chad

ATI ....cough, cough.....SUCKS! cough, cough!

go H/C and exhaust - if you want/need more power after that, put on a nitrous kit (50-75 shot would put your over your mark and would be extremely safe on your motor)

if you want balls to the walls power - then go TT

if you plan on supercharger - stay away from ATI - they are teh suck! :leaving

Chad

go H/C and exhaust - if you want/need more power after that, put on a nitrous kit (50-75 shot would put your over your mark and would be extremely safe on your motor)

Just because you bought a lemon set up, do not say they all are no good.

I have had no problems with my ATI Procharger.

I do agree they suck air to make you faster then the next guy. :smilelol:smilelol

Chad

I do agree they suck air to make you faster then the next guy. :smilelol:smilelol

technically you do NOT have an ATI setup - you have an A&A setup - BIG DIFFERENCE

and i'm not so sure it was a lemon setup - but i'm not getting into that - consider it a lesson learned on my part!

Phoenix FRC

Chad

technically you do NOT have an ATI setup - you have an A&A setup - BIG DIFFERENCE

and i'm not so sure it was a lemon setup - but i'm not getting into that - consider it a lesson learned on my part!

Wow... I can appreciate you taking the high road on this one, only a gentleman would take responsibility and move along. :cool

I've been thinking the same thing, save the 5-k $$$$$ and just stick with what you have, the engine already has heads/cam, so just modify the heads and cam and play it safe.

i too have sunk thousands into an engine and it puked 10 miles down the road. whenever you modify the engine, you are putting your investments at risk.

Just sign the waiver. :yesnod

Guest chad@xtreme

Well since he was asking for headers first, that is why I recommened a centrifugal blower. If it is an ATI or A&A, the head unit is the same. We have a C5 Z06 that is making 500 rwhp with Kooks LTs and the Stage II ATI kit. I would highly recommend a Twin Turbo kit and we are offering a great deal on a TT kit.

Togo-- I can not help that you did not get good service from you A&A kit with an ATI head unit.

Chad

• 3 weeks later...
anyone with a c6 done any mods yet? I ready to start by dont know where to begin and there doesnt seem to be a whole lot out there yet. But I definitely have to push it over the 500 mark. I was thinking of the long tube headers first but not shure if the 1 7/8 or the 1 3/4. I like to do what work I can but with out a lift it becomes a challenge and after the first oil change and finding the moron in my drivers seat with his greasy rubber gloves still on from the last oil change I nearly ripped him out of the car myself. (last time I go to a mobil 1 change station)! So Im a little uneasy about letting others touch my baby. Can you blame me? :mad

How much do you want / need / are willing to spend overall?; and how much do you want to spend right now is the first question.

Second is, do you want to go faster in a straight line or around corners?

When we know how much you have to spend, you can get better advice! :yesnod

Mikes car put down 455 at the wheels with the following mods.....

LG Longtubes

AZPS04 cam

Fast 90

Haltech intake

custom AZPS exhaust

If the funds allow, Id go with an ATI kit. We have had nothing but good results from our procharged cars. Not too long ago I did a C6 with LG longtubes and a D1SC procharger. Made 508 at the wheels and the driveability was great.

If going FI is not in your budjet, go with one of our cam packages.

Oh, and is this a 6-speed or auto?

LG Longtubes

AZPS04 cam

Fast 90

Haltech intake

custom AZPS exhaust

If the funds allow, Id go with an ATI kit. We have had nothing but good results from our procharged cars. Not too long ago I did a C6 with LG longtubes and a D1SC procharger. Made 508 at the wheels and the driveability was great.

seems like 508 is a little light on the C6 power wise - Drews car is putting down 600 with a D1 and it's only a stock bottom end LS1 - not an LS2 - that C6 SHOULD be putting down at least that if not more.

what cubic inch is the LS2? isn't that a 6 liter?

i think i'm the only one on this forum with experience with a 6 liter and a supercharger - correct?

they have TOO MUCH TORQUE and belt slippage/shredding WILL be an issue - and trust me, there is NOTHING worse than an unreliable car - especially a C6!

no one can guarantee you absolute reliability on that setup - if they could have, i would still have the D1 on my car!

LG Longtubes

AZPS04 cam

Fast 90

Haltech intake

custom AZPS exhaust

seems like 508 is a little light on the C6 power wise - Drews car is putting down 600 with a D1 and it's only a stock bottom end LS1 - not an LS2 - that C6 SHOULD be putting down at least that if not more.

i think i'm the only one on this forum with experience with a 6 liter and a supercharger - correct?

they have TOO MUCH TORQUE and belt slippage/shredding WILL be an issue - and trust me, there is NOTHING worse than an unreliable car - especially a C6!

no one can guarantee you absolute reliability on that setup - if they could have, i would still have the D1 on my car!

The C6 was bone stock with headers and only making about 6 psi. Drews car on the other hand has headers, our big blower cam, and its an LS1 (lower compression), allowing us to run more boost thus making more power. His car has been on the road for about 6 months now since we have done all the work and he is yet to shread a belt. The C6 was given a VERY conservative tune and has had no problems. I guess it all depends on who does the work :D

If you were following this thread ealier and were wondering what happened to a few of the posts, they were deleted at the request of the poster.

Now back to topic.

LG Longtubes

AZPS04 cam

Fast 90

Haltech intake

custom AZPS exhaust

The C6 was bone stock with headers and only making about 6 psi. Drews car on the other hand has headers, our big blower cam, and its an LS1 (lower compression), allowing us to run more boost thus making more power. His car has been on the road for about 6 months now since we have done all the work and he is yet to shread a belt. The C6 was given a VERY conservative tune and has had no problems. I guess it all depends on who does the work :D

oh crap - i forgot about the cam!

i DO have one question - isn't it safe to say that a cam, supercharger, turbos, or nitrous will void the manufacturers warranty? (and a simple yes or no will do, not the fact that a GM certified shop could work around that - if it were even possible)

Guest chad@xtreme

Hmm... well I would say, YES, that a cam install would void the warranty from a GM dealer.

Chad

Hmm... well I would say, YES, that a cam install would void the warranty from a GM dealer.

Chad

just wanted to put that out there

as we all know - sometimes cars break down in the worst of places - and if out of state - the only option MAY be taking it to the "stealership"

Guest AZ Power & Sound

LG Longtubes

AZPS04 cam

Fast 90

Haltech intake

custom AZPS exhaust

oh crap - i forgot about the cam!

i DO have one question - isn't it safe to say that a cam, supercharger, turbos, or nitrous will void the manufacturers warranty? (and a simple yes or no will do, not the fact that a GM certified shop could work around that - if it were even possible)

There are some loopholes with that, like for instance we have some relationships with cadillac on a lot of the supercharged / cammed or nitrous CTS-Vs we do... they look the other way on a lot of the repairs unless GM comes out to inspect, at that time they can only do so much. GM dealerships seem to be less lenient mainly because of the employees and either being lazy, or not educated enough on the situation to work around it. Ive had to go to GM 3 times already on my car and show the techs how to fix parts on it, even things as simple as an alternator they just did not know how to diagnose... pretty rediculous if you ask me!

Ive had to go to GM 3 times already on my car and show the techs how to fix parts on it, even things as simple as an alternator they just did not know how to diagnose... pretty rediculous if you ask me!

and they charge how much for that kind of stupidity? :cuss

Guest AZ Power & Sound
Ive had to go to GM 3 times already on my car and show the techs how to fix parts on it, even things as simple as an alternator they just did not know how to diagnose... pretty rediculous if you ask me!

its all warranty, but they had the car for 4 days to do a 1 hour job... however I guess 3 of the days they spent running around trying to diagnose the issue, then I came by with my laptop and within 2 minutes had the shop foreman agreeing and replacing the alternator :) then the next day they were just supposed to fix a factory sub that went out... they said they cant find an issue and to bring it back in a few weeks and they will look again... so again here I go with my own testing and diagnostic to which the amp needed to be replaced... they ordered one in, I put it in myself in the parking lot and let the tech get paid, and bam... it was fixed :) 3rd time was to try and fix my paint they screwed up... after they made it worse I ended up paying a guy to fix it

its all warranty, but they had the car for 4 days to do a 1 hour job... however I guess 3 of the days they spent running around trying to diagnose the issue, then I came by with my laptop and within 2 minutes had the shop foreman agreeing and replacing the alternator :) then the next day they were just supposed to fix a factory sub that went out... they said they cant find an issue and to bring it back in a few weeks and they will look again... so again here I go with my own testing and diagnostic to which the amp needed to be replaced... they ordered one in, I put it in myself in the parking lot and let the tech get paid, and bam... it was fixed :) 3rd time was to try and fix my paint they screwed up... after they made it worse I ended up paying a guy to fix it

thats just wrong ! :mad

I refuse to go to dealerships. I've heard to many horror stories from the Syclone and Typhoon guys. My favorite is that a guy took his Syclone in for some warranty work and they told him he wasn't very smart because he voided his warranty once he put the turbo on his truck. He just took his keys, turned around and left. It really depends on the budget that he wants to try and stay in.