Key problem! Please help

dmaleck

So I just got back from vacation and the airlines lost my keys on my checked bag.........So I went and got a new key made up at courtesy chevrolet got back home and the key wont work.....The key turns all my ignition and what not on but when I go to crank it does nothing. I got 2 codes which are B2721 and P1631 Which are both Vats key codes....I Don't know if they used the wrong Chip on mine which is suppose to be a #2 or if somewhere in my cars life someone changed the Pcm/Ecm and changed which Vats code I need??? So my question is how to I find out WHICH vats key I need if a #2 is not working? Does it need to be reprogrammed? Any help is greatly appreciated because I have no mode of transportation so I need to get this fixed quickly. Thanks!

So this is what the Stealership sais......We have to try every Vats key 1-15 and between every key if it doesnt work we need to wait 45 mins to try the next one....so Now im looking at 2 hrs labor he said. Is he BSing me? They cant use a tech 2 and find out which Vats I need?

I would start by seeing if there is any service history the dealer may have on file that shows the VATS having repair work performed. This may detail what the new module was keyed to. Otherwise, you will need to ensure the dealer indeed cut the key with the right resistor pellet for your car. A number 2 pellet should be about 525 ohms.

I see you posted again while I was posting. When I worked for GM, we had to cut 15 keys and try them all before. Usually for rental car companies. We charged them for all15 keys, but usually not any labor. I am not aware of a Tech II feature allowing you to discern what resistor pellet is required. Good Luck.

Derek, I read if you can find a locksmith that has this ( J35628, PASS-Key Interrogator), it can determine what resistor-pellet key is needed without having to do trial/error of 15 keys.

I don't think it can. It can tell you the resistor value of the key you have, but will only show a match if the proper key is inserted into the ignition. It has been may moons, but if I recall, the 1-15 shot in the dark is the only way. For Derek's sake, I hope I am incorrect.

WELL, I think you are correct Two Snails! BUT I went to Sands Chevy and had them double check the Key that Courtesy Chevy made for me and.....Yeh the lady sold me a #6 key and I need a #2!!! He had to order one so it should be here tmrw by noon. Hopefully that fixes the problem!

Quicksilver98

Incompetence......its everywhere! I guess they figure we got nothing better to do but run from one dealership to another and have their work double checked!

Incompetence......its everywhere! I guess they figure we got nothing better to do but run from one dealership to another and have their work double checked!

Couldn't agree more!! Especially when I'm having friends drive me everywhere when they got stuff to do! lol

The Kent Tool Interrogator (Model J 35628) will read the VATS value that the car is looking for. I would hope most dealerships would have it but ..... Sounds like you are almost there. Good luck

AZ57, it has been a long time, but I think you and James are right. My first recollection was we used the interrogator to find out what key we had, and then determine if we had a problem in the column wiring or module. But there must have been times when we needed to check the key the car was asking for. Looking back, there had to be a reason why the rental car thing stuck in my head, I bet it was because we had to cut 15 keys for their customers that lost their keys off-site. I distinctly remember our porters running around with a pocketful of keys to get a rental car running from time to time. Thanks or bringing this back up, it may help someone that need VATS help in the future.

UPDATE: So Sands chevy ordered a key from Courtesy Chevy yesterday and they "Forgot" to grab it today!! Dealerships a frickin ridiculous, I had to rent this damn toyota Yaris and now I have to drive it for ANOTHER day! Words can't describe how pissed I am.

Finally got the right key.....what a pain. All is good now, Unless someone has a keyfob they dont need? Let me know thanks!

Glad to hear it finally worked out Derek, you can try to get a hold of Ed (member Blew X U) he should have a handful of used fob's in his desk drawer...

Glad to hear it finally worked out Derek, you can try to get a hold of Ed (member Blew X U) he should have a handful of used fob's in his desk drawer...

Along with some other things you don't want to touch...

• 10 years later...
On 6/21/2011 at 10:15 AM, az57chevy said:

The Kent Tool Interrogator (Model J 35628) will read the VATS value that the car is looking for. I would hope most dealerships would have it but ..... Sounds like you are almost there. Good luck

Not only dealerships but locksmith can also replace the key at a reasonable cost.

4 hours ago, RickAlbert said:

Not only dealerships but locksmith can also replace the key at a reasonable cost.

I'm sure your post is useful/helpful, but the thread is 10+ years old. Surely he had it fixed by now?

1 hour ago, Buccaneer said:

I'm sure your post is useful/helpful, but the thread is 10+ years old. Surely he had it fixed by now?

And a Houston locksmith might be a loooong wait  :)