NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

Update on C4orce2 and Project C4orce

C4orce2

As some of you know, Alan Colvin, the former editor of Corvette Fever, was Kim Madsen's best friend. Over the years they worked together on several corvette projects and many of Kim's restored or modified cars had articles written about them that appeared in that publication. When Kim first started working on my car, he and Alan decided that it would be C4orce2 since it was the second car in the project that replaced an LT1 with a LS engine. Of course mine was the first to use a LS3 "hot cam". Kim also owned the original C4orce car. They had decided that once C4orce2 was complete they would run an article on the build in Corvette Fever. Unfortunately, before that happened, Alan left the magazine and it eventually went out of publication. I was able to talk to Alan for a short time at Kim's memorial service. He is not sure if Project C4orce will go anywhere at this time. He is involved in other projects and of course very few C4 owners would be crazy enough to do what we did to my C4. He is planning on writing an article on the build and putting it on his website and dedicating the build to Kim and I agreed with that. If you look at the big forum you will see that a lot of C4 owners are doing engine swaps, usually with LSX, LS1 or LS2 engines. Have not seen anyone use an LS3 "hot cam" eventhough I do not understand why not. So the C4s will live on for many years to come and many will be new and improved. My car is running great. I have over 10,000 miles on the new engine and no problems at all except for an issue with the fans. Twice they have quit working or refused to turn on when they should. Last week after the Father's Day run I was in traffic with the AC on and all of a sudden the fans shut off and the engine heated up to 245 quickly. Wes and I discussed the issue and came up with an easy solution: hot wire the fans to run all the time when the engine is running. Will not hurt anything and I will never worry about this problem again. For you C4 owners there is some potentially good news. Wes Burch, the guy who built my computer interface which ties my old computer to my new GM E67 and saves all my ditigal readouts, is working on a new computer that will, in my case, replace the old C4 computer and my computer interface. He is doing that since the old C4 computers are starting to have problems and it is getting increasingly harder and harder to repair or replace them. His new computer will tie into a new GM computer and whatever engine is in the car and save all the ditigal readouts. He designed the first interface for his '91 because his old computer was starting to give him problems. I will be one of the first to get his new computer. He will have to design several variations of the new computer since it will be used with a couple of different new GM computers to run the engine, and of course several different types of engines. For example, he is still running his L98 in his '91 so his new computer will be configured to work with his new GM computer and his L98. My new computer will be different since my new GM computer is an E67 and I'm running the LS3 "hot cam". However, once he has worked out the different variations, he will be able to market his new computer along with the new GM computers that will replace the old worn out C4 computers. By the way, when he put a new GM computer in his '91 and tied it together with his old computer with a computer interface, both his hp and his mpg increased, just by having the new GM computer run the L98. If all goes according to his plans, he should have a very marketable product that will prolong the life of any C4!!

Thanks for the update. It's a shame the C4orce program has stalled, especially under these sad circumstances. My ERod swap looks like it will happen. There are still a couple of details to think through & minor schedule questions (vacations etc.) but no show stoppers.