Tuning - Bidding War

Tim

I need to finally give my C6 a good professional tune to see what I can get out of my LS2 without mods (well I do have a couple mods - two new tree air fresheners :willy :willy). The best price, for the most HP wins. 1 additional criteria, gotta let me do some the work. Tucson would be my first choice, but I'd take a day off an drive up to Phx.

Desertdawg

The best price, for the most HP wins.

I can get you 10 HP for $100.00

Chad can get you 1000 HP for $10,000.00

You decide which is the best price for the HP... :lol

Go with the reputation of the tuner!

yep ... gotta hang with the Dawg on this one .... I do beleive we have only one guy who does it best ....

Steve@LPM

I need to finally give my C6 a good professional tune to see what I can get out of my LS2 without mods (well I do have a couple mods - two new tree air fresheners :willy :willy).

The best price, for the most HP wins.

1 additional criteria, gotta let me do some the work.

Tucson would be my first choice, but I'd take a day off an drive up to Phx.

The "best price" on tunes usually blows up a lot of motors.

My question would be.... why tune a stock motor? IMHO it doesn't pay until you get cam, header and an intake. Then I would highly suggest it but until then you're pouring money down the proverbial rat hole.

Well I wasn't thinking of driving in to DDawg's backyard and pulling the block. (No offense, I'm sure his backyard is nice enough) nor am I willing to shell out 10k right now, (in the middle of creating a uber powerplant for my Mustang - 351 CJ head hookingup with my 302 and a CJ intake = $$). I'll make some phone calls.

There is a proverb about pouring money down a rat hole? Also if you can get 1000 horsepower for only $10k, go for it.

Two Fangs

Good tunes aren't cheap and cheap tunes ain't good.

Also, why tune an engine that has not had the volumetric efficiency changed? What are you hoping to accomplish?

Also, why tune an engine that has not had the volumetric efficiency changed? What are you hoping to accomplish?

I did make a change TO the volumetric...tossed out those pesky air filters.....nothing but fresh air getting in there now!!!!

(THAT'S JOKE.)

Since this is my first corvette that doesn't have a crank in the front, I was pretty sure that the factory tune and subsequent dealer tune would leave some room for tweaking. Even my wife's New RX has room for that.

So WHO WANTS TO PUT A FRIGGIN' SUPER CHARGER AND A FRIGGIN' CAM IN MY FRIGGIN' LS2? CAUSE I'M JUST FINDING OUT THAT 400 FRIGGIN' HP ISN'T ENOUGH ANY MORE!!! AND TOSS IN A SET OF THESE TOO!!!-----> :cherye:

<GRIN>

There is a proverb about pouring money down a rat hole?

Also if you can get 1000 horsepower for only $10k, go for it.

Yes Ted there is...my wife coined..... It started as "Put $10k in a 1970 standard coupe Mustang engine and engine bay restoration and another 10 G's in body work for a car that will never be worth more than 13 G's and lets rebuild the engine again." But she had to shorten to the "pouring money down rat hole" version, it's catchier.

TigerVette

:agree

The tune should be in line with the goal/desired use of the engine.

When you're shopping with value in mind, don't skimp on expertise.

Are you just wanting some dyno numbers for bragging rights or are you looking for real world performance changes? I'll cut .15 seconds off your 1/4 mile time for $15 and even let you do the 15 minutes of labor. :yesnod I think you can get Dawg to photochop a dyno chart to any number you'd like for about the same price. :smilelol Just for reference, there was a guy at Speedworld with a late model supercharged cammed Mustang bragging about his 735 HP dyno numbers. He asked what mods I had (CAI, headers, conv, tune)and laughed about my trailer hitch. We lined up together and he lost by nearly a full second. Moral is: Paper HP doesn't mean $hlt if you can't put it on the ground.

Paper HP doesn't mean $hlt

Perfect tagline for you Tom! :LolLol:

Although I'd say it counts in sales and marketing... :Dave:

Seriously - I don't have a specific goal...oh wait..yes More HP. I don't want an un-street-able rubber eater - it's my daily driver. But I don't want a 2011 Mustang cleaning clock at a red light either. So at some stage I want to end up with 100 to 150 more horses...DONE PROPERLY. But I want to see what adjustments were possible with the original hardware and computer, first, if any. I haven't cracked a book yet to look the possibility.

Loud Pedal

Marco, I'm so gonna kill you. :facepalm::lol

Guest LOUDMIKE

I did make a change TO the volumetric...tossed out those pesky air filters.....nothing but fresh air getting in there now!!!!

(THAT'S JOKE.)

Since this is my first corvette that doesn't have a crank in the front, I was pretty sure that the factory tune and subsequent dealer tune would leave some room for tweaking. Even my wife's New RX has room for that.

So WHO WANTS TO PUT A FRIGGIN' SUPER CHARGER AND A FRIGGIN' CAM IN MY FRIGGIN' LS2? CAUSE I'M JUST FINDING OUT THAT 400 FRIGGIN' HP ISN'T ENOUGH ANY MORE!!! AND TOSS IN A SET OF THESE TOO!!!-----> :cherye:

<GRIN>

Well we are not into bidding wars. Great tunes for good prices. I kinda look at it like this. I can put in a set of these :cherye: for the cost of a couple water ballons, a sharp knife, needle and some thread. It would be fun until one of the balloons exploded. Not comparing your wife's worth to the Corvette but you wouldn't bid war boobs for her why bid war a tune for your car??

ok...bidding war was suppose to be funny...I'll wander over the the Rodney Dangerfield forum. _______________________ / ^ / / ^ / / unfunny / / Post / _________________________________________

Seriously -

I don't have a specific goal...oh wait..yes More HP.

I don't want an un-street-able rubber eater - it's my daily driver. But I don't want a 2011 Mustang cleaning clock at a red light either.

So at some stage I want to end up with 100 to 150 more horses...DONE PROPERLY.

But I want to see what adjustments were possible with the original hardware and computer, first, if any.

I haven't cracked a book yet to look the possibility.

Other than slapping on a blower/turbo, an extra 100-150 HP won't be a pleasant DD. Either way, you'll need to mod your clutch, axles, tires, and driving habits to suit the extra power.

You already can beat that 2011 Mustang if you're a good driver and he isn't. But he'll show you his tail lights, even with another 150 HP, if he's the good driver and you aren't.

Blk n Blu

Paper HP doesn't mean $hlt

Perfect tagline for you Tom! :LolLol:

:agree

Two Fangs

Moral is: Paper HP doesn't mean $hlt if you can't put it on the ground.

I agree.

As the old adage goes, the one thing that a 400 HP and 1400 HP street car have in common is a 12 second timeslip.

For me, I want 1000 HP to say I have it. No other reason really. Call me selfish. :lol

Loud Pedal

Oh, I don't know... The grin stuck on your face for an hour after blasting down an on ramp in 3rd smoking them to a buck 10 is hard to describe. :eek:edward: Sorry... back to the bidding war.

Oh, I don't know... The grin stuck on your face for an hour after blasting down an on ramp in 3rd smoking them to a buck 10 is hard to describe. :eek:edward:

Sorry... back to the bidding war.

:agree About the smile, but it's because I do it going up an on ramp to a buck 10 without smoking the tires. :edward:

• 3 weeks later...

Alright I didn't want to get to far into this as it turned into some very good points... I was just trying to see who the local tuners were... did we establish anyone in Tucson? I need a tune and have modifications and well... I need to get this thing tuned soon.

I can't tell if this thread is serious, or a joke. But if you want a good tune, you should do your research and ask people who tuned their cars what they would recommend. It's also nice to see a large group of cars that have been tuned by someone and all their cars work and put down good numbers. You also need to realize that a good tune won't always put down the best peak hp numbers, there are lots of factors.

NicD is the tune guru and I beleive he works out of LPM these days? That's my story and I'm sticking to it! -Frank